Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

High Powered HiFi Tube Amp's where always somewhat rare, but all the big names in tubes have such massive behemoth that are well > 100W (ch), from Audio Research to VTL and Ypsilon... You may need to read more audio comics, they tend to celebrate these monstrosities.

I tend to view the need for such big amp's (tube or transistors) simply as a failure of designing decent speakers, but that's just me...

5" Woofer and Softdome Tweeter... What's that supposed to be? A toy for my daughter? The dimensions seem right.:p

Ciao T

I guess I have always had indecent speakers .......:p Never had flea power... What ? ... 12 watts , a toy for my daughters ...

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
We rarely had indecent speakers at the astronomy colloquia, although the always-entertaining astrophysicist Virginia Trimble came close at times (I remember one talk where she indicated a portion of a plot and said "and in this region the equation of state goes soft").

We did have one frequent attendee from the math dept. though, name of Alda, who sported mesh dresses and didn't wear undergarments. She sat in the front row, and often the speakers got a bit distracted.

There were only 2 steps from Walkman to iPhone. When Sony made Walkman they could not sell them, no demand existed, until some marketing genius took over and drew bright pictures of their usage.

People need to see, hear, feel the usage, and "My neighbor has one and uses it such and such way getting such and such emotions" is most convincing. Associations with something they already like is a good addition.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
There were only 2 steps from Walkman to iPhone. When Sony made Walkman they could not sell them, no demand existed, until some marketing genius took over and drew bright pictures of their usage.

People need to see, hear, feel the usage, and "My neighbor has one and uses it such and such way getting such and such emotions" is most convincing. Associations with something they already like is a good addition.

I don't know the details, but can you imagine the crying, tantrums, threats, and other manipulations that Steve Jobs manifested when he found that it was just not practical to dispense with the wires to the iPod earbuds?

So it took some "marketing genius" as one says to figure out how to feature the wires, and the images of dancing fools with their beloved pods. Which reminds me of one of my favorite Dilberts, in which Dilbert proposes marketing a cable that attaches to nothing, with ads of young people dancing with them. And then adds that thereafter they will all go straight to hell.

Odd though --- I have yet to see anyone dancing with their iPods, although I've conjectured that my upstairs neighbors might be.

I don't know the details, but can you imagine the crying, tantrums, threats, and other manipulations that Steve Jobs manifested when he found that it was just not practical to dispense with the wires to the iPod earbuds?

So it took some "marketing genius" as one says to figure out how to feature the wires, and the images of dancing fools with their beloved pods. Which reminds me of one of my favorite Dilberts, in which Dilbert proposes marketing a cable that attaches to nothing, with ads of young people dancing with them. And then adds that thereafter they will all go straight to hell.

Odd though --- I have yet to see anyone dancing with their iPods, although I've conjectured that my upstairs neighbors might be.

When I consulted Apple a lady was taking pictures for badges. She took my picture that my wife likes the most of all my pictures. And on her wall I saw a picture of a lady running with iPod carrying a huge hammer. I was joking then and said that she is running to smash iPod with her hammer, but she did not share my humor, as if I insulted her own child.
I believe it was that lady - photographer who created all that visual effects for them, but I may be wrong.

>There can be no demand for a product not yet produced.

>>>I disagree, the very fact that we went to the moon was because there was a demand.

The space program was part of Cold War effort and was proposed to American people on that basis. Kennedy took a risk when he proposed putting a man on the moon. He did not know before he proposed it how popular it might be. The risk was his popularity. The people did not know they would agree, or buy into, the proposition until he made it. The price was irrelevant because it was a war effort and it was tax money and therefore OPM - other people's money.

>>>Supply vs demand dictates the price, which is why the space program cost millions and millions of dollars when it started out.

It cost a lot because it didn't exist and had to be created. It was a bespoke creation. Such things are very expensive and only governments and the rich can buy them at first. Then folk figure out how to make cheaper similar products so more folk can buy them.

Perhaps I didn't express myself very well or went a step too far.

The basic idea is: supply creates its own demand.

It doesn't follow from that that some products supplied can be sold. Well, they can be sold for scrap, not as the original product, so the proposition holds up.

