Single sheet TH challenge

Yup... That's the best part there...

You can't beat that.. and it's only my second set I make... I did one mistake that I did not correct.... the 8" board... You have 12.26 (If I recall right from my memory).. I got used to starting from the 1" mark on my tape measure, to get pretty close to the mark... that would put me at the 13.25" Marker on my tape measure... well I used the 0" mark and still put it at 13.25" Marker... I didn't see that till the glue was already dried up... so I just left it... I'm not sure what kind of audio changes that will do...

That mistake was me just trying to finish my first box that day before the sun went down, oh and I didn't put the braces on it...

I'm also grateful for this site and all their contributors... if I do build these boxes, I would only charge for the actual build... you know I find that most people do not want to bother with building anything... They would just rather get the final product and enjoy it...

I found this site after searching the net for a TH mini Clone, I wasn't looking for a 12" sub nor an 18" sub.. I wanted a 15"... Luckily I came to this site, found the design for the set of 4 but they seemed too big for me... Then the cube.. Which sounded like it was great for what it's sice, but I ended up going with this one since it was only a few more inches taller and would be more efficient going lower in the frequency response..

I may one day consider building 4 12" TH Mini for comparison, but I have to save up the cash... those subs are expensive..

Really... Mmmm.... Everywhere I looked those were over $200... Great find... Maybe I can start by building two... :)

But for now I'm really happy with the 15" SS15's and a pair EV ZX5, with this sub I may even consider selling the ZX5's and going with a smaller version... But then again these ZX5's are not too big nor are they too heavy... I can fit a pair of the subs and a pair of the EV's into the bed of my truck along with the rest of the DJ Equipment...

Does someone know what the Fane SOVEREIGN PRO 15-600 LF would do in the SS15?
Right now i got 4 bayma 18" G400 loeded in reflex, how would 4 SS15 compare?

Cheers :)

Checked the sovereign driver, a couple db less total output vs 3015lf, but other than that, works well, almost the same response profile.

You didn't give me much to go on with the Beyma, however I made some educated guesses assuming a 40-100hz passband. At 42hz port tuning, you run out of xmax at 350watts. Obviously this is just a guess at your current cabinet.

I still haven't figured out how to get my measurements to line up with hornresp. Hornresp says 40hz should be 10db down vs 60hz on the SS15, and I only measure 5db down.

Oh, well -- the attached is max spl staying within xmax of each driver. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• TH-vs-18ported-guess.JPG
    TH-vs-18ported-guess.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,131
Checked the sovereign driver, a couple db less total output vs 3015lf, but other than that, works well, almost the same response profile.

You didn't give me much to go on with the Beyma, however I made some educated guesses assuming a 40-100hz passband. At 42hz port tuning, you run out of xmax at 350watts. Obviously this is just a guess at your current cabinet.

I still haven't figured out how to get my measurements to line up with hornresp. Hornresp says 40hz should be 10db down vs 60hz on the SS15, and I only measure 5db down.

Oh, well -- the attached is max spl staying within xmax of each driver. Hope it helps.

Well my Beyma sits in a 170 br cab tuned to 38hz :) dont know if that helps :)

Well my Beyma sits in a 170 br cab tuned to 38hz :) dont know if that helps :)

Adjusted to 170liter@38hz. It still exceeds xmax at 350watts. I also adjusted to 4 cabinets vs 4 cabinets.

The big difference is the 'quality' of the sound, the lower distortion, and the directionality of the TH vs the BR style cabinet.
Even if hornresp said they were db to db the same... distortion is lower, no port compression, etc... in the TH.

Not bad for a $150 dollar 15" vs a $300 dollar 18"

Attachments

• TH-vs-18ported-guess2.JPG
    TH-vs-18ported-guess2.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,056
Last edited:
hi im new to the forum and this is my first post, i had to join when reading this topic hats off to jbell this looks like a cracking design.

i want to build a couple of these for my system and i can get good deals on Faital Pro here in the uk how would the 15FH500 work in this cab?

thanks again, exciting stuff.

I'm sitting here wondering if this thing could be any better ... what if the expansion was just a little smoother?

How about ...

Don -- I've given it a LOT of thought on if it could be better, and still be cut out of a singlesheet. I'd like it to have just a hair more 40hz single box. Here is the only way I can think of to do it. The box would be 1" shorter at 29" and you'd have to splice one interior panel with a 6" and a 3.5" board. And you'd only have enough scrap to have a single back to bottom brace.

This should acoustically make the cabinet longer/lower, and have just a hair less upper end.

thoughts? Hornresp says it's not really worth doing.... But something in me says it's worth trying, just to see.

Attachments

• ss15upgrade.JPG
    ss15upgrade.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,040
Last edited:

Sounds interesting, as this can be picked up for about £35-40 cheaper than the 3015lf in the Uk.. :)

What would be the maximum input for fane sovereign driver Jbell?

