Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know in Austrailia spiders are killers. I really appreciate that photo.

Apes tell lies and kill for the same reasons as us. The idea Aliens would be nice is unlikely. Wasps in their own way can be. English wasps no doudt a bit eccentric? As they say " don't try this at home". We have places in Oxford almost as dangerous as can be. People walk through them with abandon. The same people treat wasps as nuclear devices. Funny thing is in Oxford walk 100 metres the other way and all is fine. The Police are never there, you can be sure of that. They have important reports to file. You know I have a brainwave. Why not make all reports verbal onto a memory stick and have someone type it up? My son could do that as he types very fast. Doubtless the officer redrafts it later ( keep original ). We might get better reports as they will be ASAP recorded. My son would cost 2/3 the policeman and not get shot at so often.

I listened to this last night ( 1929 stereo, hear the Carnival of the Animals ). The OB speakers really suit it. One small advantage over my SMGa. The stereo is wider. I have to say in some ways 1929 is higher fi. Woodwind is better. It is not digital as the problem as MP3 is babt food and yet says it all. Still sounds correct. Most modern stuff has a blue mist arround the players. This is nothing to do with treble. Close microphones perhaps?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozxezwy-cjM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGt9uXmTd8A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDZLoRGIUa8

Dejan. As I understand it we use talking to boost the use of our brains. Original sin perhaps was talking as it implants ideas. " Don't think of Elephants " for example. Even a strongly rejected idea is implanted. I sometimes wonder if the people of the middle east encountered what Star Trek forbids. The half understood stories became health laws. Of all the strange things the heallth laws are very modern. Those people were first to use a true alphabet rather than symbols I beleive. An alphabet is data compression. Reading is truely how it works best. Since coming here I have had to find new ways to say things as I am way outside of my comfort zone. I am pleased I did as unexspectedly I find better reasons to beleive things I always did. One is experts were more expert in the past. That's because today it is more of a fashion parade.

To tell you similar. My neighbour of old said I was wasting my time charging a battery on a concrete floor. Me being a moderately qualified electrical engineer made no difference. His brother had told him and that's all he needed to know. When it worked he possibly said I cheated and took his advice. That's what we are up against. Dolphins are better.

Parrots are hooked up differently. They work in DOS if you like. This gives them almost the same intelligence as a dogs. Parrots can actually speak. That is if carefully trained in things that interest them then they say more than just repeat things.

If evolution theory is correct ( I say too simplistic as is the usual alternative ) the more important part of our brains is the bird part. It likes music I am told.

... Nobody really knows how they do it, but they do do it. How does a dog I have never seen and which has never seen me KNOW 6 feet away, before it can smell me over, that I am a friend and easily sort of glide over, tail working hard?...

Dogs come from social animals and it's reading your body language just like it did in it's pack. Further, we selectively bred them and kept the ones that were good at reading us.

No magic, animals are just so much better than us in some skills it seems like magic. Humans are just all distracted and caught-up with our thinkin' and talkin' . :D

Real data on animals is way cooler than the made up, ideologically motivated stuff like they "don't lie", have "special powers", are a "mystery", ... ;)

Just like real cosmology is way cooler and mind-blowing and ... alien than anything any religion or philosophy ever made up.

Cheers,
Jeff

Last edited:
I know in Austrailia spiders are killers. I really appreciate that photo.
Not all are killers of humans, but killers of insects yes most certainly.
Huntsmans are no threat, White Tails can cause infection and flesh necrosis, Sydney Funnel-Web can kill, and Redbacks hide under toilet seats awaiting low hanging fruits.
I listened to this last night ( 1929 stereo, hear the Carnival of the Animals ). The OB speakers really suit it. One small advantage over my SMGa. The stereo is wider. I have to say in some ways 1929 is higher fi. Woodwind is better. It is not digital as the problem as MP3 is baby food and yet says it all. Still sounds correct. Most modern stuff has a blue mist arround the players. This is nothing to do with treble. Close microphones perhaps?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozxezwy-cjM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGt9uXmTd8A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDZLoRGIUa8
Interesting stuff.
I would say they sound ok, but not better than Am radio really, sorry Nige.

