Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its a balancing act because you have small sinks and a Vin that sags with increasing CCS. I would say, determine a Vout B+ target first. Simulate your load consumption with proper dummy. Then set R1 and Vout (trimmer) until you get 1.Target B+ 2.Target CCS. 3.Vin remains equal or more than (Vout+15V).

Hello
I have come across your pages because I am looking for a shunt reg for my tube power amp. I have already tried a CCS to see what was going on. It seems that a CCS blocks the mains dirt, and since then it was able to listen the whole day, not just during the night. Of course the shunt is missing, so output transformer, driver transformer and CCS are fighting against each other.
I have gone nearly through all the pages and I am impressed to notice how nice people are, there has not been a bad word.
I think about the pnp transistor, because I need at least 360V, and I would feel uneasy pushing a 375V transistor nearly to its limit. I have found a Fairchild Darlington, FJPF9020TU, it can stand 15W, and 550V up to 7mA. It is an end of life product, but there are still more than 400 available at Mouser.
Last I would like to thank Salas to be such a creative genius and for his endless patience.

Andre

Attachments

• FJPF9020.pdf
    67.4 KB · Views: 96
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You would need the #967 circuit. Has an HV PNP that drives a 500V NMOSFET. It uses low current defined by the MOSFET's VGS/BJT's collector load resistor. An MJE5731A should hold well since MJE350 has been reported to hold at 330V in an example. I would be careful with the Darlington not to ring in that position, because it has to modify the OLG and PM of the circuit probably. Also the steep hfe curves are not inspiring for mA region linearity. If it will work, its higher Vbe is welcome for stabilizing even better the K170 Jfet as CCS that is nesting in it.

Hi Salas
I see darlingtons could be troublesome. Ringing seems to be the main problem with this shunt, even if I think that it is not intrinsic in this circuit.
I have also the idea to move the FET to the negative side. This way the transistor could be a npn, and the following a p-ch Mosfet.
Personally I am going through all the options theoretically in the first place, because when I am working on the amp I have to be very careful, this one starts with 750V, but the tubes are stacked, there is one ccs for both on the negative side, then one shunt for the driver, about 200V, another one for the output tube, from 360V- 400V. I think nobody has done this before, but I don't want to remove the ccs any more, so I have to go the full monty.
Thank you
Andre

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The #967 has 90deg phase margin. In shunt the problems start when the load becomes inductive. You could try cascoding MJE350s since NMOS HV is easier to get is another option. It shortens PM by 10deg only theoretically. I use NPN drive & PMOS output in the LV circuits, its certainly feasible if you have PMOS with enough Vmax for your application. See it has as much transconductance as the IRF840 at least, else the Zo is going to rise. Good luck.

Attachments

• SSHVcasc.gif
    SSHVcasc.gif
    7 KB · Views: 464
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
@salas,

what is your take on connecting a zener in series with the collector of the MJE350 to address Vceo issues when output voltage is greater than 300 volts?

Haven't done it. I would be considered with its noise issue its a first thought. Then, wait a min, has to nest in Vgs... No go. Cascode has been done before by one member from Italy with TO-92s in the original BJTs Vref SHV schematic after we tried for more Vceo and less heat in an application if I recall correctly.

Are there Zeners installed? Especially a single bigger one? If yes,take it out. Is there enough consumption, load connected? Is the load something new that you haven't had before?

Hi!
If V-in more 320Vto 380V, so you change R =56K/5W by 82K/5W,
And If you like v-out more 280V to 320V,
you have to change R4=120k by 150K-180K, K170 is safe!

Modified the regulatore as you said for 300V +HT 6CG7+12BH7 added teflon shunt capacitors... my aikido now is simply awesome now!!!

Thanks salas, your regulator is really great!!
Thanks quan!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

If the load does not consume current for a while, then almost the total available from the CCS part it is consumed in the output Mosfet of the reg itself. As long as its sink can support that for a minute, nothing bad will happen to the reg. If its really only a for a sec, no worries.

P.S. Let us know how it went.

Ok - finished the whole Exstata amp a week ago, and its still breaking in.

The dual PS 300-0-300 works fine, and very stable.
The negative rail is using Salas Schematic in post 1118
I used irf630 for Q1 (because they actually were cheaper, than the poorer wattage speced 610)

I messed up quite a few mosfets, because i had to do a very compact p2p design :eek: , but now it works, and it is very stabile :) I cant judge about the performance though, as i have no comparison.

I also had to use a 92mm fan, because there was no room for propor heatsinks.