Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Got a folded version (from GB) runing now :cool:
I go for 43db gain because i have a denon DL 110 in stock.

But for test i still use a MM ortofon OM 10 (4mv) just to compare with my previous preamp (simple pacific evo with 2sk170 cascoded with à fet).

Will I have in this configuration test a proper overload margin at the input ?

NB : of course, i had listening test (but not with the denon) with tends to present an unpeculiar dull treble. No C2y mounted for the moment and i use a 33k load which is the proper value for the OM 10.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
43dB will still play at 4mV with no clipping but can give higher than expected second harmonic at peaks. Rx 33K if parallel to 47K R1 will go too low eating treble. Confirm 33K with DMM at input RCA. Riaa curve should be very close to neutral if the parts values are good to spec. Maybe you need some additional Cx load for the OM10 to catch up on treble especially when on 33K. You can use the Rx DIP positions for Cx. Also recheck the arm for VTA.

thx. 33k, R1 is not mounted. I already test 47k which is better but... Simulation gives 33k as flat response even Ortofon suggests 47k. Web search suggests few hudnred pf for this cartridge, i will try this Week.

At last, may be is it also sonic signature of final coupling cap (Russian K75 2.2uF + 100nF K72 teflon cap) which gave similar effect (but not that "high") on my old preamp. will use other coupling cap to try

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Make sure that the RIAA components (R14,R5,R6,C1,C2) aren't out of 1% spec (especially C2 15nF part). You may also use 47nF C3 interstage coupling to lighten up the tone. For Cx take it in steps since there is already parasitic capacitance in the TT cabling and in the preamp.

P.S. Maybe you used to load with 100K in the other MM preamp?

I use 0.1 % Resistor
C2 equals 14.58 and 14.65nF

On my old preamp, the load is 33R.

So i try to make some A/B comparison "like", same vinyl, wire and re-wire as quick as possible (just to avoid relying on my memory as much as possible) :

- My pacific evo cascoded version has clearly a brighter sound
- Your folded pre delivers strong and defined bass in a realistic general soundstage. Voices are more intelligible... Sound is Detailed and airy. The treble is present. It is really more open now than two days ago, surely some burning time is required.
- I tried a longer session with 47k load, and i found the sound a little bit too bright :D

Conclusion, My old preamp will have its 2sk170 used for something else :cool:
You pre is a real step beyond

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Alright, no technical problem in the build then. Rather down to aural conditioning with a brighter sound before. Maybe in the evo someone cascoded the second stage ignoring the lowering of Miller capacitance and the curve (not neutral to start with) kicked up bright. Time to hook up the DL110. A superior cart to the OM-10. On 47K you normally need a bit C2Y. Post a photo of your build sometime if you may.

Make sure that the RIAA components (R14,R5,R6,C1,C2) aren't out of 1% spec (especially C2 15nF part).........
I use 0.1 % Resistor
C2 equals 14.58 and 14.65nF
what is the tolerance of the C2 measurements?

I bought a small selection of 0.3% capacitors so that I could calibrate my Capacitor measuring instrument when I need good accuracy for capacitors.
Fingers and lead out length do make a difference.

Re. tolerance, yes it's intellectually satisfying to think that you've been able to get C1 & C2 values correct to <1% ... but my experience is that, if it's not actually that low, you can't hear it. IOW, you can't tell (by listening) whether the RIAA curve is correct to 0.1dB ... or 0.3dB.

Andy
and yet there are listening Builders that claim they hear the effects of adjustments of <0.1% in values in either, or both, of capacitors and resistors in the RIAA.

Alright, no technical problem in the build then. Rather down to aural conditioning with a brighter sound before. Maybe in the evo someone cascoded the second stage ignoring the lowering of Miller capacitance and the curve (not neutral to start with) kicked up bright. Time to hook up the DL110. A superior cart to the OM-10. On 47K you normally need a bit C2Y. Post a photo of your build sometime if you may.

of course, I can.
Don't be aware of some details :
- 30VA, 50 VA because no more 2x18v in store now
(at input, i have around 52v DC)
- R13 is only 0.6W
- AC Filter is over-dimensioned but that's what i have :p

Yes time to mount Denon cartridge and may be going for some bulk foil resistor

Attachments

• DSC09637_dia.jpg
    DSC09637_dia.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 275
  • zoom_diy.jpg
    zoom_diy.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 256
Yes you can exchange suitable Rx for the DIP Switch positions, other than the manual example values.
But can you achieve high enough volume and low enough hiss with just a two JFET input stage 63dB gain preamp? That Ortofon is 100uV output only (!)

We did not hear any hiss with 57 ohm from the Ortofon. People prefered the sound from the Denon 1000 so we will by that for the club. They will also buy my MC/Riaa. Going to buy Nuke Vishay around
300 ohm.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Denon DL-1000A 120uV (0.12mV) is a great cart although with peculiar high impedance enough coils among very low output models category. Both carts you used are notoriously quirky to match well to a preamp without special SUT. Nice that they could play sufficiently with the FSP. Quite an endorsement to be adopted by the Copenhagen Audio Club. Give my regards to the guys there.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
of course, I can.
Don't be aware of some details :
- 30VA, 50 VA because no more 2x18v in store now
(at input, i have around 52v DC)
- R13 is only 0.6W
- AC Filter is over-dimensioned but that's what i have :p

Yes time to mount Denon cartridge and may be going for some bulk foil resistor

With R_Core maybe the nice Schaffner can be spared for a digital device. Listen without it also sometime and decide. Better cable dressing is a good idea also as mentioned, although MM gain can be forgiving enough interference.