Paid Member
Just don't overdo it with room treatments!:D

Attachments

• ACH.gif
    ACH.gif
    100.4 KB · Views: 337
Joined 2006
Paid Member
What does the output noise measure with the gain set to zero and at maximum? Use an ordinary DMM set to 200.0mVac for reference to what most DIYers have available.

Hi Andrew

This might be a simple way to measure a system noise.

I would like to do the same measurements but am not sure about the proceedings.

What do you mean by "gain set to zero" ?

I have an old Meridian 101 setup that is totally silent at full volume but I measure circa 140mV Dc in the output (loaded with the speakers).... can I set the DMM to AcV and rely on the measurements ?

Ricardo

Ok Salas, here are some pictures of the room.
I was planing this for some years, but had not the funds to do it.
Also, right before the entrance is my small electronic workshop!
SGregory, I didn't discuss this much with my wife! When she understood what I was doing, she was jealous and coming up with ideas too, but it was very late then! Now she is just complaining that I spend a lot of time there...

Attachments

• IMG_0935.JPG
    IMG_0935.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_0936.JPG
    IMG_0936.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_0937.JPG
    IMG_0937.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 295
gain set to zero = volume control at zero output, equivalent to infinite attenuation.

I don't measure output offset with speakers connected.
What is output offset with open output and shorted input?
What is output offset with open output and source connected with gain set to zero?
Does the output offset change with temperature and/or with volume setting?

Connect the speaker. Does the output offset change from any of the previous measurements?

I use an ordinary handheld DMM set to 200.0mVdc and set to 200.0mVac to check the output of the system.
I can often get <0.1mVac and <1mVdc at the output. That is low noise and low offset.
However, the bandwidth of the DVM is not known and it does not have a deliberate noise shaping filter. So I know my measurements are very approximate. They do allow comparisons to be made.
When I connect the source with zero gain setting I expect nothing to change.
When I turn up the gain, I expect a source to send some noise through the system.
With a low gain system and a quiet source I would not expect much deterioration in the noise measurement. I would not expect any audible noise at the 88dB/W @ 1m speakers. I might get a bit of hiss with 93dB/W @ 1m speakers. I don't know what to expect with 105dB/W @ 1m speakers.

I do know that with that high sensitivity that I would set my self gain and noise standards that are way above what is acceptable for 88dB speakers.

I do have a Bench DMM that is rms calibrated up to a quite high bandwidth, but I don't yet have a set of suitable filters for audio noise measurement. I have been following the LNA threads with the intention of getting this part finalised.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
SGregory, I didn't discuss this much with my wife! When she understood what I was doing, she was jealous and coming up with ideas too, but it was very late then! Now she is just complaining that I spend a lot of time there...

Nice for listening. Spacious enough too. You will find ways to optimise its reverberation sooner or later, the main thing is you started it. :up:

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks for the advise Andrew. I will the next few days, as I suspect the grounding on the DCB1.
But is strange to have a lower reading with a tube DHT pre and have audibly more hiss.

Its my hunch you mainly measure hum than wide band noise with the DVM. Most have a small low frequency bandwidth. To really see, it takes FFT. But its good to minimize what you can now see anyway.

For sure I will minimise it. I think I know wht' s wrong. After the holidays.
But now a little bit tired and want to listen some music. Building too much the last few days! I think I' m done for this year!

Also RIAA is stable, voltages remained the same for more than 24h always on.
For the room I need to do something to the back and to the sides. We 'll see.

Joined 2009
Paid Member

Nice room:)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
gain set to zero = volume control at zero output, equivalent to infinite attenuation.

I don't measure output offset with speakers connected.
What is output offset with open output and shorted input?
What is output offset with open output and source connected with gain set to zero?
Does the output offset change with temperature and/or with volume setting?

Connect the speaker. Does the output offset change from any of the previous measurements?

I use an ordinary handheld DMM set to 200.0mVdc and set to 200.0mVac to check the output of the system.
I can often get <0.1mVac and <1mVdc at the output. That is low noise and low offset.
However, the bandwidth of the DVM is not known and it does not have a deliberate noise shaping filter. So I know my measurements are very approximate. They do allow comparisons to be made.
When I connect the source with zero gain setting I expect nothing to change.
When I turn up the gain, I expect a source to send some noise through the system.
With a low gain system and a quiet source I would not expect much deterioration in the noise measurement. I would not expect any audible noise at the 88dB/W @ 1m speakers. I might get a bit of hiss with 93dB/W @ 1m speakers. I don't know what to expect with 105dB/W @ 1m speakers.

I do know that with that high sensitivity that I would set my self gain and noise standards that are way above what is acceptable for 88dB speakers.

I do have a Bench DMM that is rms calibrated up to a quite high bandwidth, but I don't yet have a set of suitable filters for audio noise measurement. I have been following the LNA threads with the intention of getting this part finalised.

Thank you so much Andrew

I will do the measurements as you suggest and report back.

Ricardo