Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
One or more wrongly stuffed. If your dmm can light an led go check them one by one for polarity vs orientation or any burned by hot iron. Minus dmm probe side for lighting up ones goes to square pads. If not, its a reverse stuffing. You can use the battery and resistor you used for sorting them if the dmm can't trigger them in diode mode.

One or more wrongly stuffed. If your dmm can light an led go check them one by one for polarity vs orientation or any burned by hot iron. Minus dmm probe side for lighting up ones goes to square pads. If not, its a reverse stuffing. You can use the battery and resistor you used for sorting them if the dmm can't trigger them in diode mode.

Thanks Salas. Just checked each led the way you describe. Minus probe to square pad plus to round pad. All leds light up :confused:

If the teflon cap was not broken in, ie 400 hours of use, it will probably sound terrible at first. You may want to feed interstation noise from a tuner to it via inverse RIAA 7x24 for a few days. Just so long as it is selected on the linestage, or has a resistor across the output to gnd for a load, it will work.

А fair remark. They were once used, probably a couple of years ago... Maybe need a new break-in.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK so no CCS current. That's we know where to look. First clip with crocks another extra resistor across R1x that will guarantee its 15 Ohm or less so we will know that the CCS ability did not fall below consumption need as it is set. Are you sure that the 2x 33R make contact and its not just one 33R what the circuit "sees"?

OK so no CCS current. That's we know where to look. First clip with crocks another extra resistor across R1x that will guarantee its 15 Ohm or less so we will know that the CCS ability did not fall below consumption need as it is set. Are you sure that the 2x 33R make contact and its not just one 33R what the circuit "sees"?

I measured the resistors from the underside of the board and both of them measure 16.6-16.7 ohms. I have some 1w PRP's 10 ohms. Should i use these?

Edit: r6x is 22.3ohms

Last edited:
How's the bass now, just stronger or more detail there too? How big are the speakers and room?

The speakers are substantially modified ATC50s and the room is around 35m2.

The tonal balance with a Hovland Musicap is more natural and listenable. Subjectively, there is also more bass. Quality - wise, not so sure, but two SiO can really become way too bright and in your face. How the room or speakers relate to this i have no idea. After all i compare sources only.

Over the last few months i noticed that my analogue rig has been lagging far behind the digital one and this instigated my new interest in phono stages.

Maybe a more efficient and objective way to compare different phono stages would be by feeding them a signal out of an anti-riaa network. Then we could threat them as simple line stages.