Slewmaster - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"

I have built an input controller ,selector,volume control (publiced by Elektor,pic18f452,pga2311A) .I believe that is good for low budget construction
thanks for your contribution.
I remember the Elektor mag article 020046(Hi-End PreAmp) using the JAL language.
Who want's to start the thread ?
Sure I will participate, even if it is offering ideas. I basically have all the nuts n bolts which includes a good code base for any such device. Software is a big effort, especially when folks want to add on internet control, now we need code for two devices, where does it end? :)
When I designed the portable media player/tuner, it was basically a test bed for the bigger project, the analog/digital pre-amp/tuner/controller. I am still am writing code today, for the portable, 1000's of lines of code and still no wi-fi/blue-tooth/zig-bee, not that I care, as I do not not even own a cell phone but it is almost the norm if you are to sell it as a product for todays young demographic.
If we are going to collabourate, we should agree on a common tool paths, I would think.
I actually have a whole pre-amp captured/layout in orcad on one big multi-layer pcb,
1) dual toroid trans ps for analog and digital supplies
2) 7.1 audio inputs, relay switched, was going to use it with my pioneer 5.1 dvd/sacd/cd disk player, got out of hand $-wise, complexity, big coding learning curve, so shelved it and designed the portable instead.
3) 8 digital spdif inputs,toslink,coax using a cs8416
4) ti src4192
5) ti pcm1794A dac
6) volume using pga2320 for main 2 ch and pga2311/pga4311 for other channels
7) pcm2902b usb codec
8) MM/MC phono, dennis colins lp797 and a audio express article on the MM pre
9) Si4735 radio
10) doug selfs var freq tone control on main stereo channels
11) atmel xmega with IR/USB remote control
see attached zip for review
many of the above functions I have running on the portable, except for the digital/dac stuff.

so that is what i can offer, the whole design, well at least what I dreamt up once upon a time, nuts and bolts.
i do have many new ideas/improvements after my portable design experience.
see what you guys think, but I do agree we should start a new thread if we want to proceed with this idea

Attachments

• SCHE_7.1 A_D pre-amp.zip
    538.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Top assembly.pdf
    570.6 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
I remember the Elektor mag article 020046(Hi-End PreAmp) using the JAL language.

Sure I will participate, even if it is offering ideas. I basically have all the nuts n bolts which includes a good code base for any such device. Software is a big effort, especially when folks want to add on internet control, now we need code for two devices, where does it end? :)
When I designed the portable media player/tuner, it was basically a test bed for the bigger project, the analog/digital pre-amp/tuner/controller. I am still am writing code today, for the portable, 1000's of lines of code and still no wi-fi/blue-tooth/zig-bee, not that I care, as I do not not even own a cell phone but it is almost the norm if you are to sell it as a product for todays young demographic.
If we are going to collabourate, we should agree on a common tool paths, I would think.
I actually have a whole pre-amp captured/layout in orcad on one big multi-layer pcb,
2) 7.1 audio inputs, relay switched, was going to use it with my pioneer 5.1 dvd/sacd/cd disk player, got out of hand $-wise, complexity, big coding learning curve, so shelved it and designed the portable instead.
4) ti src4192
5) ti pcm1794A dac
7) pcm2902b usb codec
9) Si4735 radio
many of the above functions I have running on the portable, except for the digital/dac stuff.

so that is what i can offer, the whole design, well at least what I dreamt up once upon a time, nuts and bolts, see what you guys think, but I do agree we should start a new thread if we want to proceed with this idea
Come over to the pitchfork thread.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/272915-pitchfork-pre-amplifier.html#post4291362
I see you settled for the 1794A , Jeff wants the mobile 5102 ... :scratch1:

Thank you.

OS

Last edited:
They'll be shelling out more to their IT guy than the $20 they stiffed me for. Kids have no conscience.:D

One of my "Challenging" Students reminded me of that one day when a group of
teens in a car came driving on the the lawn doing burnouts and donutes which
came flying at us during the HS outside event. When I asked if anyone or who
got the plate number of the car. Hey Mister, you don't understand that its the
kids who kill kids because they don't care. Aint' no one going to give you a
plate number. I thought....damn he's right.

if you are a good teacher and listen to kids also, it ends up being
you learn as much or more from them as they from you.

I"m kind of a dick to them. I"m kind of a hard ***. So I was really
suprised that hear from one of the worst little girls statements in the
school proclaimed....We like you Mister. Why I ask shocked.
Because, she said, You make us do the things we are supposed to do.

