sound deadening a bedroom?? need ideas.. lol

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am no expert on acoustics or speaker placement, but a speaker
squeezed in between a wardrobe and a wall seem asking for
trouble to me.

BTW, where do you sit listening?? There seems to be no
suitable listening position to sit down. Not that I often have
the time to just sit down when listeng to music, but when I
ocassionaly do, I certainly want a suitably placed sofa or
armchair. I do realize the problems in a small overcrowded room
though.

Da5id4Vz said:
Are your speakers in phase?

I believe they are in phase, but I am going to reverse one of them as I seem to get more bass with just one speaker on as it is, so maybe the different sound paths to my current listening position are resulting in cancelation...

Christer said:
I am no expert on acoustics or speaker placement, but a speaker
squeezed in between a wardrobe and a wall seem asking for
trouble to me.

BTW, where do you sit listening?? There seems to be no
suitable listening position to sit down. Not that I often have
the time to just sit down when listeng to music, but when I
ocassionaly do, I certainly want a suitably placed sofa or
armchair. I do realize the problems in a small overcrowded room
though.

its not really squeezed in, the picture isn't the best... I am able to angle the speaker a fair bit...

my current listening position is where I am sitting now. :) my desk.... with the chair.. lol its where I normally sit and "listen" lol.. but where the speakers were before, the music would FILL the room, now there seems to be hot spots.. :(

EDIT: the speaker near the window is too close to me.... the bass doesn't hit low at all..... the other speaker has bass you can FEEL!!! the one near the window sounds like someone hitting a cardboard box.. :p EDIT: ITS TRUE TOO!!!

EDIT EDIT: as it is, I'd much rather just have the one speaker on.. :p

EDIT EDIT EDIT: I forgot I have one speaker raised from the floor... lol the better sounding one... I'll try lifting the other too.. lol

Da5id4Vz said:
Sounds like the CRT mask is loose and being shaken by the bass. The guns can also become microphonic.

(I was only kindding about the phase)
(yup, it would cause LF cancelation, but didnt think youd get it wrong)

ok... well.. its an old monitor... lol and it cost nothing... so.. :p lol its all good...

I put the speakers back in phase, honestly, I don't think it made that much difference... must be because of the small room.. lol

Its not at all uncomon, same thing will happen if you smack it (lightly) on the side.

I once had a director tell me his video monitor was broken (borken?) because it distorted whenever he beat it on the side. I told him that someone ought to be beating him in the side of the head. (his demonstration was rather violent)

Did you try swapping amp channels to the speakers to make sure the problem isnt upstream?

Da5id4Vz said:
Its not at all uncomon, same thing will happen if you smack it (lightly) on the side.

I once had a director tell me his video monitor was borken because it distorted whenever he beat it on the side. I told him that someone ought to be beating him in the side of the head. (his demonstration was rather violent)

can I do anything about it? lol cos this monitor gets carted around in the car, and that can't be good for it.... :rolleyes:

SkinnyBoy said:
I put the speakers back in phase, honestly, I don't think it made that much difference... must be because of the small room.. lol
From what I saw on that sketch you made, your speaker stageing is a disaster.. :bawling: I never saw anybody having worst setup ever in my entire life.. And if you didn't hear difference in sound when you switched phase of your speaker, than or your whole system is nothing at all, or there is something seriously wrong with your hearing...
I swear I really don't mean to be mean or unfriendly to you, but joining this forum I was expecting from you to know much more about basics of sound... :xeye:

I don't think it's a question of knowledge at all, and let's be realistic, he's in the right place to ask for help ! Cmon he got no room to set an high end listning spot...

EDIT : Or I've miss it or it was not mentionned, where's your listing position ?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Here you go Skinny.

Attachments

• room.gif
    room.gif
    20.3 KB · Views: 113
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.