Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
I completely missed his passing away. I am truly sorry he's no longer with us, but 92 is a VERY ripe old age.

I would have liked to have met him in person.

I had only a few close encounters with Sidney, but one, when I was still in the doghouse for a blunder, I would cheerfully part with a kidney to have a good videotape of. But I recall it vividly. It worked out well --- I fed him straight lines and he and his top sidekick Bernie Girod riffed off of them to the delight of our meeting's audience. People told me that, following the meeting, he was in the best mood they had ever seen him in, and it lasted for the rest of the day.

Hi,

Ahhh, bulletproof loudspeakers, how convenient.

Funny you mention it. Quite a few years back in a Totenham Court Road HiFi Shop (when TCR still had HiFi Shops - which dates the episode) I observed a Sales Man giving a young couple the 3rd degree sales talk on a speaker using a Kevlar Cone.

He did pull the "bullet proof speaker" stunt and jabbed the bass driver several times with his biro to prove the point. The young couple where duly impressed. I had to exercise some of my best self control not to ROTFLMAO...

Ciao T

Reminds me of when Rich May was commenting obliquely on my protruding belly, which he described as underdamped.

We watch our weight. Actually, it is getting easier to see every year.

Amirid fiber I find curious for a cone. It has very high tensile strength, but very low rigidity. B&W has done quite well with it though. Glass has the odd ability to transfer vibration end to end through a composite, so that is probably why it has not been popular. Heavy too. Carbon has promise. Has anyone investigated boron fiber?

Hi,

Funny you mention it. Quite a few years back in a Totenham Court Road HiFi Shop (when TCR still had HiFi Shops - which dates the episode) I observed a Sales Man giving a young couple the 3rd degree sales talk on a speaker using a Kevlar Cone.

He did pull the "bullet proof speaker" stunt and jabbed the bass driver several times with his biro to prove the point. The young couple where duly impressed. I had to exercise some of my best self control not to ROTFLMAO...

Ciao T

And you let him live and multiply?

Tsk, tsk, stk ... even the Germans ain't what they used to be.

Audio hauptgruppenobersturmbahnfeuhrer Thorsten, I am shocked! :D :D :D I wonder if that same cone could withstand an attack by my Swiss army knife, which is forever in my pocket ... :rolleyes:

I had only a few close encounters with Sidney, but one, when I was still in the doghouse for a blunder, I would cheerfully part with a kidney to have a good videotape of. But I recall it vividly. It worked out well --- I fed him straight lines and he and his top sidekick Bernie Girod riffed off of them to the delight of our meeting's audience. People told me that, following the meeting, he was in the best mood they had ever seen him in, and it lasted for the rest of the day.

I think this shouldn't surprise you, BraD. Many top notch bosses, in my experience, react that way when faced with somebody who is not kissing their a*s and gives tham a straigh lowdown on what went wrong.

I had a similar experience with Philips in 1997. Their East and Southern Europe team screwed up a little, all my 25% compatriots, Austrians (all hapenning in Vienna), and only because they wouldn't listen. Anyway, I was the paid consultant, so they almost begged that I should tell the boss, who they said was a nasty Dutchman from Eindohoven. I thought about hara kiri and said OK.

Well, the "nasty" Dutchman was far removed from nasty, he's just a highly strung up guy with a million obligations; once taken out of the endless loop of obligations, and over a couple of espressos, he was really a very pleasant person I am glad to have met. When I told him what went wrong, I didn't beat around the bush, I gave it to him straight in 5 sentences. He just shrugged, said something like "S**t happens." and asked for my opinion. I told him how to do it differently, costing way less and being much more practical and easier to do, and a few smaller notes. He liked it and asked if I told his team that; of course I did, that's what you pay me for. We took about an hour and parted on the best of terms.

I was later told by the local boys and girls that he came in quite calm, said not to woory and to take my advice. They did, so the next time round, it all went down smoothly and EVERYBODY was happy. He came back and nobody got fired, they all got just a little ear rubbing for not listening to those they pay to advise them, and that I would be submitting my views in writing, which they should read.

After that, we all had celebration victory beers. :cool:

As you see Brad, more or less the same thing as with you. Top executives prefer to be told the simple truth, while they expect a lot of self-serving bull about all of it not being my fault by deafult, so the whole trick boils down to surprising them.

Last edited:
And that is the difference between top level and wanna be executives.

Working late a crew of mine bumped a man lift into a set of concrete stair risers. Think entire section of arena seats crumpled!

My field guy said "our fault." Big guy came in on Sunday, looked at it said "fixable." Monday the fix paper work started. One low level guy started to yell about how awful and careless.... Big boss said "Nah, they made a mistake and followed up correctly, cool down." Got the bill wasn't 200K! Not even close. Everybody was thrilled, except the insurance company. They were thinking pickup truck into high school bleachers. Took them a while to pay.

You get an idea of scale from the picture, as you can see the seating section was able to be repaired not replaced.

Attachments

• Seating Section.JPG
    Seating Section.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 195
Ed,

Wow, you must be quite horrorshow. Few snipers I know try for a headshot over body, especially at a distance. I'd prefer a bodyarmour defeating round and a body shot, but it takes all sorts and I'm really not very good.

Ciao T

It is not that head!

Many years back at a motorcycle show in Cleveland, the Hells Angels decided to attend. This offended the Pagans' who considered it their turf and considerably outnumbered the visitors. In the ensuing knife fight several were killed. A number of the visitors were seriously injured with body and limb cuts. However as the visitors held their knives low and slashed upward, far more of the home team were injured or castrated.

The moral of this story is that technique counts and stay away from motorcycle shows in Cleveland.

P.S. We cross posted and after reading yours', maybe the Swiss know how to use knives also!

P.P.S. Politics nothing this is B so far off topic it is plain silly. I am in today because production is behind schedule, and going nuts about it. The good news is it is a short trip to nuts.

Last edited:
On the subject of sound quality: I was following another thread related to tweeters and again a member expressed his great dislike for ferofluid, but when asked to elaborate could only refer to other posts most of which were not relevant. By measurement, ferofluid makes a bit easier load to drive and provides slightly better breakup resistance. The charts look prettier. I remember strong views expressed herein, so I am fishing on elaboration for and against. As both Seas and ScanSpeak offer both with and without, and looking at the measurements for with, would imply an advantage but disadvantages that are not obvious in measurements as published. But is this so sonically? Is this just another instance where "it depends" where one persons fault may be another's advantage?

Thodio

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...-S4NMfW8gPo7oxL&ved=0CEUQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=837

Go look at what they do . Too much of it is too correct for them to be fools . The price is high for a start .

Measuring or ears ? Well , also it's about having fun . There is a saying . The greatest truth often is spoken in jokes ( jest ) . The joke was bullet proof speakers and Panzer wood earlier in the thread . And composites like wood being contradictory in perception technically and by listening ( speaker cones ) . It 's a little bit strange we listen with machines mostly ? Be honest about it we do .

Status
Not open for further replies.