Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Brianco

I'm not surprised you do, I loved it there to and realized I could easily live there.

ALTHOUGH, and I feel a need to say this, the Brits are most unjustly typeset as cold, souless buggers, which I know from my own life there for 3 years (september 1967-July 1970) is absolutely wrong and most unfair.

I was in the countryside of Somerset, surrounded by farms. I see no essential difference worth mentioning between a British and a Serbian farmer, other than the obvious, language and local customs. Very kind people if you only take the minor trouble of talking to them and waving as you pass by. That's all it takes.

Before you know it, you offered a pint of cider, but not the one from the front yard, that's for the tourists, but the barrels from the back yard, that's the one for house guests. I know Somerset is D Zider County, but I tell - NOBODY else anywhere makes cider like that, upon my life. That stuff raises the dead.

The one and only problem I did have was during the first month of my stay, and that was the language. First day out I couldn't understand a damn thing, but in a month or so, all was well.

I know this to be so also because I went through it all over again but this time in Holland. ne of my wife's co-authors has his dad running a farm, and he took us there one lovely weekend. Dad was an elderly man who spoke suprisingly good English, a few grammar slip-ups here and there, but absolutely able to make himself completely understood. He just loved the way I etablished contact with his two dogs, he had no way of knowing that I love dogs in general, and said something to the effect that I was most probably a good man, or his dogs wouldn't cuddle up to me like that, they smell a rotten apple a mile away.

All I can say is that people are wonderful if you just taje the time and trouble to talko to them with due respect.

One's Euphoria is another mans anathema .... :D

I said what I thought about the Magico Ultimate III in the Avantgarde Zero 1 section of this blog--it wasn't a good showing. I don't blame the speakers; the room was horrible, the setup inadequate, and the choice of music egregiously "hi-fi."

- Jonathan Valin

Best sound (that did cost a fortune)

Generally, my take on the matter is a simple one: if it quacks like a duck, and isn’t a duck, it’s a horn loudspeaker. Not a fan. However, two of the best sounding systems I heard from the cost-no-object end of things at Munich were paradoxically both horns. If you could get in (and weren’t subject to one of the 45-minute silent demonstrations because the bass from the room was swamping its neighbours) Magico’s Ultimate III lived up to the name in every respect. Standing pro-basketball player tall, weighing a healthy 363kg per side (excluding subwoofers), this $600,000 loudspeaker had a combination of big-horn effortless, and the typical Magico tight, deep bass.

- Alan Sircom

:)

One's Euphoria is another mans anathema .... :D
(and weren’t subject to one of the 45-minute silent demonstrations because the bass from the room was swamping its neighbours)
:)

Yup, just what I would expect. OTOH they did bust the myth that the bass can make you spontaneously empty your bowels, that would be embarassing having a room full of high rollers **** their pants.

Last edited:
Most people get off on bass because the drivers pump out so much harmonic distortion while doing so, beautifully flavouring the presentation. If a superbly pristine, super low distortion bass was experienced, with everything above low bass excluded, most would find it exceedingly boring.

A local member has a fully equalised, massive subwoofer with plenty of grunt for it - and what was the thing that was of special note? I was never aware of some primeval blob of thing throbbing away, trying to impress - I was just aware of music ...

All I can say is that people are wonderful if you just take the time and trouble to talk to to them with due respect.

That shall be the sum of the law. Very well said! Entirely accords with my own travels / travails, during which I fetched-up initially as a young furriner in some of the wilder bits of SE Asia and was treated with a courtesy, gentility and support I have only the very finest things to tell about. The kind of things that have usefully shaped my life as an adult for the better.

And Dejan - I'm sure we can find you some proper cider when next again you come this way ;)

Last edited:
Most people get off on bass because the drivers pump out so much harmonic distortion while doing so, beautifully flavouring the presentation. If a superbly pristine, super low distortion bass was experienced, with everything above low bass excluded, most would find it exceedingly boring.

A local member has a fully equalised, massive subwoofer with plenty of grunt for it - and what was the thing that was of special note? I was never aware of some primeval blob of thing throbbing away, trying to impress - I was just aware of music ...

That's not Bass Frank, it's distortion , good accurate bass doesn't do such, it's just powerful when demanded to do so and soft and gentle when necessary. Scott's issue is he hasn't experienced it yet...

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
That shall be the sum of the law. Very well said! Entirely accords with my own travels / travails, during which I fetched-up initially as a young furriner in some of the wilder bits of SE Asia and was treated with a courtesy, gentility and support I have only the very finest things to tell about. The kind of things that have usefully shaped my life as an adult for the better.

And Dejan - I'm sure we can find you some proper cider when next again you come this way ;)

I have found people everywhere I have been are nice.... 1st world to 3rd world. But, people (politians) who want to run a country and who also have a lot of money create the most trouble for and between peoples. What reason would a wealthy person have for running a country.... some want more money. But mostly they want what money can buy -- power/control. Power and control is above money and closest to God-like. In the distant past some in power were actually called Gods for this reason. Power and control is the final step-up from wealth/money. Best beware of those wanting positions which come with a lot of power and control. IMHO.

