Sonic Impact Gen 2 T-Amp ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got it, and its up and singing.

Build quality is much better. Form factor really makes it take up alot less space. I love the popout volume control used for on/off, but using the knob for volume control is not at easy as I would like (its too small and smooth).

The 2nd Gen is not a bass lightweight like the 1st Gen. In fact it has noticeably more power through the lower registers than my JVC Hybrid Feedback amp I have been using, which was significantly more powerful than the 1st Gen I had been using before it burnt out. It also seems somewhat more powerful, even though JVC rated their amp at 30wpc into 4ohm. Using Live Free or Die Hard DVD as a reference, the JVC, at maximum volume, provided what I would call reference level in my small space, theater level sound, distortion free, through explosions and whatnot. Using the 2nd Gen under the same conditions was louder, basically too loud to handle for any real period of time, even though it proved to be noticeably more clear and legible (more easily making out dialog against noise, including on example where I had not ever been able to make out a certain phrase at all using the JVC on speakers or my Grado SR-80 headphones).

Since I haven't heard a 1st Gen in a very long time, I'm going to assume that my recollection of exactly how it sounded is worthless. Besides, I'm not using the same speakers as back then. In fact, I'm not using my speakers at all at the moment . . . they're "in the shop". I'm listening over a pair of Pioneer A11 BiBs, and I can only compare directly between the 2nd Gen and the JVC. There was an immediate and surprising improvement between the JVC and the 2nd Gen. Not only was the bass of similar liveliness and weight and somewhat tighter detail, but there were greater improvements upward in frequency. Clarity, detail, soundstage . . . everything is better. So, my guess, just thinking technically, the 2nd Gen is likely a slight upgrade, enough to overcome the 100Hz rolloff of the 1st Gen, with likely similar, slight improvements all around. I'm also guessing that alot of improvement gained in my circumstance comes from the included power supply. Its quite a bit beefier than the one I had for my old 1st Gen, and a much better match.

Anyway, I've only had a couple hours with it, but there's already little chance I'll be going back to the JVC, at least here in my office rig (the important one, if you know what I mean).

Kensai

Kensai said:
I've got it, and its up and singing.

Build quality is much better.
The 2nd Gen is not a bass lightweight like the 1st Gen.

Anyway, I've only had a couple hours with it, but there's already little chance I'll be going back to the JVC, at least here in my office rig (the important one, if you know what I mean).

Kensai

Very helpful since as u know I have the same JVC.

1. which has more power, JVC? I would assume.

2. after burn in, would be interested in final subjective rating, which is better overall?

gychang

By spec, the JVC has more power, but judging by the max SPL generated by each, the 2nd Gen is the clear winner.

I doubt that burn in will make the 2nd Gen worse . . . its already the clear winner over my JVC.

Let me make one note here . . . I know that there's basically 3 generations of the JVC Hybrid Feedback amps (the new one they call 3.5, whatever that means). I know mine is a generation 1 model and I'm pretty sure yours is a generation 2, but I don't know what the differences are.

gychang, you've also got an Amp32, right? When I check the specs on that at the 41Hz site, it looks significantly more powerful, but that might not even equate to a full 3dB greater SPL, though I'm guessing it'll depend alot on what sort of power supply you have for it.

Kensai

confused...

Kensai wrote:
The 2nd Gen is not a bass lightweight like the 1st Gen.
And Kensai wrote:
Since I haven't heard a 1st Gen in a very long time, I'm going to assume that my recollection of exactly how it sounded is worthless.

Sorry, but I'm confused - first you wrote that it is _not_ a bass lightweight like the 1st Gen. Then you wrote you haven't heard the 1st Gen in a while... Is your comparison strictly from memory?

I'd love to pick up a 2nd Gen SI, and if what you say is true - that it's got more bass than the 1st Gen SI, that will seal it.

thanks for the clarification,
c

Meaning, of course, my recollection of exact detail. We all know that you can't actually compare amps unless you can A/B them in rapid succession. However, we all know that the 1st Gen had a rolloff starting at 100Hz. This was very well documented I can easily attest that the 2nd Gen does not have that. Running manual test tone sweeps, I'm not getting and drops in level until the known limits of the speakers I'm working with, and below that, I'm still getting strong response to the application of EQ (e.g. managed to get an audible 20Hz tone out of a set of small BiBs that are really only good down to about 45Hz naturally).

Kensai

got it

Kensai said:
Meaning, of course, my recollection of exact detail.
Kensai

Thanks for the reply. I've got both right here (used an Amazon gift cert from Xmas to Parts Express), with the same PSB Alpha B's and an old Rotel CD player (nothing special).

I have to agree, the soundstage is definitely "fuller" - there's a very noticeable richness to the lower frequencies, and without a doubt, and improvement over the original T-Amp - which I'll promptly be listing on eBay!

c

Kensai said:
I've got one, Zilla. It actually has stronger bass output than my JVC Hybrid Feedback amp which was an order of magnitude better on the bottom end than my old, burnt, Gen1 T-amp. Its an upgrade from your Gen1, IMO.

Kensai

As I mentioned on the link provided, Tripath upgraded their TA 2024 and reworked the IC. The latest edition is now the TA 2024C, and may well be the reason for the improvement and increase in cost. New chips always cost more when new than when they have the market flooded.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.