Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Hi Nick,
Success!!! I installed 10nF C0G between input returns and FSP enclosure at female RCAs with short leads, and no RF is getting in. Tested several times during this evening and it is no clicks anymore.
I left ferrite and as I mentioned, it is 3 loops of TT cable on it.
Now, it is very nice and quite background at max volume. Thank you a lot.

For SUTs, I have Stevens and Billington SUTs with 1:5/10/20. They are running about $750 a piece. They are sweet and I can use them with my Triode Japan Corp. made MM phono ( BTW, which is based on Marantz 7c with some alterations). Unfortunately for SUTs, that setup is not getting close to the transparency and details which I hear from Salas FSP.
a82edcf1b42f65c64efe28985d3b5ce6.jpg
e4b3ef4f6485c5b02b350fa83be56364.jpg
37427f321cec99b1e930e56983a71403.jpg
b0f5ce0fb63abbf75b06970c362de4f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had 4 loops on ferrite (sorry for misleading you) and during test I discovered that less than 3 loops setup is allowing clicks to be sounded. So, with 2 loops I still hear some, but quieter then with 1 loop. 3 Lops is absolutely nothing. Can't notice about any sound change yet. All sounds the same with and without ferrite.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Since the signal in that place is tiny and it can't saturate the ferrite plus there is no overall feedback in the FSP for the ferrite loops to can alter some crucial phase margin negatively, I guess its a fine practical solution in your case. No odd sonic effects indeed, as you concluded in the actual rig test. The turns you used are very few anyway. Down to absolute necessary. No worries then.

@ alexkosha

I did not follow all your periples until you completely eliminated the noise but I am very interested as I did experience the same kind of trouble in one of my setups.

Where did you place the ferrites ? in the input cables ?

Yes, io input cables close to the end with RCAs. Tried 3 ferrite sizes and choose mid one. Small did not work at all and big one was too heavy. Please see attached picture.
735caf5235e2a542af4813719ae67db2.jpg

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Yes, io input cables close to the end with RCAs. Tried 3 ferrite sizes and choose mid one. Small did not work at all and big one was too heavy. Please see attached picture.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thank you.

And you also added a 10nF cap from RCA gnd to chassis at input right ?

I wish I could see what is in the blackness.

I see a very thin wire going into the blue sleeve and an equal diameter wire going into the red sleeve.
These wires each feed a separate RCA.
What are those wires?

Further back (away from the RCA+Sleeves) I see some insulation wrapped around the wires and then I see a thicker black wire. That thicker wire is looped through the ferrite. What is inside that thicker wire?

I can see the very thin black wire. But I can't see where it comes from, nor where it goes to.

Last edited: