Simplistic NJFET RIAA

BTW:

One thing is clear in comparison DL103R and ACE SL:

The conical needle tip from the DL103R has less problems with dust and scratches than the Gyger-S tip on the ACE.

I hear with the ACE SL some small klicks on tracks the DL103R played without any klick.

In the meantime, I got a second SME headshell.

But I have to mount the DL103R for comparison with the ACE in a way, the needle will sit at the exactly same point as I cannot adjust the tonearm geometry when changing headshells.

And it does not fit, when I use screws.

The only way: I will glue (sorry) the DL103R to the headshell...

More soon. Should I open a separate thread for this comparison or am I welcome with this topic here?

Franz

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
More soon. Should I open a separate thread for this comparison or am I welcome with this topic here?

Franz

Always welcome because those are carts people many times own or contemplate here, and you are listening through this thread's phono anyway. Use 220R loading also for 103R when comparing, I have found more DCR on my sample and SG found also in his. The real compliance I found 15cu.

Salas

What would you change in "my" circuit to reduce to 58dB gain for the Benz ACE SL?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I just listened to an LP I know very good, and maybe, I should reduce K2 for my taste a little bit, as you mentioned before.

Regards
Franz
The B+ here is a lot higher than I would normal use. For my versions of this cct. I use 27 to 36V. I did find with my BoZ builds that the preamp sounded better with 27V and not 36. I do believe FETs like high voltages to run linear but I have found my jFET units sound batter at the 27V mark.

I did the first comparison Benz ACE SL vs. Denon DL103R.

Loaded with 150 Ohm; gain 60dB.

As I cannot switch between both cartdridges and have to readjust the weight and anti skating, a comparison is not easy.

My first impression (Nina Simone My Baby Just Cares For Me 45rmp):

The Benz is less coloured, maybe as neutral as possible. The details are impressing, also the bass.

But I miss a little bit the voice from Miss Simone. Are the mids a little bit weak?

Not sure yet.

I will compare soon Fairground Attraction The First of a Million Kisses.

One example of the music style:

YouTube - Fairground Attraction - Perfect

I own the LP and from the same master recording the FLAC Files on my musicserver (DAC Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0).

So I can compare first the BENZ to the musicserver and afterwards the Denon.

Yesterday I've built a dustcover for the TD126.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Franz

Last edited: