Slice Media Player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the information. I am getting hooked :yummy:
Setup updated - decided to bring a PC into the "picture" for tests.
Configured Win7 for DLNA/UPnP and was able to discover all devices. Then with Window Media Player, was able to stream music from PC into the Samsung Gear :) - No mapping of drives

Possibly I can test the EDEL-NMR this way

Final setup will be using mobile devices only

Last edited:
Hi All,

Thanks for all the information. I am getting hooked :yummy:
Setup updated - decided to bring a PC into the "picture" for tests.
Configured Win7 for DLNA/UPnP and was able to discover all devices. Then with Window Media Player, was able to stream music from PC into the Samsung Gear :) - No mapping of drives

Final setup will be using mobile devices only

Control Point at the Blu-Ray player using its own remote

Yes, that should work.

Assume this configuration is but one step on a longer journey as you've built in some dependencies?

Did you try PlugPlayer yet?

Ray

BTW. just picked this up while taking a break from working on my SO3 equipped DAC; the parts I was waiting for to complete the power supplies finally arrived.

Last edited:
Yes, that should work.

Assume this configuration is but one step on a longer journey as you've built in some dependencies?

Did you try PlugPlayer yet?

Ray

BTW. just picked this up while taking a break from working on my SO3 equipped DAC; the parts I was waiting for to complete the power supplies finally arrived.

Yes, the PlugPlayer is the missing link -Thanks! Have to wait for a while. Just found out it needs iOS8. My iPhone is the very first 5 type with iOS4 and needs 6GB extra space to upgrade OS :eek:
Clearing files to make space - Stay tuned :)

in the meantime, becoming apparent that this DLNA/UPnP stuff is looking more like a peer-peer system especially if devices on the network are more than capable. e.g, the PC shown in my earlier pic can act as a NAS when its WinMediaPlayer is set to streaming server mode. Flip it a bit and it can also be a renderer or ControlPoint. Other capable devices can also switch roles likewise. So this chameleon behaviour can be confusing to the uninitiated (like myself) :spin:

Last edited:
Acko, if you do decide to go for a separate NAS at some point, spend a little extra to get disks that are intended to be run 24 x 7 in a consumer NAS device, something like Western Digital Reds.

Ray

What about power interruptions and risks of disk corruption? Is there a shutdown switch?

I noticed that the Netgear router on my setup has no shutdown switch, just a standard power switch. I am afraid if I connect a USB drive to it then this could get corrupted! I normally power off the mains itself after my "night shift." The Samsung gear shown has a proper power On/off switch either by remote or front click button so safe to leave storage disk connected. Looks like I may have to avoid configuring the router as a simple NAS even for tests.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
What about power interruptions and risks of disk corruption? Is there a shutdown switch?

I noticed that the Netgear router on my setup has no shutdown switch, just a standard power switch. I am afraid if I connect a USB drive to it then this could get corrupted! I normally power off the mains itself after my "night shift." The Samsung gear shown has a proper power On/off switch either by remote or front click button so safe to leave storage disk connected. Looks like I may have to avoid configuring the router as a simple NAS even for tests.

Any thoughts?

Hi Acko.

You'll probably find the shutdown option somewhere on the devices web page.

That said, with a NAS you're better leaving it running 24x7 and using 'quiet' time to do things like backups; the NAS should be able to wake up PCs in standby mode to do that. Also, by powering it up and down you'll likely shorten the life of the device or disks as computing devices tend to be like old-fashioned filament light bulbs in that their failures are often thermal stress related.

Ray

Yes, the PlugPlayer is the missing link -Thanks! Have to wait for a while. Just found out it needs iOS8. My iPhone is the very first 5 type with iOS4 and needs 6GB extra space to upgrade OS :eek:
Clearing files to make space - Stay tuned :)

in the meantime, becoming apparent that this DLNA/UPnP stuff is looking more like a peer-peer system especially if devices on the network are more than capable. e.g, the PC shown in my earlier pic can act as a NAS when its WinMediaPlayer is set to streaming server mode. Flip it a bit and it can also be a renderer or ControlPoint. Other capable devices can also switch roles likewise. So this chameleon behaviour can be confusing to the uninitiated (like myself) :spin:

Ok, here it goes:
just got PlugPlayer installed on my early version iPhone5. had to upgrade iOS4 to iOS8 to get this going. No problems with the upgrade and installation succeeded.
When launched PlugPlayer was able to discover the local iPhone Media server and remote renderer (Samsung BD H6500 Blu-Ray/Media Player) of the my home network.
When music file selected to play on the remote renderer, Plugplayer freezes completely and had to force close this App.
Plays well when iPhone is the renderer (local).

