Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas,

The boards and metal work are first rate!
May I ask why you mirror imaged the boards?
That might confuse someone like me, since they are both positive single ended supplies.

Rush

Its not confusing at all to populate them correctly in practice, don't worry, they are fully marked. If unfolding them to go nose to nose or swapping them places for one power lines route with DC inputs along a side line or a middle center line, mirroring helps.

Attachments

• Folded_Simplisctic viewer.png
    Folded_Simplisctic viewer.png
    175.7 KB · Views: 545
Salas

what about a MC/MM-version with 72/52dB gain?

For example, with a cartridge of 0.3mV you get MM-level of 6mV (MC: 26dB gain) and a total output around 1.8V - which is in levels from CD / DAC. So, a low output imnpedance is used, you can use a passive attenuator / TVC or a unity gain buffer (or a line stage and a low sensitive power amp).

I experiment here with a 60dB MM (as you expected with only one SK170 and higher Rs) and use a TVC direct into the power amp. It is quiet silent without any hiss or hum.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Salas

what about a MC/MM-version with 72/52dB gain?

For example, with a cartridge of 0.3mV you get MM-level of 6mV (MC: 26dB gain) and a total output around 1.8V - which is in levels from CD / DAC. So, a low output imnpedance is used, you can use a passive attenuator / TVC or a unity gain buffer (or a line stage and a low sensitive power amp).

I experiment here with a 60dB MM (as you expected with only one SK170 and higher Rs) and use a TVC direct into the power amp. It is quiet silent without any hiss or hum.

Hi Joao

What is the circuit you are working on with 60dB gain ?

Hi Joao
What is the circuit you are working on with 60dB gain ?

Ola Ricardo

I use a simple single ended design with transformer coupling and LCR-RIAA... works fine but it will be revised.
Last week I took it to some colleagues, I use to do this to exchange opinions and make different experience, and they felt confident - one comment: a grand entrance!

You can use this design like the NJFet from Salas as MC-version with good results as well - you can contact me by mail or phone that we can discuss more (and of course you're invited for listening).

Thanks Salas for inspiration and sorry for OT.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Olá João

Thank you so much for your invitation... As a matter of fact I am planning to visit Zurich soon and will surely contact you to arrange a meeting.

As you know, I am quite experienced with Salas design and found a very good compromise that produces really outstanding results so I am looking forward to listen to your implementation.

Hello Ricardo

received your E-Mail... and thanks for the link. I never sent them any press releases so it's nice to see it and I'm happy about :) Statement frome music lovers from LA classed them in the top list like Continuum turntables etc.

I plan to design some new turntables based on the Vega... code name La Diva and La Donna, stay tuned.