Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, plan Tx down, boards on their side. I am looking to get the 2X21 120VA and series the secondaries, or just use the outer taps if they are actually V-0-V configured. I will possibly need 50V reg out.

120 is not significantly more expensive Ricardo, but from their photos VS their pdf maybe you are in 50% risk of them being V-0-V and not V+V for using double bridges ''OR'' that you do. You should email them about what stands true of their current stock.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I meant usin two 80va so to get real double mono setup versus one 120va where the two bridges should be connected in parallel... this setup (my initial one) needs special care in the gnd connections (both smoothers must be connected together before going to star gnd)...

Meanwhile I will e-mail the supplier. (Je peux ecrire en Français aussi !)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I just e-mailed them.

Nevertheless the picture shows four wires in the secondary so probably I will get lucky.

I believe I will need a big case this time so I can put two TX inside to benefit from true double mono.... or do you believe sharing the same winding is as good ?

Ricardo

I have own two citroen CX in the past ...steering wheel with Hydro Guide:hypno2:

R-core have two separate secondary and one primary work fine :) no hum/buzz, C° like dead

Attachments

• r-core.jpg
    r-core.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If there is some field it reduces affecting the boards if at right angles. But if the cancellation in those transformers is near perfect in the actual product, then by a simple rotation test you can determine if so good that they can lay in the same plane or not without any rudimentary buzz penalty.

Hello Ricardo,
some news from the "Vinyl" show in Portugal?

Hello Salas,
what about using following RIAA amp design:

1st stage > discrete op-amp with variable gain, i.e. from 20 to 40db, with an transformer coupled, single ended, output stage of 600 Ohm

following into an LCR-RIAA

2nd stage > same as 1st. stage

Or whaz's your opinion to use an LCR-RIAA in your design instead of the RC-RIAA?

Regards
Joao

I would not do that in a simple and relatively cheap to make concept like this one. The quality of core and value precision needed for LCR plus the anti hum measures that are going to come up are putting me off.

Salas I agree. It was just some idea out of topic.

An op-amp is complicated to handle getting it stable... maybe this is the point because it's preferable to use a simple - single ended -cascoded stage. You can do this with RC coupling / resistive load or with a transformer.

I like to experiment with the second version. Any idea? I think we can do this with PM first :)