Sony TA-F6B PSU repair

Lol, almost a year :)

If the PSU is making a high pitched noise then it may be locked and running at a harmonic or just running at the wrong frequency. Very difficult to suggest much really... I think the first thing would be to look at the secondary outputs on a scope and try and gauge what is happening by looking at the frequency and what the overall waveshape looks like.

Thanks for the reply but regrettably I have to say I have no scope...

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
For the whole amplifier you mean ? Yes absolutely. A conventional linear type (tranny + bridge + caps) would give much cleaner rails and 100% reliability. The only problem is size/weight. You would need (at a guess) a 250va rated or higher transformer and typically 6800uf or higher reservoir caps to make a decent supply that would cover any normal domestic use the amp may receive.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The older ones can be much quieter mechanically. Toroidal (round ones) can buzz a little (not all of them, and it depends a lot on how pure the mains is)

Your probably looking at around 120mm diameter and around 55mm deep for a toroidal. Would that fit in the space where the can lives.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
OK, well next you would need to look at what is available in your area and remember you also need to be able to fit two reservoir caps (at least 6800uf/63 volt) and a bridge rectifier.

It is all the mechanical details of fitting it all in that is the challenge... only you know what will be do-able or not with regard to that.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
No no no :) The metal box isn't a transformer in that sense, its a high frequency switching supply full of electronics. The transformer in the box is tiny and light because it operates at around 25kHz rather than 50/60hz. The caps you mention are all far to small with regard to 50/60Hz ripple current rating that a conventional supply needs.