Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

Felipe I am very upset on the idea of compromising the sound.
SSHV2 regulator in my aplication I confirm the great impact on that has on sound quality.
As stated by Mr. Rullit themselve, the psu related to any Field Coil driver is as important as the power amplifier, and must be treated with same care.
I am done at adjusting the last stage of SSHV2.
I never thought how much easy to listen the differences at picking the right values and brands on capacitors.
As C1 (0.33uf) I was astounded the improvment that bring upgrade to teflon capacitor.
And on C2 (10uF) I need to place another 10 uF in parallel, to complete the same value 20uF as proved to be also ideal on the PSU (CLC). Great benefit was further obtained bypassing C2 by a 10nF teflon.

All that experience leads me to convince that the first section on SSHV2, the cascode CCS itself, also must be carefully picked for a good performance.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Felipe I am very upset on the idea of compromising the sound.
SSHV2 regulator in my aplication I confirm the great impact on that has on sound quality.
As stated by Mr. Rullit themselve, the psu related to any Field Coil driver is as important as the power amplifier, and must be treated with same care.
I am done at adjusting the last stage of SSHV2.
I never thought how much easy to listen the differences at picking the right values and brands on capacitors.
As C1 (0.33uf) I was astounded the improvment that bring upgrade to teflon capacitor.
And on C2 (10uF) I need to place another 10 uF in parallel, to complete the same value 20uF as proved to be also ideal on the PSU (CLC). Great benefit was further obtained bypassing C2 by a 10nF teflon.

All that experience leads me to convince that the first section on SSHV2, the cascode CCS itself, also must be carefully picked for a good performance.

Jordi, this regulator isn't designed for your field coil PSU needs, so we are looking for how can help you, all is enginering and compromise, Bela showed a couple or more times to parallel devices but you never agree pointing that you only want 2 devices as CCS cascode, I'm giving chances offering mine limited experience (Salas said an agree better no cascode & only single device than using LM317), it seems if you don't parallel devices you can enjoy the nice high voltage shunt voltage regulator that Salas give to our community.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Felipe, paralleled IXTP01 == one IXTP02 (I haven't working IXTP02 model, so used paralleled IXTP01).

With 800mA IXTP08 also working the CCS.
BSP149, IXTP08 cCCS 170mA.jpg

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have mine own answer, CCS is gone.....
Well guys, I explain the story. Due to the very good results grounding the 6V6 I revisited the Valve Itch and the grounding was bad as I suspected & changed according the work done at 6V6 preamp, of course I measured voltages to be sure all is OK & what was my surprise that the SSHV2 doesn't have the required 45mA to power the Valve Itch, first work was to connect both F+ & F0 together and fired it up with a 9V battery to check it and both N Depletion Mosfet of CCS were gone, changed for one IXTP 01N100D as upper device & one DN2540 as lower device, with trimmer got near 100mA so connected to Valve Itch but only reach max. 22.7mA & needs 45mA!!!