Small open-baffle?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks like I can't be stopped yet. :)

The Sica LP 266.25/280 ER 8 Ohm would be another driver to consider.
Sica Breitbandlautsprecher LP266.25/280 ER 8 Ohm
A comparison with the LP 165 - both in the large baffle with 1 W at 1 m:
Comp Sica LP 165_266.gif
You will have noticed the extended bass and the earlier roll-off of the heights.
Sica LP 266_25 8 wide.gif
A comparison with the infinite baffle response shows the same problem in the treble response - probably worse than for the LP 165.

Both drivers illustrate a common problem with fullrange drivers and OBs: Trying to improve the bass region by using larger baffles or larger drivers tends to compromise the balance with the treble region. Very soon you need complicated correction filters to restore the original equilibrium.

What some people call the "beautiful simplicity" of the fullrange concept becomes in real life a "bunch of compromises" in most cases.

Rudolf

I was listening to the full range speakers in my 12 year old VW Golf last night ( base model TDi ) . Slightly excellent is a word I might use. People think as I am an audio enthusiast that it is an expensive car stereo . It is the standard issue and is more than OK . The speakers communicate well and seem almost able to differentiated source material that is simple good to that which is excellent as being very different . I suspect 12 V from a battery helps ? Look at Lab 47 an Gain Clones if wanting to follow that way of thinking . I have often said to friends to buy a car stereo , battery , charger , and good speakers . So compact and often have a simple auxiliary input these days . That means MC pick up is no problem even ! A pair of Klipsch Fote 2 would do nicely .

Hi Raul,

look maybe at this one : MHP (la Maison du Haut-Parleur) : concepteur français de kits d'enceintes pour la HI-FI et le Home Cinéma...

but Fs is only 110, minimal use is 220 to 440 to avoid distorsion !

Maybe you need a 2 +1 design : a mini bass box....

xrk971 give you a good advice because wide band in open bafle is nearly impossible, I think no bass above 300 because of the rolloff of the baflestep wqhic beginns at something near 500 to 600(depends on the wide of the bafle, you need something 1 meter wide bafle to go to 200 and you need always a box for bass or big woofer with electronic compensation (=distorsion) in bass.... NOT DESKTOP FRIENDLY.

Maybe someting like suparavox wide band with a big QTS and this old usefull special design (pdf) wich is between onken and vented box but easy to tune just 4 screws to set up the event. Maybe you can imagine a mini U-frame closed behind with the suparavox system or like a two close doors to set up the bass and resonances ! But it's thicker than OB !

Why not two tubes top speaker à la Linkwitz's Pluto ?

Hope it helps.

135 LB SUPRAVOX : known for his good sound but in OB I think the QTS is too low without second driver for bass and FS is only 80 hz... so only two way or 2+1!

215 SIGNATURE Bicône SUPRAVOX : this one can help you in an OB design : high QTS, wide band, high efficienty for 5 watt Nelson amp or even a little NAD to avoid listening fatigue if you work more than one hour at your desktop !

You can imagine too a EL Jordan large TQWT with the driver near the desktop plan to boost(?) a little the bass : look at "la maison du haut parleur" : the kit with the EL Jordan is not thick, a little wide, wide band and sound good I heard it in their shop in Paris... and the icing on the cake (the schrimp on the top of the Paela) is a not expensive kit !

Attachments

• bafflescompenses[1].pdf
    129.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
I never liked the Jordan . I think my VW car speakers more nonliving . The Jordan sounds to me made of metal . I have heard it sound very good if honest . However not exactly right . Fostex a little better . There are very cheap metal cone speakers ( CPC UK ) . On paper they look almost as good .

Excellent info on Vistron .

Ha la Golf VW...

I had the two and three models with Audax aerogel drivers and gold domed tweeters... I listened more music in my car than at my home !

Trying to park between two cars in Paris during the listening to "I wanna be your dog" of the Stooges or "flying birds" of The Cramps was funny !

... hummm sorry for the revival !

I think for Raul that the smallest ever is the ma5 by EMS Speakers : http://www.emspeaker.com/ems_products.html

But for a single speaker OB i will go with the Supravox 13 cm or thye 16 cm if the 18 cm is too large : high QTS, wide band, paper cone, high efficiency... it can be found on the second hand market in Europe.

Last edited:
I have been invited to Triode something or other in Paris . I think my friends want me to design an amp . A full range VW speaker is more my choice . Might meet Mr Hiraga if I do perhaps . Seriously the VW sounds better than most . No idea who made the units . Doubt they cost 10 Euros a piece retail .

Please keep this thread going . The slight impossibility of it is why we should . I remember a baffle speaker we had at school ( Clarke and Smith ) . My girl friend also at her school . Sounded wonderful .

Sure we do. Just an idea like an other...

I think you can find this speakers in second hands car parts for less... and sure that car speakers have a big QTS because of non open bafle but small volume behind the doors !

You might meet more Lampizator than Hiraga. The first like old deutsch green paper full range finded in old radio with small boxs but the second prefer co axial Altec and big closed box for his own design.

Ma petite amie enceinte sounded comme il faut aussi !;) Ca c'est les domes et les membranes bien tendues !

Maybe I have the VW speakers somewhere in a box....

Last edited:
Funky....

I will try my 17 cm Audax aerogel for door car in a little OB after the build of the Subbu Dac and the tweak of my main speakers (brighty tweeter).
I will use a piano hinge at the base of the bafle plan to set up the tweeter temporal alignement with pivotal.

Fun easy inexpensive... thanks Nigel & Raul

I have often said to friends to buy a car stereo , battery , charger , and good speakers

Several years ago I worked in a shop of electronic equipment, including car audio. The best car audio product I've ever heard was a tuner-cassette (still no CD's) Grundig.
It was not expensive, was cheap Grundig line, I can not remember the model. was so basic taht was not digital radio, using the typical variable capacitor with a cord and a pointer.
I was so impressed with their sound I opened for what to see inside him, and amplification were simply two integrated 5-pin TO220 package, I do not remember the model, but it seems that it takes little to get a good sound.
Also, a few years ago Audioxpress was published an interview with a loudspeakers engineer. It said he had worked for some years for Jensen, and he had designed for the car audio line some full-range with excellent frequency response, perfectly suitable for Hi-Fi. Not a bad idea to use car audio equipment for home.
Regards

seems that it takes little to get a good sound

About this. I have see this web page:

Musica Series30 INT Vollverstärker | sound@home news blog

The Musica 30 is reputed to sound good, but inside are only a couple of TDA2005 in bridge configuration, and some capacitors and resistors:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The datasheet:

http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/datasheet/CD00000124.pdf

And this is a project with two TDA2005 in bridge configuration. I do not know if the Musica 30 has some special changes to the basic design, but can be a good beginning for experimenting

Electronic Circuits, Schematics Diagram, Free Electronics Projects: TDA2005 Low Cost 2x20 Watt Stereo Amplifier

Best Regards

LAB 47 is the one to copy .

RS UK ( World wide ) have TDA 2030 PCB on special . Worth getting some as I suspect they are selling them off . They seem to work for any Pentawatt chip ( TO220/5 ) . If you bridge you get more power and enhanced power supply simplification ( no current from speaker returning through ground ) Equally you get some cancellation of harmonics so change the sound . If you drive the bridge as the PDF shows from the maker I suspect that is better ( SE driven ) . I do this with valves and prefer what my scope shows . It requires double the drive voltage which for valves is a problem . That is 2 x KT88 needs 56 V rms SE driven . For Pentawatt it is nothing , just increase the gain a fraction .

Gain Clones need no PCB . The LAB 47 is called a Gain Card I think ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.