Presently in the midddle of watching over a military coupe. In this case, i am for the temporary military take over after the courts found the PM and cabinet were acting unconstitutionally and were setting up a dictatorship. They are really struggling for a government by and for the people.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I hear that you have to be home by 10.00 pm.
No late night partying for you this trip !.

Dan.

tiz true. not as bad as when we went out for dinner when the Maoist were on the rampage in Nepal and we were not told there was a shoot to kill and ask questions later type curfew. And all lights were banned at night. We were carefully lead around the corner and up onto a roof top cafe. I couldnt figure why all businesses were closed and there were no lights on. later, we were told of the curfew. I threw a minor fit---I would not have gone out if I knew. because it was serious war... you know... people being killed and all. This sort of thing happened to me several times in Asia... the locals dont want you to know anything is wrong.... they desperately need the business/money. Here, most stores are closed after 10 anyway. Just the pretty night girls and night clubs after 10.... I think I'll go out after 10pm tonight and see who is out there with me, if any one.

-Richard

Last edited:
At last I have started my OB speaker project with drive units for a box speaker project first . 5 inch to be replaced by 12 inch . A chance to test something unusual . Expecting something rather poor I am wrong . It is the quality of bass that is so different . Nearly always it says " you never heard that before " . I would say like a big pair of headphone with correct stereo . I suspect using my 15 inch PA driver I might get this set up to work so as to also feel the bass . The baffle is 2 x 4 feet . Like the Bose 901 much bass EQ , it works very well . What doesn't work is the cone excursion . Organ music a strength of this speaker ! I can hear the pipes as they are positioned . I would love to find a material like balsa wood for them at a sensible price . 2 inches thick would be ideal .

God knows I'd love to, Martin, I am truly missing ye olde England. Unfortunately, due to very high prices, UK has been all but taken off the list of countries where one wants to organize symposiums and congresses. Oddly enough, Amsterdam which is no less expensive still ranks high, but Barcelona seems to be THE "in" place. Wife been there early this month, going again in October.

As for cider, I'm always up for a pint, so long as it's in good company. My life has been made just a bit easier lately, somebody started importing Somersby cider. It's industrial stuff, a long way off home made brews, but hey, beggars can't be choosers, something is better than nothing.

BTW, visited Bath in 1969. Ever been to Ilfracombe?

Richard . I think you said about Vietnam ? My friend Colleen has it as a possible destination this year . I would settle for the boring Maldives if we have to . I hate drinking in a place where they disapprove yet allow it to have our money . Maldives are Muslim .

Mauritius would be my choice ( Cristian , Hindu ) . Like a good salesman I have to keep that hidden so as not to scare the punter ( Colleen ) .

Malaria is my concern . What do you take to prevent it? Is it true it must be taken for one month after returning ? The two M's are Malaria free ( 99% is my guess ) . Florida fights it all the time , it could return to the the UK very soon . Cyprus got rid of it in 1948 . Egypt claims to be free of it . Global warming the influencing factor . The Sahara a good thing , the Nile a bad thing for it's spread . Versailles France was drained pre-revolution to eradicate it .

It will be August which seems a daft time to go . As was said of Canada the UK has two seasons , Winter and August .

Dvv . Cider has made an enormous comeback . I make a drink using 70 % Cider and 30 % soda water . I am told the Aussies call it Rock Shandy . It means I can have a drink if the driver .

I nearly had a hi fi shop in Bath about 30 years ago . It would have been in one of four towers in the A4 road bridge ( circa 1750 ) . The top room our reception . Middle room for demos . Bottom for stock . We even had a small garden and boat mooring . The walls were so thick that no road noise was heard . My partner got cold feet . The lease was worded so as to imply we were responsible for bridge repairs . Unlike all the other towers we had a slip road with parking . It would have been very possible . He is now a film producer so I guess he did the right thing .

As for Cider I love the ubiquitous Strongbow , we can buy 20L for less than $40 . In the UK that is very cheap and the quality very high , I think it has improved over the years . That would be as bad as liking Bose speakers . Another drink that shocked me how good is Fosters Premium . I tried to get some Aussies to try it . No way would they . I bought some in the bargain bin for the kids ( 20 and 29 and still with Daddy ) ,I drank 80% of it .

As for the Scottish . It is the best education in the UK . As everyone has said very nice people and more generous than we English I suspect . The sad fact is that calling someone a person of any country is racism . Football teams are overt racism or tribalism . It is very hard to know where to draw the line . I am a racist . That is I look for the best in people and recognize how our cultures differ . Colleen still thinks it is unhealthy that I do . She just sees them as people . Sometimes she is wrong as that makes life boring .

Got that and hope all is OK for Richard . As said , I think he has visited Vietnam ? You know as bad as it is Malaria is a greater risk when going to exotic places . Guns you can hide from . I have had Dengue fever so have some caution . If I get it again it might not be too good . No treatment and no prevention for it . Like the strangest flu without some of the symptoms . Sweating like you can't imagine . Lasted about two weeks before the sweating stopped . Left the oddest taste in the mouth .

Nige

Status
Not open for further replies.