Simplistic NJFET RIAA

yes.that`s right.i used schematic from pdf with your sugestions to adapt 5.5-6ma idss jfets to the original schematic.
psu uses 4 wires.
the caps all are wima.in future i want to change the ones in signal path with some pio from ampohm or something from mundorf
i`ve tested the pre with battery and with the shunt regulator from the pdf.but guess first i have to put the pre into a metal box and then test it again because i have very much ambiental noise if i can call it so(it can be heard at the superior half of volume) and i can`t make a fairly comparation.anyway with the volume not too loud the pre is really quiet and this when is powered with the shunt

really nice circuit.didn`t expect it to sound this good

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You can succeed in making it really quiet. The one just before by smpkje is 15dB more than yours (56dB) with 5-6 times lower output cartridge and he reports 'gravely silent'. First of all a box of course. Then you can judge grounding if anything hum & buzz remains. I see a soundcard interface? You may use for FFT to help you watch harmonic noise (50-100Hz and multiples) to debug when finishing.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I judgementally balance the whole circuit against the query and the Jfets at hand. Like noise contribution VS needed gain for stated cart, checking the Riaa curve with simulated anti Riaa, because it changes with load resistors and bias currents, THD must stay in bounds, watching there is supply headroom etc. The so many builds and feedback plus the different copies I have listened in many systems help too. Nothing exotic as a method. The Jfet model has been refined for real world measurements, following Yfs curves from Toshiba and using adequate -Vpinch so it yields reality compatible bias and gain, stuff like that. Variations on a known theme in other words.

Only the left channel modified as you said
The gain now is 58.4 DB as I can measure.

Attachments

• P1010073.JPG
    P1010073.JPG
    706.7 KB · Views: 339
  • P1010074.JPG
    P1010074.JPG
    700.8 KB · Views: 306