Sonus Faber Cremona HYBRID Clone

Somebody is plannig to build something like this, so I have modified the drawingss to definitely match the Ekta Grande volumes:

Total volume (inside): 65,81 l
Bass section: 60,46 l
Mid/Tweeter camera: 5,35 l

If anybody else wants to build this design... PM me.

Does anybody can help me with the crossover?
The one from Troel's will fit my design (I have for bass 46l instead of 60l)

Thank you

So the first thing to do (definitely consider myself a novice at this) would be to adjust the vent size to tune the enclosure it back to the original frequency intended by Troel's design (33Hz). Then Id work with the cross-over’s as specified and take measurements and adjust as required.

So for port length calculation see this site for the calculation:
vent tuning

EKTA Grande is specified as tuned to 33Hz to get a 100 mm vent tuned in a 60L enclosure means the port length is 285mm long Troel's specified 200mm so he’s allowing a further factor of 0.7 for damping.

Assuming the same values for a volume of 46 Litres we get a port length of 397 397*0.7=278mm – if that’s a little long we can shorten the vent by reducing the diameter, an 80mm vent gives a length of 170mm

I’ll try to find time over the weekend to plug the TS params for the SS drivers into the ported.xls tool found here: The Subwoofer DIY Page - Ported Systems: Box Calculations and refine the above.

No doubt experienced builders will have lots more to say on the subject of lowering the enclosure volume, I do know that additional damping makes the box appear ‘bigger’ to the driver, but there must come a point where damping density is having the opposite effect.

BassBox 6 calculated a Fb of 32Hz for my volumes and in a typical damping configuration, the port should be Ø80 and length 254mm or Ø70 and length 186mm.

If I use your paramters (Ø80mm/170mm) Bassbox gives me a tune of 35,32Hz

I think I will go in the way of two Ø50/200mm ports located in the front pannel, to avoid problems with reflections and the need to separate from the back wall.

Those ports are adjustable from 150 to 280mm so I could test almost any length

Hi. Yes I have listened to the Cremonas (one of the most beautiful looking speakers..to me). I compared the B&W 803D's with the Cremonas. Both about $10,000 US dollars. As much as I love Sonus Faber I didn't like the highs nearly as much as the B&W. This is just a preference and at 54 years old my hearing may require a bit more on the high end to get into my brain. The Cremonas are excellent though. Your drivers in your cabinets will likely sound different than the Cremonas anyway. I have a suggestion which may be expensive but you can add it at a later date: Use an active crossover like the miniDSP 4x10 (miniDSP.com) with their plug-in software. Also get the REW software (free) and a microphone. You will be able to tailor the sound to your liking. I am in the process of designing a 3-way system and will not be using passive crossovers. I don't want to get stuck with whatever sound comes out when I am done. You can also swap out drivers later if you want and you won't have to re-engineer crossovers, just make adjustments in the software. I am new to this and don't know first hand but from what I have read about active crossovers they provide several benefits. Most importantly ease of adjustment. Please keep posting, your project looks great!

Thank you for your suggestion.
In fact, I'm in doubt to design the crossover or use a miniDSP or behringer dcx2496.
The worst of this is lots of plugs and cables... And the space it takes in my tv furniture.

I think it will be a further decision I have to take in one or two weeks

Hi Raelman,

Beautifull Box... impressive job ! Saw than some kits at lautspresher shop in Germany was maid like that !

I'm asking to myself:

- if some of the genuine Cremona drivers are stock OEM or tailor made for Sonus Faber with specifics setup asked by the designer ? (= is it possible to clone the sound... not the look)

- About the vertical titling of the cremonaed G60 Audio Monitor: does it change the time alignement in relation to the original Audio Monitor ? (how to know the % of change on the sound between the new box and the "easthetical" vertical titling shown in your picture?)

- cremona is not maid with Mdf, point of resonance might be different, but maybe Sonus Faber maid more for the easthetical look than for resonance issue ?

I'm agree with some here : no sense to customise your GTI into a false ferrari chassis. Stay with the good enough GTI to have fun and save money for the beautifull project of the clone of Cremona with active to copy the more you can the genuine one. I'm sure the setup phase is very long and you will be happy to have your Cremona to listen music before and have a reference to do better...

Just my humble opinion and two cents

well, Eldam, you are rigth with the Ferrari ideas... in fact, I have sold the M.A. and now going for the Cremonas.
In teh former Idea, the front pannel was exactly the same than MA had.

I Think I can almost copy the cremonas look, but the sound its a different thing that I can't copy because I have never listened them.

I think I have a good drivers sellection and they will give me good sound.
Better or worst than the Cremonas? who knows, will see.

As I said before, I have no idea for Xover design.

The front pannel in my cremonas will be the same than the Ekta Grande ones, so I thought that maybe I could copy the Ekta grande mid/tw Xover and re-design the woofers one with the design of a friend in Spain who built same size cremonas than mine with same woofers but different Tweeters and mids.

I'm thinking cutting at 350Hz and 2800Hz
Do you think this will be ok for my drivers?:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

For the cremonas I searched the web for stuff and could find just a few things and ideas.
Finally I did my own design based on web designs.

I have been visiting Troels site for a long time, but he designs very difficult Xovers and he says that they only work good on his designs :(

Hi,

sonus-faber-enceinte-cremona-m.php

you can find at the bottom 2 pdf links, the one from Hifinews reviews is interresting.

XO seems to be 400 hz and 2200 hz (Scanspeak Revelator but wich one ?)

Bass and mid are fromm Sonus Faber. Woofer are in aluminium + magnesium, maybe a special command to Seas ?

You have zero risk with a c-quenze mid or/and a config from Troels's web site.... Check maybe if the XT25 keeps all its soundind qualities so low (< 3000 hz?) ?

At zaph audio web site you find some very goods reviews about drivers and how to use it. But maybe you already know this site.

Just my two cents... and your box is defintly impressive.

Last edited:
Thank you Eldam, it's been useful.
I knew abouth zaphaudio, thank you again.

well I think I will go for the Troel's Xover and I will take measurements to size the tunning port.

2x18W8531G00_12M4631G00_R2604-832000_website.png

The front pannel is EXACTLY the same than Troel's one. I took care to match him.
I know the inside volume will change the crossover points, but I gyuess I could solve it with a new Bass port tuning and, why not, I think that if a minimal diference changes everything, nobody has the same room, so nobody will have the same speakers...