Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Let me put it this way.

1) First, your logic is based on a false premise, namely that the current Amplifier-Speaker interface (Voltage) is defined correctly and is beneficial and should be used in preference to alternatives.

With that fundamental flaw and the use of dynamic speakers "contra naturam" the rest is pointless. You are debating details of putting the horse behind the cart with someone who is looking what it takes to put the horse where it belongs.

Second, your logic lacks any demonstration of the leaps and bounts it takes. In other words, you do not demonstrate logically that A follows from B and C follows from B, you claim so and incorrectly.

2) Third, my comments are not based in this context you use, but in one where Speakers are driven correctly, in accordance with the nature of the device. Moreover, I have experience with such systems as well as with speakers where the fundamental resonance is damped by mechanical means, so at least I know what I am talking about.

Now to some specific points:

Just because you measure damping does not mean it is based on friction in the suspension. There is no such direct link. All you can do is to measure Qm and state that the system contains X mechanical damping with Y Linearity. You cannot in fact determine from the measurement how this damping is applied.

3) No. I mean the way in which it has been applied in german Studio monitor Drivers since the mid 1930's up to 1992, when the final inheritor of the Eckmiller legacy in Berlin closed doors.

So, what is the level of non-linearity introduced by a flow resistance. Hint, in east Germany we used flow resistances also for making cardioid Speaker columns that where cardioids down to around 150Hz, so I know how non-linear they are...

Qes is a very poor way to not "control" the speaker. Plus, if you think Qms is nonlinear, try measuring Qes nonlinearity.

What Qe attempts and miserably fails is to correct a mechanical problem by simple electrical means. In the process it actually causes by far more gross distortion all across the bandwidth of the speaker, while still failing to critically and consistently damp the cone at all signal levels and frequencies.

The only problem is that your electronics cannot control cone movement through Qe and low source impedance.

Cone acceleration (and thus audio output) outside the frequency range around resonance is proportional strictly and only to voice coil current and magnet field/suspension linearity.

So Qe is not in the picture, only Re. And Re can be taken out of the picture (together with Qe) by current drive.

Now, lets look at the fundamental resonance frequency region (which is quite narrow in range). Does Qe control cone movement directly and in a linear fashion? Nope, it is in fact heavily signal envelope dependent and modulated by excursion (where usually larger excursions decrease damping).

Contrast this with damping by a flow resistance integrated into the basket, it has neither appreciable stiction nor non-linearity with level and driving the speaker with current.

In one fell swoop we have eliminated:

1) Thermal Compression (which is hotly debated but real neverless)

2) Eddy Current (in the pole piece) induced distortion (which is odd order and cubic law and leads to often observed preponderance of H3 over H3 in the midrange for many drivers)

3) Low Frequency non-linearity, which is caused by suspensions and electrical systems that are highly non-linear.

If we combine this with a magnet system that has a constant field strength for the range of cone travel of interest we will have made a Speaker system that has a dramatically improved performance in almost all relevant domains.

Of course, this system would be incompatible with common amplifiers, however, unlike the situation three or more decades ago when amplifiers and speakers where separate, active speakers are becoming more common.

However this debate about how to optimise the Amplifier/Speaker system using unconventional, if superior means is already present in several threads on that topic here. including this more recent one:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/157787-secret-tube-amplifiers-revealed-much-more.html

So no need to drag it in here, where generally conventional systems are debated, or to then take my comments on Driver Parameters in threads discussing current drive out of context to make it seem as if there is a contradiction and to them complain when I address not your flawed logic, but deal with the individual contentions you have raised.

BTW, my noted to the hysteresis effects in low efficiency systems in this thread here referred mainly to the system behaviour outside resonance region and to the results of attempting to damp cone resonance with the rubber surround...

Ciao T

I will leave it up to the good readers of this thread to form their own opinions on this matter, after making a couple of final remarks from my side (following the bold numbering added to Thorsten's reaction):

Ad 1) A good read on this one is http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_cs_amps.pdf
For a special case of loudspeakers, that is speakers that are electrically overdamped, current drive may be beneficial. However, as Nelson Pass also mentions, most speakers are designed to be driven by voltage.

ad 2) One of the first sentences I learned in German was from my father: nicht ägern, nur wundern. I will apply that wisdom here, whilst hoping for your understanding that not all on this site are prepared to share to the same degree their autobiography as argument in a technical discussion

ad 3) Some pictures to look at:
Eckmiller - Google zoeken

Do I see dome tweeters %$#!!! The 'solution' to place dampening material around the basket has not caught on. I can see at least two potential problems with it. Firstly, it would increase basket reflections back to the cone considerably. One of the nice things about the newer generations of drivers are baskets optimized to prevent those reflections. Secondly, flow resistance as you call it is not a linear phenomena. It is an impendance that rises with frequency, just to mention one thing, another is that the medium causing the impedance will be set in motion by sound waves.

vac

Hi,

I would suggest that reading Hawksford/Miller on distortion reduction in dynamic speakers (see Malcolms pages) is a better choice, but it is less "popular science" and more "hard science" then Nelsons justly popular paper.

Mills, P., Hawksford, M., “Distortion reduction in moving-coil loudspeaker systems using current-drive technology,” J. Aud. Eng. Soc., 37(3), 129- 148

Past that Esa's book (from the thread I linked a few posts up - buy at amazon) restates much of what I found in 1980's and earlier german literature on the concept and gives a good overview (though I am rather disagreeable with Esa's contention that current drive is the whole or indeed any of "Tube Amplifier Secrets" a notion he seems to be wedded to.

