Single or dual differential?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
john curl said:
You are close, hitsware. This design concept is about 30 years old, as it was first used in the JC-2. Now, how can we improve it?

I know it can be unstable. In at times unpridictable ways. Also at times it will blow the P channel output (using Hitachis). Perhaps it blows the outputs by pulling the gate too low and burning the input zener so gate resistors may solve that. The whole thing may be better implemented with bipolars (putting the - input devices on the heatsinks for thermal compensation. AND carefull selection of the outputs (rugged enough to withstand the SOA problems this type output scheme (common emitter(source)) seems to engender.........mike

Mr.Curl,

What if we replace the resistors on the tails of the differential with adjustable current sources, we would be then able to adjust bias and dc offset at the same time.
My question , how the bias stability of such a circuit would be?

Regards,
Jam

First, think about removing ALL the current sources and just using 1 resistor between the source pairs on the input. Second, this is actually a very stable design, because it has almost no gain, but 1/2A Hitachi devices can be problematic, because they are not well matched in this situation. The P channel looks like a triode, but the N channel looks like a pentode. Too much 2'nd harmonic. How do we fix this?

Mr. Curl,

If you were to update the JC-3, would this be the topology you would use? It would be fairly simple to add a Vbe multiplier and outputs to the circuit.

If this is is correct would you choose bipolars (with drivers) or mosfets for the outputs, and would you still use the inverting configuration?

Regards,
Jam

Frank,

Trolling the solid state section again? .......................;) You will soon be joining us. :D :D :D

Regards,
Jam

Attachments

• geifman5.gif
    geifman5.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 839
john curl said:
First, think about removing ALL the current sources and just using 1 resistor between the source pairs on the input. Second, this is actually a very stable design, because it has almost no gain, but 1/2A Hitachi devices can be problematic, because they are not well matched in this situation. The P channel looks like a triode, but the N channel looks like a pentode. Too much 2'nd harmonic. How do we fix this?

Mr Curl,

Cascoding could work good, but would'nt be easier to use other output devices? (better matched ones)

Could you explain me why it has low gain? I thought that dif pairs had a very high gain. Are dual differentials different?
So, can hitsware's schematic be used as if, without feedback?

hitsware said:

Wouldn't that make it class B ? I.E. at quiessence there would be a virtual ground at the center of the resistor and grounds on the gates (assuming the gates are tied together (+to+ & -to-)

Duuh ..... I keep forgetting jfets are depletion devices ... Still sort of a nebuosity(sp?) about the 'virtual gnd' between the halves, but ..... (1/2 way between + and -) = 0

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
What would JC do.......

Change the resistor connecting the sources of N pair and P pair of JFETs to three delta connected resistors with the bottom resistor between the sources of the P JFET pair. Adjusting the value of this resistor will change the degeneration and gain for that half of the circuit to compensate for the N channel MOSFET's greater transconductance than the P channel MOSFET. The parallel combination of the other two resistors will set the bias current of the JFETs independently of the value of degeneration resistor for the P pair of JFETs. You also need to cascode the JFETs for supply voltage above about +/- 20 volts. R1 and R3 will set the bias for the the front end and output stage and will be something different than value shown on the schematic below.

Attachments

• curljfetfe1.jpg
    curljfetfe1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 936
Actually, this makes a pretty lousy power amp, BECAUSE there is no loop gain with a low Z load. Makes a darn good line amp, however.
I even made the Grateful Dead line driver to drive the final mix from the mixing board to the stage with a similar configuration. All else being equal, fets are better than bipolars, but sometimes bipolars are useful in this circuit.

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
Not 2nd guessing but.......

Well, maybe not no loop gain. The Hitachi K1058/J162 pair biased at half an amp would give an output stage gain of about 5 for 4 ohms I believe. With two pair of output devices and some fairly low value drain resistors for the JFET front end to drive the MOSFET Gate to source capacitance, I bet you could get 16 or 20 dB of negative feedback. This wouldn't be a great measuring amp but might not sound too bad. I have the parts around...... maybe I will simulate it and build it if the numbers look reasonable.

Re: Not 2nd guessing but.......

Fred Dieckmann said:
This wouldn't be a great measuring amp but might not sound too bad.

Yes! There is a certain quality to the common emitter(source) type configuration. Sort of a fullness in the low end.......
BUT beware (maybe a sim would catch it) of sudden 'mode shifts' for lack of a better term. Since the gain of the output stage does vary so does the feedback (if used). ALSO I think some sort of "shootthrough" (too much conduction from rail to rail through the outputs) sometimes occurs........mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.