Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2245H was a great transducer ....

There have been proponents of thermal compression issues at Harman for years, in addition to Gander et al. in JBL Pro. But I suspect many of their concerns have been anecdotal.

Greg Timbers likes horns for all but bass, and I heard his home system with the mid-high powered by Quicksilver tube amps.

Any pics ..?

Sure played loud! I should have brought some material I was familiar with, as virtually everything he had was female vocals. I finally dug out Bela Fleck's Flight of the Cosmic Hippo, and the title track was indeed most impressive --- no difficulty with bass extension. I think I found one sort-of-pops-classical recording. Different strokes.

Bela who .... ????

Last edited:
Greg Timbers likes horns for all but bass, and I heard his home system with the mid-high powered by Quicksilver tube amps. .

I guess not his one , no quicksilvers ...

Attachments

• Greg timbers.jpg
    Greg timbers.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 133
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Greg's system when I heard it years ago was a pair of some vintage of his speakers designed primarily for the Japanese market, I believe called the K2. Around the corner was a big old Levinson amp for the woofers; the Quicksilvers were at the other end of the room.

The odd reason to be there: Sean Olive had put a rep for one of the errrr... controversial line conditioners in touch with me, who earnestly wanted to have measurements validate the operation of the device. I arranged an audition of the effects at Greg's, which was also the first time I'd heard his system.

I couldn't hear any effects. And this was even when I hoped I would (I'm always interested in things I can perceive and study). Greg thought he could, and Bruce Weisberg was sure he could.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Best banjo player ever, for my money. Heard him live a while back at Royce Hall with Edgar Meyer and Zakir Hussian. Wonderful. They were doing so many things in weird time signatures that when they did something late in the concert as an encore in 4, it sounded very strange!

And don't even get me started with Meyer. For sheer insanity get his Bach 'cello suites recording, which he plays on contrabass.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
I saw the Everest story, then this was one of the videos that came up afterward:
Plasma speaker: making musical sparks - YouTube

Which reminds me: OT, whatever happened to Sparks? I requested Angst in my Pants last night from an online DJ and there was no comment. I was prompted to do this owing to an ant invasion in my kitchen. I would have settled for Kimono My House as well.

Phooey! Before the ******* contest about speaker compression I said,

Quote:
The problem is Frank, your "reasonably well designed" contains presuppositon for "designed for any amp".

You're right. of course. Any utterance has to have presuppositions.

Mine are pretty simple. I think a good speaker system, no matter how high the SPL, won't sound objectionably "loud" even if run by consumer gear like Pioneer or Denon. That's not exactly "scientific" or formal, but it's definitely empirical:D

I think dinky poo speakers like TVR's with dome tweeters aren't going to make most amplifiers shine at reasonable listening levels. They can't - the dome tweeter craps out. (I suspect the woofer does also). So how is he ever going to know what sound problems to attribute to the amp or to the speaker?
Probably both the woofer and tweeter will deliver break up modes (and maybe have thermal compression problems as well). Too small. Got dome. Inefficient. 90dB 1 W 1m? Ha! :2c::2c:

No, I don't use dome tweeters, but all of them look like dome tweeters. I don't know yet what's next, but I expect to drive them (16 capsules in each, 2K Ohm impedance) by OTL tube amps, 5W / channel. If such combination will be optimal for intended application, I would say that it was good experiment, with positive result. It is impossible, according to my humble opinion, to say how good are amps and speakers without defining conditions of their usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.