Dan.

I must admit I don't much like spiders, but I don't go around squashing them either.They have their place in the Grand Scheme of Things as everything living does.

Jeff (audio Lpa Dance - are you sure it's only audio lap dance?) I agree, facts are preferred to folk tales. When I was samll, I actually made friends with resident mouse, the common home type, small, white and quite cute. From his initla running off like crazy when he saw us humans, in the end he would approach and literally eat from my fingers holding food he used. I fed him, and in return he never raided out kitchen, much less the fridge. I honestly liked him, he was so easy to get along with, so undemanding, all he wanted was food. It's easy to relate, when hungry all I want is food, I had no dogs or cats, so there ws nothing to threaten him. While small, he was not stupid, he knew he had a good deal, and I tried to vary his diet after observing what he liked. He was nuts on emmentaler cheese and he dearly loved apples. We moved later, so I don't know what became of him.

More Animal Deceptions....

I must admit I don't much like spiders, but I don't go around squashing them either.They have their place in the Grand Scheme of Things as everything living does.
Yes, of course.
When I was small, I actually made friends with resident mouse, the common home type, small, white and quite cute. From his initial running off like crazy when he saw us humans, in the end he would approach and literally eat from my fingers holding food he used. I fed him, and in return he never raided out kitchen, much less the fridge.
Nice story, I would have done the same.
One question, where did he leave his (smelly) by products, that is the only problem !.

I heard a radio documentary a while back about a pet pig.
This pig had a sleeping hammock in the owners bedroom, all good apparently, any mess made was done outside.
One problem was the pig had an affinity for potatoes, and learned to open cupboards to raid the stash.
The home owner resorted to storing her potatoes in the fridge.
The pig worked out how to open the fridge, stole the potatoes and then hid the plastic bag under the hammock.
Pretty funny I reckon.

Dan.

Not quite sure which turntable that was. I have a new and very interesting project which would seem a bit doomed from the start. I will see if I can get permission to say about it, it won't be for a few months as I have doubts about them understanding the size of what they have taken on and money needed. There are secrecy agreeements that protect me with this one. Haven't worked out if that is a two way street yet. Why it might suceed is I have experiance in production engineering and have already said we do one small thing at a time. No trying all and everything. Take a well understood ( oh yeah ) principle and do very small improvements. Choosing the motor is number one and if idler is possible. This part of the project is very interesting as I am forced to try a new route. I have lent a Garrard 401 and 501 bearing. I hope they understand if they can not equal 401 best to give up. 401 is a bit like Concorde. Later things are not better.

I am using an LP12 at the moment. It will be joy to get something different to try. A Lenco GL75 would be great. Like the cobbler I have the worse shoes. LP12 is rether good if I am honest. Ekos arm more so.

There is a record cleaning machine. This is the design of Percy Wilson and Edgar German ( as best I know Edgar G as he tried to keep in the shadows ) from circa 1960. By 1964 Percy had perfected it . In 1968 Audio and Design Maidenhead ltd made a version later callled Monks. Many of the Monks designs were shown by Audio and Design first. Keith Monks worked for them. My claim to fame is the Loricraft version which has a few tweaks. Recently I was approached by a friend to do a similar machine. I put him and Loricraft together. Again when I am at liberty to say I will. This machine if all goes well will retail below the price of a middle range pick up arms. It has one of thoese and perhaps 100 extra parts. It has been a struggle to get the price down. I am almost certain it will be made in Europe! It has been seen at a few shows as a prototype so I hope not far from being made.

