Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

quanghao, it's very time consuming to check the layout manually. Get the schematic right, then use the layout<->schematic synchronization feature of your layout software.

Yes, i lost alot of many times:
Fist: i draw layout in Adoble inlustrator
secon: I use Protel draw again layout! and check!
You se in my laout is wrong or right??? can you help me??
An I want information about the circuit,:
1. filter of Q3 IRF 840???

2. impedance out put???

Nowaday, I make 5 board, for my pre!
If you like this board I will sent one board to you, one gift for you???
Thank!

Hello Salas,
I've made my first simplicistic regulator and It seems work very good!
I've fitted in my diy CDP as PSU of a the 6C45 output stage.
Now I want to make a 12B4 preamp but I've a question:
I've not found 2N6520 but only MPSA92. How much is the maximum output voltage with MPSA92? What I can use instead of 2N6520?
Actually my regulator, calibrate at about 240 volts on the start arrive at about 310 v of peak. On the 12B4 preamp I must calibrate at 330V.
Ciao
Guglielmo

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Try MPSA94 if you can find. That is 400V PNP. MPSA92 is 300V PNP. All those must be sinked with TO-92 minisinks if running it about near 300V or more. Because they become heat sensitive and show erratic behavior. MJE350 is better for taking the heat, and can be sinked easier since it has a more proper packaging type, its limit is 300V though. Also if you want it to behave better around 300V settings, you can use 220k R3, R8 2W and 150R R5 so the BC560 does not have to pass much current to the Vref resistor and its base current is not getting too much. Holding a lot high at startup, has to do with C1 charged. You may try 0.47uF there, but this is something I haven't had to do, so I don't really know, its a test proposition. What do you mean, works very good? Good for noise? What you had before there?

I' m almost ready to build the regulators, have all parts and waiting for disco's design PCBs on Friday.
For C2 and C3 i have some 1μF/400V Wima MKP4 and MKP10.
Do you have any suggestions which one to use?

In your opinion is there any reason to use more power supply decoupling capacitors on the preamp board?

Thank you

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thank you for your recommendations Salas. I hope to build it during weekend.

Not build yet..... my idea is to test it with an SRPP phono stage.

Good luck to both of you. Comments, photos, questions, silly subjective bubbletalk, pranks and comedy are always welcome as you know by now.:D
Only don't take what you hear too seriously OK?:spin:

Comments, photos, questions, silly subjective bubbletalk, pranks and comedy are always welcome as you know by now.:D
Only don't take what you hear too seriously OK?:spin:

Well, to boldly go etc... I'm set for take off tomorrow.
Stereo 2A3 amplifier on 300V, 50mA per channel and 23mA sunk.
It maybe doesn't sound wild but 14W of extra heat is a lot.

Photos and report are expected tomorrow, if I don't get lost in space :)

I put the cap (10uF) because I've 30cm of wire between regulator and the output stage.

From what I have learnt being part of this thread with my silly subjective bubble talk there should be no capacity after the regulator but small B+ decoupling caps (0.47uF) right at the "consumer side".
Make shure to twist that 30cms of wire (make a nice rope of it :D) and you shouldn't have problems... I cured some oscillations I had in my reg that way.

My preamp plays better than ever. It has less noise (still has some hum though), better dynamics, better soundstaging and the sound has a better "flow" to it. If I where to critisize the bass may be a bit thinner but though a lot more precise. The new reg replaced a tube-based reg where I used the 6N1P tube in the pic.

Attachments

• L1020809.JPG
    L1020809.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 594