Desire is 'I want'.
Demand is 'sell me' or 'let's exchange' or sometimes just 'give me'.
Desire is an emotion and is private and its objective is private. Demand is an action and is public and its objective is public. It can be measured. The measurement is called 'sales'.

>>>I would argue that there are lots of people who want to go to the moon in 2012.
The only thing stopping them is money.

Sure lots of folk want to go to the moon but until service is supplied, you don't know what the demand will be. You can do market surveys and project, but you don't know until you supply and they buy. Then you know there is demand. That's why there is risk.

What you are saying is that cost of commercial space travel/transportation is coming down. I don't disagree. If it comes down far enough I'm sure folk (not governments) will offer FIT travel to the moon. And they'll be taking a risk in terms of P and L statement.

OK I'll stop with this. I obviously have a bee in my bonnet.

I disagree, the very fact that we went to the moon was because there was a demand.

Supply vs demand dictates the price, which is why the space program cost millions and millions of dollars when it started out.

I would argue that there are lots of people who want to go to the moon in 2012.
The only thing stopping them is money.

Space vehicles have come way down in price compared to Apollo missions. There are lots of smaller private companies or countries that launch satellites on a monthly basis.

People have wanted the iPhone ever since Captain Kirk flipped open the first communicator.

Those that believe supply must precede demand have never heard that necessity is the mother of invention.

I heard that, but I do not believe that the necessity is the only mother of invention. Also curiosity, imagination, and availability of resources. Like, dreaming of something that will bring together already available technologies, adding a little bit, to get a new quality that was not available before. Like, to add solid state assistance to old good vacuum tubes in order to get unheard sound clarity for fraction of cost that would be needed for such quality half a century ago.

@FrankWW

Frank, I respect good, solid work, but I also respect vision.

Abraxalito has a vision, and I assume he has done, or will have done the solid work.

I know far too little about his type of work to make any meaningful comments.

So, I am doing all I currently can - wishing him the best of luck. Sincerely. I've been down that road three times in my life, twice for me and once for a friend, so I more or less know what's in store for him. I don't know of one single example of anyone making it on his own brainwork who didn't spit blood before he made it.

Ken Olson, who almost single handedly invented Vax machines and DEC, had to give away 95% of DEC to his backers, the venture capitalists, but his 5% is worth over $5 billion today. I was told this in his school, Babson College near Boston, while attending a seminar for enterpreneurs in March 1991.

Once one accepts such facts of life, one is free to get on with tghe business at hand.

The space program was part of Cold War effort and was proposed to American people on that basis. Kennedy took a risk when he proposed putting a man on the moon. He did not know before he proposed it how popular it might be. The risk was his popularity. The people did not know they would agree, or buy into, the proposition until he made it. The price was irrelevant because it was a war effort and it was tax money and therefore OPM - other people's money.

Exactly. You probably know also that Yuriy Gagarin was actually Major. Instead of testing new jet-fighter he tested new equipment that went way above. No big deal, it was an order from his commander, and he did what he sworn to do when accepted military carrier.

When paranoia rules there is no space for price considerations. Like, Internet was created as a self-healing network supported by community that saved huge money for military who wanted to have such self-healing network in case of a global nuclear conflict.

Then he didn't really give it away, did he?

He did, in the sense that he understood right from the start that there was no other way to secure millions of dollars needed to kickstart his would-be business. He was very rational in that he understood that 5% of something was a hell of alot more than 100% of nothing.

It's downright incredible how many people do NOT understand that.

Few people remember these days that FM multiplex technology was actually developed by NASA who needed something better than AM.

Even fewer men, and yet less women, know that their teflon frying pan is an offshoot of Du Pont's research into materials which could withstand temperatures of almost 18,000 degrees centigrade each and every NASA capsule has to take upon its arrival back in the atmosphere.

Chromium dioxide tape, the first so-called "High Efficiency" tape, was also invented by Du Pont for NASA, who was unhappy with the longevity of FeO3 tapes of the day. It sat in their file system for 6 years, until H/K "discovered" it and launched the world's first cassette deck using chromium tape in 1967 (or was that in 1968?).

And the list goes on and on. Let's face it, space and military research cost more than anyone alse could afford, but they did come up with quite a few very useful items we all take for granted nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.