Have been helping with a Shindo Garrard 301. We suspect the platter has been repainted or fake? Somehow the drive rim has been painted. Some say this is standard! The Shindo bearing is weird ( if it is a Shindo , other Shindo look similar). It is longer than Garrard which is already long at about 4 inches. Shindo about 50% longer. There then seems to be a mini ball race ( 6 ) like a Garrard LAB 80 or £6 BSR that supports on a circa 1/2 inch ball. All very weird. The balls can be heard when a contact mic fitted to the bearing base. One Shindo is listed at $32 000. Buy a 401 or better still a Lenco. I heard a Lenco eat a Technics SP10 for breakfast. The guy owned both. Through ATC monitors that were almost Shindo money and almost worth it. Very compact considering the sound.

We built a Shindo style platter and were not happy. 301 is supreme on the supposed Linn timing quality. Heavy platters give more bass with less attack. As the 301 has supurb bass it seems a strange move.

The Philips Motional Feedback system actually had a rather long and fruitful life, both badged as Philips and Grundig.

How many here have actually heard it in action?

I had the good fortune to hear all three size versions Philips offered, as a 2 Way 8" bass, 3 way 8# bass and 3 way 12" bass. AS you might imagine, the big 'un more or less did waht one would have expected, really very well, and even though it was hardly cheap, I feel it was actually worth more than the asking price would have you expect. It's only relative shortcoming (not much of one, but still) was the high range Philips "yellow" dome tweeter, which could not compete with the likes of say Infinity's planar tweeters.

The really BIG surprise were the two models with 8" bass drivers. I believe I have never heard such deep, clean and well controlled bass from anyone which could catch up with these models.

Since they were active speakers, the question of the power source was off the table. On the other hand, the High End people hated them precisely because of that, it took away their choice of amplification

Later on, in the mid-80ies, Grundig had a top of the line model which used 2 8" bass drivers in parallel and in many ways, that was the pinnacle of the lot. Superb sound all around, and despite the relatively high price of the day, I do believe they could take ANYBODY on with no blushing.

These days, you can have them for almost funny money when you take into account the fact that you get the amplification with them. A while ago, on a local sell all site, the asking price for the medium model was €200, or about US$ 250. In full working condition, of course.

DT-74/8 - Monacor miniature HiFi dome tweeter 30Wmax 8 Ohm - Europe Audio
https://tapatalk.com/tapatalk_image...vZC8xNC8wMi8wMS9vcmlnaW5hbC9hYmVxZXBlYi5qcGc=

I am buying a cheap pair of tweeters for my OB's. As the 12 Lta is like a Dynaco in being OK with natural roll off I will try to feed in at 8 kHz. This tweeter has a key advantage. It can match the 99 dB/ watt of the 12 Lta. I hope 1 st order will be OK and will try just 2u2 250 V polyester direct to the Quad 303 33.5 V centre voltage. Monacor recomend 5 kHz 2nd order. An interesting choice . Monacor say not unlike a ribbon ! The tweeter should give up to 15 kHz and perhaps 18 . As I am happy with the sound I need very little to make it that bit better. Listening to Kate Bush last night I realsied the sparkle that makes her recording specail is not there. Nor can it be if looking at the graphs. The example I give in the link is about right. I am using active EQ.

Dan. Usually heaphones are the only way to fully know 78's. These OB's speakers are far better than headphones. That is a first for me ( I have Stax ). It is odd how much is lost via what we accept as hi fi. The stereo 78's are like spaced omni microphones. Somehow that isn't made clear usually. The OB's sometimes fail to sound specal. Treble must be the reason. It is surprising to find that most recordings are not treble fussy. The Spendor BC1's I repaired told me good treble is a bonus. In some ways the BC1's are as much in need of improvement as these OB speakers. The Spendor suddenly has no bass. Other times it has plenty. I suspect this is ported spekers in general. The Dynaco A25 doesn't do this as badly. Both the Spendor and Dynaco pretend to have no box. Then out of nowhere they do. I find that very hard to live with. I find Quad 63's similar in balance to BC1's . Whilst they do not have a box sound they seem to have musical preferences. That is no good for me. Klipsche Forte 2 suited me very well. The Heresey is them in a wild version ( not my cup of tea ). If you can imagine BC1 and Heresey together that's about right.

