Something better than the LM4562?

OPA1656 24v/uSec slew rate; LME49720 (same as LM4562) 20v/uSec slew rate: 1656 is a LITTLE bit faster. But the only REAL advantage of an FET 1656 over the bipolar 4562 is much less CURRENT noise---so any application with a source impedance of ≥3KΩ will have lower noise with the 1656.
But what is STILL surprising to me is that an LM4562 is still WAY cheaper than am LME49720 (about HALF the $$$) even though they are reported to be the same exact chip!
But I've just explained that's not the case if your bandwidth is narrow enough. Perhaps you'd like to do the sub 1kHz or 2kHz calculations and see if it really does come out better? I doubt it does, though, as I said, I haven't done the calculations definitively and just suspect it's not going to cut it. This flicker noise is starting nearly two decades above where it normally begins.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think the 1656 1/f noise is too high and the knee is also way too high at 2 kHz for comfort. That I believe is related to its use of mosfet input and amplifying devices on the chip. The OPA1641/2 uses JFET inputs so you get much lower 1/f, good thermal noise voltage specs with negligible noise current. I’ve gone over to the 1641/2 as my go to general purpose opamp for audio work. It really is a superb opamp in its updated guise. The LM4562 and derivatives seem to have been plagued with noise issues - lot of complaints about it. I’ve ever only used them in line level applications or where I was not relying too much on their noise performance. That said, I have never had a noise problem with them. They make awesome low current (5-10 mA) regulators because their PSRR is superb even at 100 kHz.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I was extremely pleased with the audio performance of a composite amplifier, made of an LT1122 and an LM7171. It's here on the Forums, pcb named Milpitas (link). Like other composite amplifiers, Milpitas has a single feedback loop enclosing both chips, so any distortion or noise introduced by the video speed output opamp, is error-corrected away by the low distortion front end chip.

datasheet_blurbs-png.1202268

Reactions: 1 user
Milpitas has a single feedback loop enclosing both chips, so any distortion or noise introduced by the video speed output opamp, is error-corrected away by the low distortion front end chip
Aha! I first saw this about 10 hours ago and it's taken until now for me to twig what you're suggesting. LOL. Sorry to be so dim. I even spent a part of those hours thinking "What's he bringing up one of his old projects for?". :ROFLMAO: :unsure: :ROFLMAO: This is an extremely good idea - Don't get rid of the op amp you like, just make it better. I have to say it's a bit bloody expensive but I like the Fet inputs and the LT being good with 40V on the rails. (I wonder how much it will go over 40V?) There's a lot of mileage here, once I get over paying a tenner for a 13MHz op amp.

I don't suppose it sounded very much like anything, but would you say your pre- ended up sounding more like the 7171 or did the LT impose the most character? I haven't done much of one op amp controlling another, or a chip amp, in real life, but I've played around with it endlessly in simulation. In general I'd have thought the controller amp would be the one imposing its own sound (like a 4562 around a 3886) but for some reason I seem to feel that in this instance the LM7171 (which I imagine is indistinguishable from a 6171) might prevail.

Incidentally, why did you not bandwidth limit any of this? I'm not in front of your schematic but I don't remember any capacitors in the amplifying part. There's a helluva lot of noise due to just that huge b/w that you could snip off with a capacitor in the right place. And maybe defining the b/w of the system might help it always behave - he says, slightly hopefully. :)