Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't need anyone to tell me what I hear is not real. I hear what I hear, and usually my designs are successful. It is ONLY when, as I have sometimes done in the past, I did NOT listen to my design, but just relied on measurements, that I have failed. Still, with my new test equipment, I hope to find even more measurements that might correlate well with listening. Right on, DVV and Rayma.

Best wishes, John, and may you have many more successes. You and Gordon Holt have been the "best of breed" in audio.

"As far as the real world is concerned, high-end audio lost its credibility during the 1980s, when it flatly refused to submit to the kind of basic honesty controls (double-blind testing, for example) that had legitimized every other serious scientific endeavor since Pascal. [This refusal] is a source of endless derisive amusement among rational people and of perpetual embarrassment for me, because I am associated by so many people with the mess my disciples made of spreading my gospel."

-Gordon Holt

No time to reply, I'm off to Sears for a new stereo. They all sound the same, didn't you know?

Funny those who "trust their ears", won't when asked to in the presence of others (not of their own posse, of course).

Let's see now, no claim is too extreme. BrandR resistors made the day before a big holiday sounded "off", obvious to everyone in the room in 30 seconds. :rolleyes:

"As far as the real world is concerned, high-end audio lost its credibility during the 1980s, when it flatly refused to submit to the kind of basic honesty controls (double-blind testing, for example) that had legitimized every other serious scientific endeavor since Pascal. [This refusal] is a source of endless derisive amusement among rational people and of perpetual embarrassment for me, because I am associated by so many people with the mess my disciples made of spreading my gospel." -Gordon Holt

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

Notice that in this quote, Gordon did NOT say that he used DBT, and I know for a fact that he did not.

Gordon could amazingly absorb the "gestalt" of the sound of a product accurately in a very brief time.
The only test equipment he had in the eighties (when I knew him) was an inverse RIAA box. He used it to
play his on location master tapes into a phono stage for listening tests. He believed and trusted his ears.
Of course, he had the experience and innate ability to back up this trust

Last edited:
He could amazingly absorb the "gestalt" of the sound of a product accurately in a very brief time.
The only test equipment he had in the eighties (when I knew him) was an inverse RIAA box.
He believed and trusted his ears. Of course, he had the experience and innate ability to back up this trust.
It's quite easy to do this - pick up the "gesalt" ... it's the immediate impression you get of the sound, before you've had a chance to "analyse" it; the intuitive sense of whether it's "right, or wrong" is all-important. If you have to focus on the sound, and try to work out what it's doing "right", then it's already failed the test ... when was the last time you heard a real brass band, and said to yourself, "Hmmm, I wonder if that is good sound or not ...?" ;)

kgrlee, with plenty of hands on experience in the game, was very adamant about the need to do DBTs in a fashion that suited the participant, not the experimenter - unless the person doing the test is completely comfortable, at his ease, with no sense of pressure, then the results will be pretty flakey ...

kgrlee, with plenty of hands on experience in the game, was very adamant about the need to do DBTs in a fashion that suited the participant, not the experimenter - unless the person doing the test is completely comfortable, at his ease, with no sense of pressure, then the results will be pretty flakey ...

No problem with that, just do it DB. Nope too much face to lose. Really Frank, those that claim demagnetising LP's has a "dramatic" effect have no face to lose?

Last edited:
Notice that in this quote, Gordon did NOT say that he used DBT, and I know for a fact that he did not.

Your fact is not entirely accurate. Did he use a DBT (or even a BT) always? No. Did he sometimes? Yes. Should he have used them more? Yes, but that's just my opinion. Would he if he were to do it again? I suspect so, given his attitudes later in life and quotes like this after he retired, but that's a cosmic sorta question.

He was very unhappy with the direction high end audio took. Too bad, a very smart guy, very skilled writer, did some great work, and in his interviews, he seemed to feel that he had created something he didn't recognize any more. It's an unhappy way to look back at your life work.

No problem with that, just do it DB. Nope too much face to lose. Really Frank, those that claim demagnetising LP's has a "dramatic" effect have no face to lose?
There is a problem with too much emotional baggage tied up with POVs in audio, on both sides, for a variety of reasons. Best thing is to calm down, clear the decks, and just look at one aspect of reproduction, and one aspect only, in a well organised DB environment, and see that what that brings up - and move forward from there ...

Status
Not open for further replies.