The OB seem slightly better than BC1's on BBC voice test. Seeing as BC1 is BBC LS5/8 ( ? ) with a ITT/AKG/STC super tweeter that is not bad. The box quality makes voice sound boxy. The ply of my speakers does sound coloured. BC1 also. It is better than most. I dare say the BC1 measures better ( 500 Hz to 5 kHz ) . It is the box that I can not ignore. The little balls of toilet paper to the wizzer cone are still there with the 12 Lta. They work. Not needed with low mass baffle. I could take the dust cap off. I won't. If I did I would try a phase plug. Goodness knows how to design that. I suspect most just guess?

The most difficult part is I have a 15 inch bass I should use. Unlike the 12 Lta it needs careful active filter design ( Qts is 1.2 , seems about right for the job ) . That is 30 Hz to 250 Hz. This would allow the 12 Lta to be coupled at 250 Hz and perhaps using 80 uF polyester or whatever to the Quad 303 33.5 V. 4 x 22 uF 100 V or motor cap. The Bass could be Hypex I have.

I have been watching 1940's films. The speakers sound like the old cinemas. It is surprising how many small sounds usually go missing. At times it is almost real. Train sounds and birds!

Epwfuvy.jpg

Sorry the grabs are so poor. You can see the 12 Lta is Qts of 0.5 and the Fo about 50 Hz. The 15 inch about 1.2 and 30 Hz. 12 Lta is the lower graph. The bass unit is a cheap Chinese job. It looks good and measures well. It is a repair part for very nasty PA speakers. They cost £30 a piece if careful where you buy. The magnet is larger than some.

Nige, I don't know what "cheap" is, but assuming really cheap, think about possible 2 tweeters in parallel or series (whichever is more covenient), or go ballistic and use 4 dome tweeters, 3 firinig laft, center and right, with fourth firing upwars. A series-parallel connection will probably be necessary. Remember, because of their relativey low power nadling, tweeters are usually the most vulenrable part of any speaker, and in this case you'd have 4 times the nominal power, plus a dispertion pattern no other system I know of can hope to match.

The bitch of course is equalizing levels, but I think it can be done.

Dan. Usually heaphones are the only way to fully know 78's. These OB's speakers are far better than headphones. That is a first for me ( I have Stax ). It is odd how much is lost via what we accept as hi fi. The stereo 78's are like spaced omni microphones. Somehow that isn't made clear usually. The OB's sometimes fail to sound special. Treble must be it.
I have been watching 1940's films. The speakers sound like the old cinemas. It is surprising how many small sounds usually go missing. At times it is almost real. Train sounds and birds!
I have a pair of Stax ES phones so we are on that same page !.
Funny you should mention 'cinema sound'.
That was my impression of listening to your YouTube links on my B system....that 'old timey' signature, ie limited bandwidth, and not particularly clean.
On my standard type B system speakers I did not find these recordings particularly impressive sonically, historically yes.

I also question the technique of manually attempting to sync two recordings...in studio world that is called flanging.
Much better to load both recordings into a DAW and time sync/time stretch to get correct mutual sync over the whole recording period.
With this done correctly the real recorder position dependent differences would then produce the proper spatially dependent/stereo resultant.

Dan.

The Philips Motional Feedback system actually had a rather long and fruitful life, both badged as Philips and Grundig.

How many here have actually heard it in action?

I had the good fortune to hear all three size versions Philips offered, as a 2 Way 8" bass, 3 way 8# bass and 3 way 12" bass. AS you might imagine, the big 'un more or less did waht one would have expected, really very well, and even though it was hardly cheap, I feel it was actually worth more than the asking price would have you expect. It's only relative shortcoming (not much of one, but still) was the high range Philips "yellow" dome tweeter, which could not compete with the likes of say Infinity's planar tweeters.

The really BIG surprise were the two models with 8" bass drivers. I believe I have never heard such deep, clean and well controlled bass from anyone which could catch up with these models.
I was a little surprised to learn that Jack Renner, chief engineer of Telarc, used a pair of Philips motional feedback speaker for around 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.