Not sure what is going on :confused:
PlugPlayer support contacted...
Any help appreciated!

Any thoughts?

You'll probably find the shutdown option somewhere on the devices web page.
Ray

Got it! Thanks :)

Ok, here it goes:
just got PlugPlayer installed on my early version iPhone5. had to upgrade iOS4 to iOS8 to get this going. No problems with the upgrade and installation succeeded.
When launched PlugPlayer was able to discover the local iPhone Media server and remote renderer (Samsung BD H6500 Blu-Ray/Media Player) of the my home network.
When music file selected to play on the remote renderer, Plugplayer freezes completely and had to force close this App.
Plays well when iPhone is the renderer (local).

Not sure what is going on :confused:
PlugPlayer support contacted...
Any help appreciated!

Win7 PC as a Control Point succeeded. So network is fine. Found this useful:

Attachments

• Win7 UPnP Control Point.png
    Win7 UPnP Control Point.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 107
Did you experiment with any of the PP advanced settings;

PlugPlayer • View topic - Advanced Settings

(maybe the ignore stop/play events?)

Thanks, tried all that with no success.
Somehow while fiddling around managed to play a file but could not be replicated. Most of the time nothing happens or this App hangs. Even tried a full reboot of the iPhone and still the same behaviour :(

While waiting for some progress, few more questions came to mind:

Are these streaming media servers on DLNA/UPnP really up to audiophile performance?

Looks like they manipulate the original files and may do things like transcoding, downsampling, etc that could end up non-bit perfect?

How well do they handle HiRes Audio e.g. DxD and DSD?

TIA

Acko, like so many things the answer depends on what you use and how you use it but, yes, it is possible to operate at an audiophile level.

My personal choice for my music media server is AssetUPnP;

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm

If you check out it configuration manual you will see that it can be set up to not transcode etc. Here's the debian version manual, have a look at the 'Audio Format Streaming' section.

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-linuxmanual.htm

I can't comment on the specifics of other servers because I'm not familiar with any others but I would imagine that similar operation is possible.

Ray

Are these streaming media servers on DLNA/UPnP really up to audiophile performance?
I asked a near-identical question on this forum 5 years ago -
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/166112-streaming-audio-good-idea.html
It's interesting how awareness of this technology has expanded, somewhat, since then.

How well do they handle HiRes Audio e.g. DxD and DSD?
The author of squeezelite, Triode, has written a plugin for LMS to play DSD files as DoP. There's no native DSD at this stage for LMS, but it's probably only a question of time.

I asked a near-identical question on this forum 5 years ago -
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/166112-streaming-audio-good-idea.html
It's interesting how awareness of this technology has expanded, somewhat, since then.

Your question was on a quite different topic area, namely about whether the network 'pipe' is up to the job of transporting music files. Acko's question was about any file manipulation that might take place on a media server before it gets onto the pipe.

Ray

Adding to my comments about DSD support in post 56, I just had a look at the manual for the Edel-NMR and I see this -
One-bit DSD (Direct-Stream Digital) is also supported via DSF and DFF files.
There are several more references to DSD in the manual, but the manual doesn't reveal how DSD is supported as an input.
Since the terms "DoP" and "DoPE" are conspicuously absent, I suspect that the DSD input method is raw DSD bitstream, as explained by JRiver -
DSD Format - JRiverWiki
According to JRiver, DSD can be streamed either as DoP, or ASIO bitstreaming.

If my guess is right and the Edel-NMR does not support DoP/DoPE then it cannot (currently) render SqueezeBox/LMS DSD streams.

Raw DSD streaming is supported by some other UPnP servers apart from JRiver, for example oShare, MinimServer, Twonky, and even MiniDLNA (as contained in acko's Netgear modem).
The catch is that some modification to these server applications may be required, in particular, MIME-types may need to be added to the server configuration for DSD audio files; "audio/x-dff" and "audio/x-dsf"
Also some UPnP controller applications may choke on these DSD streams, even though the server supports them.

Bottom line:
The Edel-NMR should be able to play DSD streams, but some hoops may need to be jumped through to set up the UPnP server and controller.

Acko, if you want to test DSD streaming to your Edel-NMR, I suggest you install oShare on your Windows laptop.
oShare | SourceForge.net
It's a small, simple application, and appears to have raw DSD streaming working out of the box ... but don't hold me to that.
Later you can try the same thing on your Netgear box, but I suspect its MiniDLNA configuration may need to be tweaked. YMMV.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.