Sonic Impact Gen 2 T-Amp ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Might want to mod this amp!

I guess if anyone figures out the topology of this Gen 2 amp and does the actual mods, I might take a stab at putting this into a nicer box with the mods. I've got a pair of PSB Alpha B1's that I would like to throw on this lil amp!

Has the "great" Pano given up on this one... will he ever publish again on the "Gen 2" subject?

Gen 2 Sonic

Recd 1 of these amps today & it has the same Vol pot problem other people have reported with the 5066's.
No left channel untill full volume..
Yes it is stamped " QC passed ". Back it goes as I at least want to start the mod's with a fully working one.
Havent opened it for obvious reasons but DC offset at speaker terminals is 88 & 90 Mv.

Sounds reasonable with some Hummmmmmm @ full power & I think has some potential.

Have asked the agent if he can supply a Circuit Diagram.
Never know your luck..

I've ordered the Gen 2 through Buy.com... with $10.00 discount for using the Google checkout and free shipping, the price was $41.00. US

I want to mod this with a PEC pot, better/larger caps, New RCA jacks, binding posts and 2 inputs (switched). These will all be in a new box.

Or, should I maybe go to 2 pots for better volume matching for each channel?

I'd love to hear about any mods that are in the works!

erpiii said:
I've ordered the Gen 2 through Buy.com... with $10.00 discount for using the Google checkout and free shipping, the price was $41.00. US

I want to mod this with a PEC pot, better/larger caps, New RCA jacks, binding posts and 2 inputs (switched). These will all be in a new box.

Or, should I maybe go to 2 pots for better volume matching for each channel?

I'd love to hear about any mods that are in the works!

would be interested in how to get 2 inputs, am a newbie.

gychang

Re: Might want to mod this amp!

erpiii said:
I guess if anyone figures out the topology of this Gen 2 amp and does the actual mods, I might take a stab at putting this into a nicer box with the mods. I've got a pair of PSB Alpha B1's that I would like to throw on this lil amp!

Has the "great" Pano given up on this one... will he ever publish again on the "Gen 2" subject?

I too have the PSB Alpha B's and they're a really great match for the T-amps. I ordered one of those Sublines from AUDIO-MAGUS so I could connect the PSB Sub Zero i subwoofer, and apart from a grounding issue, the Gen 2 sounds phenomenal.

Thing about a really good system is it really shows which recordings are "good" and which aren't!

c

Originally posted by gychang
would be interested in how to get 2 inputs, am a newbie.

I don't know about two input switching (maybe with relays?) but three or more is easily done with a Four Pole Rotary Switch. They generally have four contacts in the center that each switch between a number of contacts on the perimeter. Wire the four center contacts with the four inputs on your amp L, LG, RG, R. Then you wire each set of RCA's to the appropriate contact around the edge. You'll have a quadrant for each channel's Pos. and Ground. Trying to keep them straight is the tricky part. Go slow and wire one set of RCA's at a time.

For the really cheap you could try this
http://www.futurlec.com/Switches/ROTP4P3.shtml. Data Sheet. You can see the layout.

http://www.futurlec.com/SwRotary.shtml Price list. $1.00 and no Minimum!

A little more gets you one of these. Probably a little better built and may not intrude on the signal as much.
Sorry, no data sheet but you get the idea now.

If you want to get really crazy you can get a DACT or other high dollar switch. I haven't heard them so I don't know if they are worth it. Mouser and Digikey have some also but navigating their websites makes my head hurt.

Do some searching around here and some other places around the interwebs. You'll find out everything you need to get in trouble.:clown:

Got mine...

Doesn't sound too bad... in fact, great for the price! The Alpha B1's sound pretty good.

I don't know anything about circuits... or, for that matter, about resistors or caps. I Wonder if the same mods apply on this "24C" model as the older amp. Anyone done the R 1-2 C 3-4 mod on this yet?

I would be nice if someone could figure out all the ribbon connections on the board. I see it has nine wires to the headphone; the outputs stop when the headphone jack is inserted... so I can see why nine wires. I think I would pass on the headphone jack in the final configuration. I can figure out the power in for a new switch. Not sure how the volume is wired... six posts... just like a Pec volume control.

Anyone know the difference between the plain tri-24 and the tri-24C?

Also, what do the caps across the outputs do? Can they be removed/changed?

Any help would be appreciated!

The input stage seems just like before. But it also seems like input stage is connected to the headphone connection to the left on the picture.

One should pull out both connection to verify the right pin to connect new input-stage.

Hopefully others can comment where new input-stage should be connected - to the headphone output og to the pot :confused:

Humm... interesting.

Nospam, I notice that your tri chip is not a 2024C? I have a gen 2 too and it's got a "C" at the end. How long ago did you buy yours?

Also, has anyone taken the caps and resistors out of the Gen 2 yet? I noticed that fastvideo said he had done the mods... but he also says that he gets a pop if he leaves the 4.7 cap in place??? Not sure what he means???

I also want to replace the input traces with shielded lines to the pot. Anyone though of doing that?

Lemme know!

Okay... this answers a few of my questions.

As can bee seen from the photo below, the Gen 2 I received has a "C" suffix and is REV 4. I guess they made the gen 2 with different chips and revisions in the gen 2 case.

I wonder if there are many differences in the two versions... 3 and 4. Looks like the circuit board has been changed... components look like they're located in the same trace streams... but then again, what do I know!

Attachments

• mygen2.jpg
    mygen2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 757
erpiii said:
As can bee seen from the photo below, the Gen 2 I received has a "C" suffix and is REV 4. I guess they made the gen 2 with different chips and revisions in the gen 2 case.

Mine is Revision 4 with the plain TA 2024. 3 Weeks old.

Have so far added a new low esr 4700uf, "tank" cap & awaiting arrival of a 50K Alps pot before doing the input caps, RCA's Binding posts etc. New cap has improved bass & general dynamics slightly.

Has anyone sat down & worked out the Vol pot board & headphone board wiring yet ?

Im a new member

Im interested in geting a speaker system for my parents. My friends a audiophile and recommanded me these speakers for a good set of speakers that are cheap

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I dont want anything big in the tv stand so a recievers out of the question. He recommanded me the sonic impact gen 2 t amp. Would the amp be enough to push those speakers? My parents cant really hear the audio all that well... plus the audios just average.

Any helps greatly appreciated

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.