Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Make me feel worse than I already do why don't you ;)
The left channel appears to be ok but not the right.I have the following voltages:-

LEFT RIGHT
VDC 42.7 42
G/Rail 32.9 12.8
TP1/TP2 3.7 7.4
G/TP1 7.7 7.4
G/TP2 3.9 0.0

The trimmers on the right channel no difference to the voltages.The led's are all on but the 9530 heatsink does not warm up.

Hi.
Question about the LEDs.
From my Measurements I got for almost all LEDs
1.87-1.89V. I used a 9v battery (which actually supplies around 9.3) and a 1.5k ohm resistor.
Now - with these values I can't hit the targets for the 3 or 4 LEDs array .
Is it really that matters ? I guess I have an accuracy of 2-4% instead of 1-2 %
I am building the kit for MM.
Thanks

I achieved 7.74/7.76v with 2 red and two green LEDs. I used 2SK117 (4.57mA same as in Q7) and 18.5v supply (12 AA alkaline).
3 LEDs for PSU (5.58v) was not a problem.

The phono is playing for a few days now and couldn' t be happier.
First residual noise is almost non existent and this is important in my setup, as I use high sensitivity horns. Resolution has gone up with no apparent sign of harshness. I can hear things I didn 't before, as the breathing of the musicians in some recordings.
But the biggest difference is the scale of depth, height and panoramic extension of the stereo image, from before. You can easily tell the position of an instrument in the orchestra. Strings are so silky smooth with no sign of grain. Voices also.
Bass has become tighter and more defined.
Music is more effortless and dynamic.
I attach some pictures of the whole setup as the folded simplistic has found his place back on the music system.
Salas, this an excellent effort. I have built many simplistics, but for sure I didn't expect this! Really high end sound, and maybe even more.
The only problem is that my other half not seeing me much lately, and although she is very understanding, she started to complain as I spend most of my time listening:)

EDIT something doesn' t work with attachments, will post later

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The only problem is that my other half not seeing me much lately, and although she is very understanding, she started to complain as I spend most of my time listening:)

EDIT something doesn' t work with attachments, will post later

There is a crucial difference between women and vinyl records regarding the "listening" issues George. The latter never walk away when you don't listen to them all the time.:D

As for the sonic impressions, great. Do enjoy it.:)

*Check the max sizes in the upload manager also.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi, I haven't been able to source the proposed resistors so I'm building mine with
0,6w metal foil 1% resistors. Measured them all to find the closest match between
channels. Will this affect SQ and in what way? The important parts was included in
the minikit.

Regards

If they are 100ppm or under for temperature stability spec they usually come across as more transparent than plain ones. Especially in the loading, signal path, and Vref roles.

Here are the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_2288.jpg
    IMG_2288.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_2287.jpg
    IMG_2287.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_2286.jpg
    IMG_2286.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_2289.jpg