Kid's need that (instruction/ guidance).

They will like you for making decisions for them.

Two reasons -

1.They don't have to make them .

2.Your decisions might make them MUCH happier because
then .... , they don't screw up (jail , death , trouble , pain).

When they realize this by occasionally making their own
decision and failing , all is well.

OS

4) ti src4192
5) ti pcm1794A dac
7) pcm2902b usb codec
9) Si4735 radio

so that is what i can offer, the whole design, well at least what I dreamt up once upon a time, nuts and bolts.
i do have many new ideas/improvements after my portable design experience.
see what you guys think, but I do agree we should start a new thread if we want to proceed with this idea

I finally got a chance to look at your schematics. Nice work! I'd like to do something this elaborate eventually for my theater system but with room correction. HDMI switching and decoding would be good too. Right now I've got a Yamaha RX-V2700 cooking my equipment closet. It needs more power and less heat.

Thinking too much, maybe?

Just a thought, bear with me for a moment...

One of the things about the IPS sections that have shunt regulated circuitry that I always thought could be improved just a little is to eliminate the need for a builder to calculate / experimentally derive the dropper resistor value to ensure proper function. At the expense of some minor added complexity, not even in the direct audio chain, we could completely remove the power supply magnitude dependence. Any thoughts on integrating something like the following:

Using a CCS to feed the shunt regulator that is set to pass an appropriate current to make the design effectively adjustment-free. That way the shuntie always works as intended, without regard for supply voltage (within reason).

I only suggest such a thing because there have been a few instances of needing to do some troubleshooting solely because the shunt regulator wasn't working due to too high a dropper resistor value being used (or conversely testing with too low a power supply voltage). Sometimes folks don't realize that the values typically published for the SlewMaster are usually optimized for about +/-70V rails and operating at lower voltages may require different dropper resistor values.

Any thoughts? Superfluous complexity or potential boon for 'first time, every time' function? I have a tendency like anything that 'takes care of itself' where possible. It does remove even more ripple / garbage off the rails as another bonus. The basic shunt reduces ripple -51dB and the CCS shunt is -72dB, and the CCS shunt with voltage dropping pre-filter is -90dB (simulated results). Of course, we are already following a capacitance multiplier on the OPS so this may just be gilding the lily, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Attachments

• IPS Shunt Regulator.PNG
    IPS Shunt Regulator.PNG
    140.7 KB · Views: 571
Just a thought, bear with me for a moment...

One of the things about the IPS sections that have shunt regulated circuitry that I always thought could be improved just a little is to eliminate the need for a builder to calculate / experimentally derive the dropper resistor value to ensure proper function. At the expense of some minor added complexity, not even in the direct audio chain, we could completely remove the power supply magnitude dependence. Any thoughts on integrating something like the following:

Using a CCS to feed the shunt regulator that is set to pass an appropriate current to make the design effectively adjustment-free. That way the shuntie always works as intended, without regard for supply voltage (within reason).

I only suggest such a thing because there have been a few instances of needing to do some troubleshooting solely because the shunt regulator wasn't working due to too high a dropper resistor value being used (or conversely testing with too low a power supply voltage). Sometimes folks don't realize that the values typically published for the SlewMaster are usually optimized for about +/-70V rails and operating at lower voltages may require different dropper resistor values.

Any thoughts? Superfluous complexity or potential boon for 'first time, every time' function? I have a tendency like anything that 'takes care of itself' where possible. It does remove even more ripple / garbage off the rails as another bonus. The basic shunt reduces ripple -51dB and the CCS shunt is -72dB, and the CCS shunt with voltage dropping pre-filter is -90dB (simulated results). Of course, we are already following a capacitance multiplier on the OPS so this may just be gilding the lily, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

No , not a bad idea. I actually considered a more complex shunt.

But then , imagine the spooky with 10% more components. This was my
quandary. I opted for the oversized 3.3K.

Your idea might solve the only small issue with some of the symmetrical
IPS's. What happens on shutdown ?

12V zener rails shut down first ... this does mute the ips (no squeal) ,
but the VAS goes high Z , and there is no servo control. The OPS
will usually "pick" a rail to discharge - making for a small thump.

On the other hand , having the input powered on shutdown (your "fix")
might allow the amp to show it's "voltage dependent phase margin errata".

Just "food for thought"....

OS