Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
A MOSFET can fail even by static but make sure that the non lit LEDs down its way are all correctly oriented and healthy by battery test without removing them first. With different color wires from a 9V you can fast check them one by one for flashing when the (-) goes to cathode side the right way.

Don't risk it. They could have copied an OK picture from anywhere. The background looks choppy. Buy just two from a UK source.

I have read another thread on this forum, where they compared 2SA970s and a couple of others, in both reel packaged and bulk, which looked quite different. One Chinese poster claimed that the fakes aren't really fakes at all, but a genuine and sophisticated attempt to recreate an out of stock fet. Another poster suggested that RS may have these "fakes" in stock too, judging by appearances. Testing for correct specs is perhaps the best test of all. Counterfeits are not just to fool us DIYers, but designed to fool large companies, even RS, Mouser and Farnell

Apparently, the best way to confirm that the fet is Toshiba is to look for an orangey grey print on the fet, zero exposed copper on the legs (should be well tinned) and shiny not dull plastic case. Testing for specs is important it seems.

Or get a bib 1.1 board from Tea if he has got any left from last GB. Carries two positives and you can break off the negative area, its all V grooved in three sections.

I used my brain and decided to use protoboard. I think I have got it figured out. Hope I have enough heatsink. They are about an inch tall...using to-247 mosfets. Got some 2n5457s off of ebay. They are bad fakes...bad printing, sanded down faces. IDSS measures way way low. Once I get some good 2n5457s I should be up and running.

Attachments

• 20141003_224215_resized-1.jpg
    20141003_224215_resized-1.jpg
    758.4 KB · Views: 312
  • 20141003_224233_resized-1.jpg
    20141003_224233_resized-1.jpg
    909.8 KB · Views: 291
  • Screen shot 2014-09-26 at 10.45.57 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-09-26 at 10.45.57 PM.png
    77.8 KB · Views: 300
I have a DIY DAC with quality 2.2uF auricaps at the outputs, and this folded phono stage design also has a 2.2uF cap at it's output.

Is there any good reason not to place a quality 2.2uF DC blocking cap at the input of the pre-amp instead of both sources, and save money on buying pricey high end DC blockers for multiple devices?

I would put the auricaps at the output of the input selectors on the preamp (unless for some reason it's a bad idea.)

I guess when you buy hifi separates that they have DC blockers at the outputs of source devices for safety, and at the inputs of amplifiers for safety, so you end up doubling up and potentially making a mess of the circuit in the form of a high pass filter or bass attenuator.

I guess when you buy hifi separates that they have DC blockers at the outputs of source devices for safety, and at the inputs of amplifiers for safety, so you end up doubling up and potentially making a mess of the circuit in the form of a high pass filter or bass attenuator.
That's why I recommend dual inputs and/or dual outputs with one of the in/outs bypassing the capacitor.

Then you can choose which capacitor gives better performance.

Your protoboard component placement.

I used my brain and decided to use protoboard. I think I have got it figured out. Hope I have enough heatsink. They are about an inch tall...using to-247 mosfets. Got some 2n5457s off of ebay. They are bad fakes...bad printing, sanded down faces. IDSS measures way way low. Once I get some good 2n5457s I should be up and running.

Hi Hikari1.

Would you mind upload a drawing of how you place the components on your protoboard?

It would be very appreciated:)

Regards

Check your 2SK117GR stash if you recently bought any. I have caught a circulating specimen that presents wrong curves (not flat but diagonal). It invariably has GR OK batch number printed on it. Its IDSS, Yfs, Vgs may appear in range and it will work (maybe will bias lower under small VDS) but surely it will not perform OK dynamically.

In general, proper 2SK117GR should have "one" digits printed like vertical featureless lines, should show a short prominent ridge along the center front when viewed from top, show a bit of copper color when viewed from the back where the pins enter the plastic. Much like 2SK170BL.

I alerted tea-bag about it and he investigated his stash. He found a number but he received those very recently and he could have sent out only about 80 pcs most likely in BIB 1.1 bags not in FSP bags. If you spot those bad apples let him know via PM. Do check the new FSP mini-kit arrivals nonetheless or whatever 117s you bought yourself from vendors especially recently.

OK, now I am worried about my 2sk117GR. I didn't get them from a group buy. Bought they from an online retailer. They appear like the one's Salas describes as fakes above...damn. I checked IDSS, it was in spec...about 4.3. But I didnt test curves. Should I use them?

What the hell is going on the world. This is crazy. I understand the motives for faking these parts but you would think that Toshiba and other big semiconductor manufacturers would be suing the crap out of guys doing these...not to mention the governments of the countries this is happening in. Crazy.

Attachments

• 20141004_134519_resized.jpg
    20141004_134519_resized.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 285
  • 20141004_134504-1_resized.jpg
    20141004_134504-1_resized.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 262
  • 20141004_134421_resized.jpg
    20141004_134421_resized.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 257
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK, now I am worried about my 2sk117GR. I didn't get them from a group buy. Bought they from an online retailer. They appear like the one's Salas describes as fakes above...damn. I checked IDSS, it was in spec...about 4.3. But I didnt test curves. Should I use them?

What the hell is going on the world. This is crazy. I understand the motives for faking these parts but you would think that Toshiba and other big semiconductor manufacturers would be suing the crap out of guys doing these...not to mention the governments of the countries this is happening in. Crazy.

They will probably work sufficiently for now but get better later. Its not clear if they are copies or just an off spec batch from some licensed foundry, one thing is sure, they aren't 100% for curves. Something like 75%.

They will probably work sufficiently for now but get better later. Its not clear if they are copies or just an off spec batch from some licensed foundry, one thing is sure, they aren't 100% for curves. Something like 75%.

Would 2sk170bl be a safer choice instead of the suspicious 2sk117gr for q2 and q5? I know my 2sk170 are good. 8.5ma IDDS.

thanks again salas.

A MOSFET can fail even by static but make sure that the non lit LEDs down its way are all correctly oriented and healthy by battery test without removing them first. With different color wires from a 9V you can fast check them one by one for flashing when the (-) goes to cathode side the right way.
Thanks to Tea B I finally got a new mosfet in there,everything light up Now:).now need some adjusting.Now my power supply voltage drop to 37 voltage at DC end when hook up and both fire up?:eek: it that normal?

lapsan