Slice Media Player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Working towards a DoP solution, I've just downloaded the DSD Codec for my dbpoweramp installation, which I believe will enable me to 'rip' a DSD file into DoP format and I'll then be able to have them in my AssetUPnP library, handled as PCM but decoded as DSD at the renderer.

All I'll need then is an Acko Supercape for my Beaglebone Black so it will auto-switch between PCM and DSD outputs.:)

Ray

Acko, All change!

Necessity being the mother of invention...

... I've ordered a new QNAP NAS as my current network storage solution is going to the retirement home in the sky. Anyway, having selected the QNAP because you can run AssetUPnP on it I got to reading the specs etc. and it turns out that minimserver is bundled with the NAS. As Asset doesn't have a DSD capability, even on the horizon, I got to reading up about minimserver, which has DSD capability and it looks like the way I'll go when the NAS gets delivered.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Ray

Acko, All change!

Necessity being the mother of invention...

... I've ordered a new QNAP NAS as my current network storage solution is going to the retirement home in the sky. Anyway, having selected the QNAP because you can run AssetUPnP on it I got to reading the specs etc. and it turns out that minimserver is bundled with the NAS. As Asset doesn't have a DSD capability, even on the horizon, I got to reading up about minimserver, which has DSD capability and it looks like the way I'll go when the NAS gets delivered.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Ray

Thanks Ray, looks good! I am also trying to emulate your setup :)
Yes, we will need DSD capability server and also 384KHz PCM capability

Thanks Ray, looks good! I am also trying to emulate your setup :)
Yes, we will need DSD capability server and also 384KHz PCM capability

Progress update. I've installed and configured the new QNAP NAS. I settled for the TS-231 model in the end. Setup was web-based and pretty slick; it went without a hitch.

There's a lot of functionality with the NAS but it didn't take long to get the basics sorted out and I've loaded up copies of my music, pictures and videos.

I've installed minimserver and have got as far as playing some music from the minimserver library on the Botic/SO3/Buffalo DAC using BubbleUPnP as the control point. Minimserver isn't as easy to set up as Asset but after I sorted out minimwatch and minimstreamer I was able to start making sense of the details.

I did a very quick experiment with a DSD file. I downloaded a free .dsf file from Channel Classics and added it to the library (The download consists of FLAC files at 44.1, 96 and 192KHz as well as the .dsf). Minimserver uses DOP transcoding to get the DSD data to the DAC so I set that up and selected the file to play; it appeared to play successfully as nothing froze and playback progress was reported on Bubble but I didn't hear anything as I don't have a Supercape to perform PCM/DSD switching on the BBB/Botic combo. Promising though.

Ray

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.