Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Set the SSHV2 for 50mA CCS and configure at the output connector two wire mode* as it will be a common reg between two channels the Kelvin mode would not help much anyway. CLC and SS bridge are fine. Use 0.1uF to 1uF decoupling film cap across the regulator's input connector if there will be significant wiring length coming from the CLC. Good luck and let us know.

*What is two wire mode

Hi Salas, after weeks of using the regulator without any stability problem, this evening the output voltage just started to fluctuate. Now it has aground 10 V peak to peak fluctuation at the output, the output is set at 270V. I have checked the FET and PNP transistors and they all seem ok.
CCS is working fine (I can very the constant current from the pot). Diode D3 is ok also.

Can it be the IRF840?
Is it ok that I have a common heat sink for both DN2540 and IRF840? Does it go into thermal disequilibrium?
Silviu

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It can be the 840 if it was working under much heat. About common sink if the MOSFETS are well insulated and the heat is not excessive it should be alright. I mean if it is a build's basic configuration problem and not a part's failure it wouldn't work well for weeks in the first place.

I checked it and it’s ok. One thing that I forgot to mention... I don’t have any thermal paste in there. That might help a lot to reach thermal runaway. I’ll try to find some paste today in the computer shops around Dublin.

Thank you Salas for your wonderful design and fast replies

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Salas it's ok that measurement of 38mVAC after the SSHV2 using RMS meter?

Attachments

• WP_20180922_002[1].jpg
    WP_20180922_002[1].jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 235