Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Entire chain is as follow:
Moded Rega RP1, Hana EH-MC, Furutech pure Ag cables, Salas phono with Saligny synchronous rectifiers, handmade Mundorf Ag-Au interconnects, Quasar amplifier, High Density speaker cables, Triangle Genese Quartet.

Regards,
Tibi

Hana carts are nice. Triangle speakers are no Harbeths for spot on tonality but also not sleepy like such, sensitive with vivid dynamics and timing, controlled and clean especially good for Rock, the Deltas at least I had listened to. Yours although with 16cm woofers are not kidding, they manage to crack the phone's mic when the kick drum comes in on that song in your short video. :up:

P.S.
I had spotted the ideal rectifier boards on the Raw PSU from the start, but I wasn't expecting normal diodes on a build of yours anyway, that is why I did not ask what they are. :)

Yes, Hana is a nice discovery. The cartridge is new and need some break-in as well.
The disc is from 1987 and the band is called Celelalte Cuvinte (The other words)
Celelalte Cuvinte - Celelalte Cuvinte (1987) - YouTube
The disk if far from a good shape, as it was listen many, many times and kept in not so good conditions.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I received my boards and parts from Teabag yesterday and have started populating the boards. I finished the raw power board last night, works perfect. A couple of quick easy questions. Do I need to use the 9-volt battery and build strings of 3 and 4 and do I need to match any transistors in the regulators?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Those particular LEDS should be quite consistent. You could try pick two same total VF quartets out of them if having time to perfect, although not too productive in real terms. Takes comparable enough IDSS Q7s too.
As for the reg LED triplets, VF matching is absolutely indifferent in this version. No transistors to match there either, you could choose the more alike IDSS JFETs for J1-J1 J2-J2 J3-J3 places between 1.3S reg boards if you had measured them.

Last edited:
I finally took some pictures of my earlier UFSP beta build. These boards are a little different regarding regulation. I've been listening to the unit for about four months now and still find it absolutely stunning sounding. I would choose cases of a smaller width if I were building another one. Sorry for the lousy picture lighting.

The current analog setup is Technics SL-1200G with Hana ML -> UFSP -> Yarra / Melbourne preamp -> Aleph J mono blocks -> Ellis Audio 1801B. It's a very beautiful sounding combo.

How did I come to have some beta boards? Many years ago, when I first started thinking about trying to build some DIY audio gear, I found this DIY Audio site, started searching on the piece of gear I wanted to build, and found somebody who went by the moniker Tea-Bag. A couple years earlier, Tea-Bag had a group buy for the boards I wanted to try building. I figured I would be out of luck because the group buy was long passed, and I had no idea what country this Tea-Bag guy lived in.

Nevertheless, I sent him a note and asked him if he still had boards. He replied fairly quickly mentioning that he in fact did still have some boards, and asked me to email him my shipping address and he would ship them out. I sent along my shipping address, and received a rather strange reply: "OK, they should arrive in about five minutes." ???

Five minutes later a car comes down the driveway, Tea-Bag jumps out and hand delivers the boards. Turns out we live about four miles away from each other. Tea-Bag has been very kind to me ever since.

Thanks Tea-Bag and Salas!

Attachments

• UFSPplusPS.jpg
    UFSPplusPS.jpg
    621.5 KB · Views: 292
  • UBIB.jpg
    UBIB.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 289
  • UFSP.jpg
    UFSP.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 293
  • Rack.jpg
    Rack.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 293
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
@aljordan

Of course! You are Tea's "neighbor" the early unbiased beta tester while developing the UFSP package. A true pioneer with regular Ultrabib 1.3 shunt PSU boards.

Thanking you too. You had contributed with proof of assembly by third party and sonics opinion. Nice story the way you met, I did not know it.