For a special case of loudspeakers, that is speakers that are electrically overdamped, current drive may be beneficial. However, as Nelson Pass also mentions, most speakers are designed to be driven by voltage.

All electrodynamic speakers are driven by current, only current and nothing but current. The motional force is determined by BL, essentially usually shown dimensionless, but actually stating Tesla/Meter or more unambigous Newton per AMPERE, not VOLT.

So if a Speaker is designed to be driven by voltage it must have an absolutely linear impedance with signal levels, frequency, excursion etc. et al. or the very fact that it is designed "contra naturam" (that is against nature) will create massive levels of UNNECESSARY distortion.

ad 3) Some pictures to look at:
Eckmiller - Google zoeken

Do I see dome tweeters %$#!!!

You actually on the original Eckmiller see a 2" Dome loaded by phaseplug/compression chamber and the woofer cone acting as waveguide.

The Eckmiller is this:

Eckmiller O15 at AK-Audio

Some of the others that come out in your search (including the one with the 50mm Alu Dome) are later successors, with modifications that may or may not be improvements.

The one with the 50mm Dome HF was quite common in East German Studios, so I am quite familiar with it. In fact, I have even owned it in the late 80's. IIRC the two overlapped metal mesh's acted as phase-grid, avoiding the HF cancellation one would expect from such a large dome, or so I was told by old man Schulz himself.

For anyone interested in more on the subject of the original Eckmiller drivers here are some 60 Years + old articles on the real thing. You need to read german as these are picture scans from a german publication, the rest may stare in amazement and befuddlement at the pictures concluding these drivers to be total oddballs:

Eckmiller O15 (Radio Mentor Vol. 9/10 1943)

Eckmiller O15a dyn (Radio Mentor 07/1950)

Eckmiller O15 (Funkschau Vol. 1/2 1944)

Sadly the extensive purge of east german audio tech in Radio/TV Studio's as well as that of the associated publications following the "Anschluss" in 1990 leave me with nothing on the east german systems, except what is in my head.

The 'solution' to place dampening material around the basket has not caught on.

It "caught on" in the late 30's and has been in use continously in german studio monitors until past the early 90's (in the form of the Schulze TH315 Driver) and is now found in a modified form in the MEG Cardioid Monitor Speakers (they are cardioids at all frequencies), so with a practical and beneficial use of the principle for over seven decades I find the "not caught on" comment singularly ill informed.

For the rest, you can invent problems until the cows come home from whever they do when they are out and about, have fun, unlike you I actually KNOW these system in both theoretical AND practical sense - I'm outta here...

Ciao T

Hi,

Very difficult to impossible to market and sell speakers with paper cones, the programming is difficult to overcome and they would be percieved as being low tech ...

And I bet if I made speakers that used drivers made with very poor magnet systems (non-linear, high compression) but had bass and midrange cones made from say super stiff "Ceramikum", which ring like bells and which even "infinite slope crossovers fail to tame and added even stiffer "Diamondilium" Tweeters and used an Enclosure made from super hard "Corriolian", threw a texbook 2nd order crossover using Mundorf Capacitors and Chokes (cheapest series, not the good stuff) at it, which of course would not work properly and spend even more money on advertising and hence sold a pair of 100K US, I'd be selling a fair few...

What do you think?

Ciao T

@DVV,

Very difficult to impossible to market and sell speakers with paper cones, the programming is difficult to overcome and they would be percieved as being low tech ...

"Felted cellulose composite"

I have yet to find a mid-base made from something other than paper that I like. I even prefer my old paper Peerless subs over the new metal version. Easier to use well. Maybe exotics have a higher potential, but if I can't realize it I will stick with paper. Marketing has now moved to exotic paper: bamboo, reed, and so on.

@DVV,

I have no doubt you are quite right.

This world has ceased being about the essence of the matter at least 15 years ago.

Ever since then, it has been far more important how something APPEARS to be, not how something IS. We are becoming more and more superficial as a race day in, day out.

And everybody and their dog have some hard hitting "science" to prove just their point. Theories are a dime a dozen. So are PhDs. Most of whom have probably paid their $400 to an Internet university for the PhD.

Hi,

It "caught on" in the late 30's and has been in use continously in german studio monitors until past the early 90's (in the form of the Schulze TH315 Driver) and is now found in a modified form in the MEG Cardioid Monitor Speakers (they are cardioids at all frequencies), so with a practical and beneficial use of the principle for over seven decades I find the "not caught on" comment singularly ill informed.

For the rest, you can invent problems until the cows come home from whever they do when they are out and about, have fun, unlike you I actually KNOW these system in both theoretical AND practical sense - I'm outta here...

Ciao T

Thorsten, I am not under the impression that you know who I am and what theoretical AND practical knowledge I hold. Let's keep it that way and stick to arguments.

vac

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Didn't he write his thesis in a psych ward ? :clown:
(best experience to enter the audio business)

Ummm....well only to the extent he was working with psychiatric cases, although few diagnosed as such. The degree was in Social Psychology, but required an essay and a lot of life experience. And then there was a check :D

But although there were times I couldn't have imagined saying this, I miss Sid. "Don't it always seem to go That you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone..." (Joni Mitchell, Big Yellow Taxi)

Status
Not open for further replies.