Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

Metal backing to inside of pcb putting source at ground.

Am i right that no voltage is found across outputs because the current is not finding ant impedance that would cause Vdrop. I have larger than 500R pot. Could that be causing problem?

I have it set to read 500r across pot.

Last edited:
It was the 840. Apparently it too was fried in the original smoking. For all who smoke this thimg, zi ended up burning thr pre filter resistor, the two ccs fets, q1 gate resistor, and 840. I think vref section was ok and probably protected by 840 that got fried. My guess was right about the 840 acting asopen circuit, passing all current rather than acting as voltagr controlled resistor as it should. Thats also why there was a small voltage at outputs and across fet and LED. The Vref section was getting current, but the 840 was keeping it from getting enough to function and ultimately control current through 840. Circle of life! Ended up with max Vrop across 5k test load of 199V, which works out to about 40mA. I assume final adjustment will take place when hooked up to tubes. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Lets talk theory of operation perhaps understanding better will help me solve it.could you explain functioning of the entire Vref area including bjts and jfet.
The best sense I have read in a long time.

You can build the CCS section alone and test it.
You can then add on the shunt regulator and short the output to test the combined assembly.
Remove the short to test the Shunt.
Add a load to further test the shunt.

At all these intermediate stage be very careful to only apply sufficient input voltage to test the section that has been added. eg ~30V will test the CCS alone.
The same 30V will test the CCS+Shunt with the output shorted.
etc.

Last edited:
The best sense I have read in a long time.

You can build the CCS section alone and test it.
You can then add on the shunt regulator and short the output to test the combined assembly.
Remove the short to test the Shunt.
Add a load to further test the shunt.

At all these intermediate stage be very careful to only apply sufficient input voltage to test the section that has been added. eg ~30V will test the CCS alone.
The same 30V will test the CCS+Shunt with the output shorted.
etc.

It sometimes hard to do in the middle of a build. You just want to get it done and listen.

sshv and srpp

Hello
Please ,can someone tell me if only one SSHV regulator can be connected to SRPP configured circuits of both channels ,without sonic degradation or each channel must be connected on dedicated SSHV regulator ,one Salas for left and one for right.Until now I have built dedicated regulator for each SRPP channel and didn't try single regulator for both channels.Anode followers are working great on single regulator but I have no experience in supplying both channels in SRPP configuration.Maybe such question is already answered on the forum but I can not find it.

Thanks

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello
Please ,can someone tell me if only one SSHV regulator can be connected to SRPP configured circuits of both channels ,without sonic degradation or each channel must be connected on dedicated SSHV regulator ,one Salas for left and one for right.Until now I have built dedicated regulator for each SRPP channel and didn't try single regulator for both channels.Anode followers are working great on single regulator but I have no experience in supplying both channels in SRPP configuration.Maybe such question is already answered on the forum but I can not find it.

Thanks

There is nothing special to SRPP. You make one regulator and you just try. In general we can't predict anything without any special info on each application, and we guarantee nothing.