Would also be interested to see how the PD12SB30 12" driver would do?
Link with spec's

Precision Devices International Limited

:)

The PPD12SB30 is a reasonable choice for a Mini 12" TH clone with its 7mm X-max.
The 15" standard is set by the Eminence 3015LF. Its economical, light, and has a X-max of 9.6mm. It is also more efficient in a TH than most comparable drivers.
The one 15" PD driver that is comparable is the PDN15BR40 This sims well in a TH with an efficiency that is comparable to the 3015LF.
It also has the advantages of a 4" voice coil a 10.5mm X-max and a 700W AES rating.
In the UK it is not that more expensive than the Eminence.
Precision Devices International Limited
here is a comparison based on the Hornresp Data in post 38 @ 2.83V
The 3015lf is the grey and the PDN15BR40 is the black:D

Attachments

• PDN15BR40.JPG
    PDN15BR40.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,775
I see that the Eminence 3015 LF has dropped in price to £116 at Blue Aran ( Last time I looked it was over £140):eek:
Point is most budget drivers will have conciderably lower efficiency and power handling in a TH. I dont know what to recommend to you that will give you a better price/performance ratio
The Fane sovereign Pro 600lf is £90
Is it worth throwing away 2db off efficiency for £26
The Fane driver runs out of X-max at 40V (200w 8 ohm)
The Eminence & Precision Devices Neo drivers take approximately 50% more power to get to X-max

I haven't found a better 'bang for the buck' driver than the 3015lf so far for the ss15. There are obviously other drivers that work, and some even work better... but at a cost.

I've had a couple questions about the HS12 tops that I've been using with the SS15 subs. The name HS12 is 'half sheet' 12" driver tops, as I can get a pair of them (barely) out of a single sheet of ply.

Attached are a couple pics, and any enterprising person can from these, reproduce my tops. I personally use eminence beta 12a-2's with selenium 16ohm 220i compression drivers. I use a simple 12db/oct 1900hz crossover with high C=2.6uf, L=2.68mh and low C=5.24, L=1.34mh. (at least that's the values the crossover calculator gave me.) I used parts express components that were as close to that as possible, the high capacitor needs to be a poly, and the high inductor needs to be air core, electrolytic and iron core is ok for woofer. If you are going to stack, the goldwood pb500 horn works, and for single cabinets I've used the dayton 12" conical waveguide. In both cases I just bolt the horn to the metal grill. The PE square hole grill is very strong and is actually what I designed this cabinet around.

Attachments

• hs12.JPG
    hs12.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,722
  • hs12notes.jpg
    hs12notes.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 1,704
Going by the graph, the HS12 appears to have a somewhat falling response.

How does this affect use / performance / setup?

I do like the design, it looks a little like an easier OT12, to be honest!

Regards, Ben

Ben, you are on the money on the design. Yes, I started with an OT12 style cabinet and fixed the things I didn't like.

Ports on the sides create feedback. Ports deep in the horn sound funky...
The baffle with the small 'fill' plates is easier/faster
The cabinet size is designed for a PE metal grill / and horn lens bolts to grill. (only use the square hole grill, round hole PE grill is too flimsy)
The horn is a low pass, and the eminence typical 'rising response' counteracts that. (horn low pass keeps you from having to eq out the midrange 'honk')
Any cabinet not 'midbass heavy' in 2pi sounds weak in 4pi (on stands) so yes, this is kinda a 'midbass heavy' design. You can see how even in single cabinet, this design is strong to 100hz.
A selenium 220 sounds MUCH better than an ads1001
16ohm selenium matches up to the 8 ohm beta12a-2 almost perfectly, no resistors needed in crossover.
VERY LITTLE eq needed when used with the dayton 12" waveguide, and a nice open, non honky sound comes from compression driver.
1.9khz crossover means no 'fillers' needed, no need to get 12" to run up to 3.5k (selenium can go down to 1.5khz if needed)
95hz port tuning means this cabinet is good xmax down to 60hz if you 'have' to run no subs, and is strong down through 100hz. (which is important for male vocals)

Last edited:
Ben, you are on the money on the design. Yes, I started with an OT12 style cabinet and fixed the things I didn't like.

Ports on the sides create feedback. Ports deep in the horn sound funky...
The baffle with the small 'fill' plates is easier/faster
The cabinet size is designed for a PE metal grill / and horn lens bolts to grill. (only use the square hole grill, round hole PE grill is too flimsy)
The horn is a low pass, and the eminence typical 'rising response' counteracts that. (horn low pass keeps you from having to eq out the midrange 'honk')
Any cabinet not 'midbass heavy' in 2pi sounds weak in 4pi (on stands) so yes, this is kinda a 'midbass heavy' design. You can see how even in single cabinet, this design is strong to 100hz.
A selenium 220 sounds MUCH better than an ads1001
16ohm selenium matches up to the 8 ohm beta12a-2 almost perfectly, no resistors needed in crossover.
VERY LITTLE eq needed when used with the dayton 12" waveguide, and a nice open, non honky sound comes from compression driver.
1.9khz crossover means no 'fillers' needed, no need to get 12" to run up to 3.5k (selenium can go down to 1.5khz if needed)
95hz port tuning means this cabinet is good xmax down to 60hz if you 'have' to run no subs, and is strong down through 100hz. (which is important for male vocals)

So you're running a single Beta 12A-2 with the Selenium? I'm curious, because the Selenium is listed as 109dB / 2.83V (which is 0.5W into 16Ω), whereas the Eminence sims as 103dB in your horn.

Is it no problem for the amp to run a speaker with 8Ω woofer and 16Ω tweeter?

I read earlier you were using the Goldwood GM-500PB, now you mention a Dayton... is this one better?

This looks like an interesting top, if it can hit 123dB at 100W and can be built for under 200 bucks.