Slewmaster - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"

Btw, does anyone know what the power dissipation is in the output pairs? How much of the power is dissipated as heat?
If we know the % of the input power that goes to heat we can calculate the heatsink needed for that input power.
Not sure if the efficiency will remain the same or not with less or more input power.

If we know the dissipation we can check the datasheet what the max junction temperature would be for this ammount of power dissipation, depending on the used transistor.
Thermal resistances can be quite easily found in datasheets.So we can then calculate what heatsink is needed, or how much input power a certain heatsink can take.
I haven't seen any calculations, are you all guessing?:)

If I'm not mistaken, more output transistors = lower Rth
thermal resistance (for junction to case & thermal (insulation) pad) can be divide by the number of output trannies, same for the total power dissipation. The heatsink still needs to be able to get rid of the full power ofcourse.
More transistors would mean that we can survive higher junction temperature as well.

I think it might be cheaper to add more output pairs then upgrade the heatsink.. and certainly take less place:)

I'm considering to start with 2 channels, but if all would go right I might consider 6 channels, as an (awesome) surround amp.. splitting the same power over 6 channels.. But then heatsink size does play a role ofcourse. Although that is far from sure, I'd rather take it into account already.

Keep up the good work guys:)

I put up a calculation of the required heatsink in our local forum.

SLEWMASTER Build

If any a constructive comment is always welcome...

If I'm not mistaken, more output transistors = lower Rth
thermal resistance (for junction to case & thermal (insulation) pad) can be divide by the number of output trannies, same for the total power dissipation. The heatsink still needs to be able to get rid of the full power ofcourse.
More transistors would mean that we can survive higher junction temperature as well.
Hum... not always so simple. Imagine you are using laterals.
One of the advantage of those devices is they have a current where they are thermally flat. Usually around 150mA. It is the point where they sound the best too.
So each time you double the number of devices, you will like to double the quiescent current.

Symasui initial testing...

Got a Symasui board stuffed today for QC check. Looks good so far, just need to get an appropriate op-amp for the servo tomorrow.

Attachments

• HPIM0869.JPG
    HPIM0869.JPG
    773.3 KB · Views: 650
Sounds like some kind if instability going on between the IPS and OPS. I haven't looked too closely at Valery's IPS but I'll have a peek and see if just a compensation change might bring it into line. Of course, Valery's knows his IPS better than I so any suggestion he had supersedes mine.

@Valery - If you could benefit from a SlewMaster OPS board please PM me.

Last edited: