Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Have no doubts
I made the thing and it worked first time.

I am using 24 V suply rails as I was going to use bateries as suply.
And it sound good.
I am shure proper version sound even beter
I am using 4 J fets with 33R source resistor for each
did not bother with the regulator I just put the transistor bit on it.

If I managed any body can thats for shure

My latest phono build is in progress - V1.2r regs and 60db stage on the same veroboard. I'm yet to test the regs for oscillcation but I have built them as compact as I can. I will report back. And I've just ordered Teflon RIAA caps from ebay - from what I've read they are much better than other types, my current stage uses polystyrene. Can't wait to get it running!

Like many others I sold all my vinyl over 20 years ago. However, I have just bought a Technics SL-DL1 for £12.50. All I need now is some vinyl to play on it. And a phono stage of course - the reason for posting.

I have read about 50 pages of the thread and there is a lot of very useful stuff. Thanks Salas already. I'm looking for a schematic for a 2.5ma mm cartridge. It will be fed into a Hypnotize B1 buffer. There is one for a 3.5ma output in post 417 and a 24V shunt reg somewhere. Would this one be the best one to use, or has there been an update which I haven't found yet?

thank you

A Bit of progress on my side.
Maybe it shuld be on reflector tread ...
But the 2 go hand in hand so nicely

I just had same IRF640 and replaced the IRF610 on the reflectors.

Much much beter now much more stable.

I have also taken of the 1u MKS and changed them with same EVOX .68U they are a bit big so soldered on the botom of the board
Big difference there if you trow money at it start here
The sound stage is much more solid a bit brighter Hi frequency maybe.
A uge improvment.

I am now going to build the proper one but before I do that I will listen to a few traks while I write what is on post 7143 100 times .

I had same trubles whit the power suply before the Reflektors but got oround that with sometink I have seen on another tread.

I have fitted a common mode coke at the output of the 317 Regulator board.
Not ideal to start with a poor power suply but maybe it could help

Attachments

• Reflector2901 001.jpg
    Reflector2901 001.jpg
    640.8 KB · Views: 249
  • Reflector2901 002.jpg
    Reflector2901 002.jpg
    1,010.3 KB · Views: 238
  • Reflector2901 003.jpg
    Reflector2901 003.jpg
    841.8 KB · Views: 228
  • Reflector2901 004.jpg
    Reflector2901 004.jpg
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 229
Joined 2009
Paid Member
My latest phono build is in progress - V1.2r regs and 60db stage on the same veroboard. I'm yet to test the regs for oscillcation but I have built them as compact as I can. I will report back. And I've just ordered Teflon RIAA caps from ebay - from what I've read they are much better than other types, my current stage uses polystyrene. Can't wait to get it running!

Polysterenes are also very good, RIAA caps important thing is tolerance & accuracy as stated by RCruz. If yours styrenes are 1% surely sounds better than teflons 5% or more tolerance.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Like many others I sold all my vinyl over 20 years ago. However, I have just bought a Technics SL-DL1 for £12.50. All I need now is some vinyl to play on it. And a phono stage of course - the reason for posting.

I have read about 50 pages of the thread and there is a lot of very useful stuff. Thanks Salas already. I'm looking for a schematic for a 2.5ma mm cartridge. It will be fed into a Hypnotize B1 buffer. There is one for a 3.5ma output in post 417 and a 24V shunt reg somewhere. Would this one be the best one to use, or has there been an update which I haven't found yet?

thank you

You need to buy a batch of SK1760BL and measure Idss and post here the results so Salas will let you know wich Idss use and exact schematic for your 2.5mV not ma MM cart.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I'm going to get some more jfets so that I can build the circuit above for 41dB gainwith 8 -9mA IDSS. Thanks for your help.

For the PSU the one in post 1265 looks good.

Great stuff here.

I recommend you build the PDF's HiMC circuit with your already having 8pcs 7.5mA JFETS, and the 28V shunt reg from the PDF also. Those are better circuits in some areas than those you have in mind, and work fine together. Just my 2C.

@chalkandtalk
I will follows Salas advice.:)

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi Everyone,

I have a .27mV cartridge (Denon 103R). My current phono pre (Vincent PHO-111)requires .29mV or .30 mV. Must turn up the preamp past 1 or 2 o'clock position to get good output from vinyl. Yet, still it sounds a bit thin.

Can you recommend a version of this phono preamp that will work with a .27mV cart output?
I thought the one on page #11 might be it, but don't know if there have been any changes to the design since then.

Also, what is a shunt power supply? Is it a must with the Salas phono pre?

Thanks,

Vince

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is an evolution link you can find in post#1. Leads to a PDF instructions paper that has all you need. Make the HiMC and pre-pre from there, those will give you 63dB gain together (Vincent seems like 53dB). Also make the regulator. That is a parallel style (shunt) Mosfet regulator recommended and developed for this phono to full tone standards.