So How's it done?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Mark Kelly said:

The 1 / 7.5 comes from (platter speed / motor speed) in the equation I posted because 33.33 / 250 = 1 / 7.5.

The actual ratio is always slightly less than this because its (platter speed / motor speed) * (1 + creep rate). Assuming creep rate to be about .001 the ratio is about 7.4925. This difference is pretty trivial so you can ignore it.

The next bit is tricky - as sreten notes this ratio is not the ratio of pulley diameter to platter diameter. It is, as per my equation, the ratio between pulley diameter + belt thickness and platter diameter plus belt thickness. Put another way, pulley diameter = (ratio * (platter diameter + belt thickness) - belt thickness. SO here goes:

Hey Brainticket. Add the belt thickness to the platter diameter and times this by the ratio 1 / 7.5. Minus the belt thickness from the answer and there you go

Hopefully

Thanks
Are you then saying that if my platter was 170mm diameter with belt. 170 divided by 7.4925 = a pulley diameter of 22.6mm approx?

Good to get it right as this part of TT design is the most daunting, this being extremely helpful to other.

:D

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
YNWOAN said:
The cirumferance of the drive pulley should be (approx) 7.5 times smaller than the circumferance of the surface you intend to drive; i.e. the inner platter or the edge of the platter, which is why I asked you what the diameter of this component was - were you too busy stamping your feet to answer?

The sub platter i want to drive is 170mm with belt..I was'nt stamping my feet but i was clearly getting no where, but if you feel i was being a bit stroppy, well then it's got me somewhere,as mentioned if i get this problem worked out on the board Crystal it's very helpful to others in the same daunting sitiation..

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
AndrewT said:
Why did it take 22posts/replies to get here?
when post2 said
Don't bother answering that, it might take another 22 posts/replies.

Ever thought about taking up a career as a comedian.This is a perfectly simple question which may have taken 22 odd post so what! It's a descusion forum where people ask & learn..Sorry if your so brainy you have'nt got the capacity to learn anymore..

:clown:

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
SY said:
:cop:

Brainticket, let's keep things civil, especially to those who have given you the means to solve your problem.

Fine SY.These guy have got to remember not everyones as brainy as themselves, this is rather tricky stuff to a newbie...I'm sorry if it's taking so long to sink in but a tad more clarity would'nt hurt would it without being clever, would it Andrew T..?

Brainticket said:

Thanks
Are you then saying that if my platter was 170mm diameter with belt. 170 divided by 7.4925 = a pulley diameter of 22.6mm approx?

Good to get it right as this part of TT design is the most daunting, this being extremely helpful to other.

:D

Hi,

The platter diameter with belt includes two belt thickness, you need one.

So say the platter is 170mm. Belt thickness is 1mm.

Effective platter diameter = 171mm (170 + 2 x 1/2 belt thickness).

Effective pulley diameter = 171mm/7.5 = 22.80mm.

But this includes 2 x 1/2 belt thickness, so diameter = 21.80mm.

This does not include the unknown slip which you can regard as a %.
The above suggests 0.1%. belt slip % you add to the diameter,
i.e. multiply by 1.001 = 21.83mm.

Not taking the belt into account above you get 22.67 and 22.7mm.

This shows that its at the pulley end where the belt thickness
makes the most difference to the effective diameter, regardless of
what has been stated above it not "obvious" that you cannot just
treat the drive system in terms of the belts inside surface.

The above numbers suggest the simple calculation will run 4.5% fast.

However I suspect the effective diameter of a crowned pulley is
not its actual diameter, that is the crown causes belt slip much
higher than the nominal 0.1% given above.

As ever some practical experience and measurements would help.

:)/sreten.

sreten said:

The 0.1% is belt creep NOT belt slip. Slip can be cured, creep cannot (the belt must creep to transmit torque).

In my experience with DC motors the diameter at the crown is the drive diameter for the pulley if it is correctly aligned.

We seem to have lost the somewhat mis-monikered brainticket.

Mark Kelly said:

The 0.1% is belt creep NOT belt slip. Slip can be cured, creep cannot (the belt must creep to transmit torque).

In my experience with DC motors the diameter at the crown is the drive diameter for the pulley if it is correctly aligned.

We seem to have lost the somewhat mis-monikered brainticket.

Hi,

OK, just different terminology, for car tyres I regard the necessary
transmission of friction causes the wheels to "slip", i.e. turn more
than the distance travelled.

Not a good choice of terminology due to motors with loose belts ..........

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
sreten said:

Hi,

The platter diameter with belt includes two belt thickness, you need one.

So say the platter is 170mm. Belt thickness is 1mm.

Effective platter diameter = 171mm (170 + 2 x 1/2 belt thickness).

Effective pulley diameter = 171mm/7.5 = 22.80mm.

But this includes 2 x 1/2 belt thickness, so diameter = 21.80mm.

This does not include the unknown slip which you can regard as a %.
The above suggests 0.1%. belt slip % you add to the diameter,
i.e. multiply by 1.001 = 21.83mm.

Not taking the belt into account above you get 22.67 and 22.7mm.

This shows that its at the pulley end where the belt thickness
makes the most difference to the effective diameter, regardless of
what has been stated above it not "obvious" that you cannot just
treat the drive system in terms of the belts inside surface.

The above numbers suggest the simple calculation will run 4.5% fast.

As ever some practical experience and measurements would help.

Thanks Sreten you are extremely helpfull.Now all this has sunk in.Does the calculations stick if using a 300rpm motor instead of 250rpm?

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.