Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

I plan to have trafo in another box with rectifiers only and will carry earth ground, signal ground and postive rail to main case, where the case will grounded through earth wire. What about ground loop breaker for signal ground. I use CL60 in Pass amps. What is traditionally done in tube amps? THanks for the advice and looking out.

Still if something leaks to chassis and to safety earth, a breaker should trip, yes?
no.

earth leakage detection (elcb, rccb, etc) work by comparing the Live current to the Neutral current. If they don't balance within the detection/trigger limit, the breaker opens.

You have a perfectly good primary circuit that does not leak to earth and kill your self with the secondary circuit (they are isolated from each other) and the earth leakage will not change.

Last edited:
This is an excellent precaution while you are building & testing. I have some 600V gloves that came with my first kit valve amplifier.

But, when built and operational, I do not advise that any part of the HV be brought to the outside of the chassis. That is asking for an accident to happen.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sure, beyond any humorous note, all HV carrying parts should be well out of reach, well isolated, and wearing protection or keeping one hand to back pocket when tampering or testing are very good precautions.

P.S. Also bleeder resistor across main filter capacitor, discharges it when off, soon and low enough. I always use one.

Andrew,
How would you suggest grounding a setup where you have a seperated case with transformers and rectifiers atached to the main case by umbilical chord. As I said, with the my modular BA stuff, I have earth ground going into main case as well as PSU case. A thermistor stands between this earth connection and signal ground. If connecting signal ground to earth ground, want ground loop noise be a problem? I am trying to be as safe as possible without creating other problems.

I would not pass HV down an umbilical, unless it were an armoured cable fixed at both ends.
I am resistant to passing LV down an umbilical where one end is connected to mains power.

There have been long threads discussing remote PSUs.

I have seen one thread you have been a part of. Why are sperate PSU's so popular if it is such a bad idea. The connectors would be powercon and the cable fully shielded. It works great on my Pass gear.

AndrewT:

I agree, I once worked for a video projector manufacturer who had this great idea to make a
video projector with a remote head assembly.You can imagine the problems they had trying to
get the 15 to 100khz sweep at 1000V, 5A peak, HV +35KV@1ma + the one volt (50 ohm) video signal X3 in a 20
ft snake.We could do it, but the snake cost more than the vidio projector.(late 1990's)

Notice: you don't see any.

Last edited:
no.

earth leakage detection (elcb, rccb, etc) work by comparing the Live current to the Neutral current. If they don't balance within the detection/trigger limit, the breaker opens.

You have a perfectly good primary circuit that does not leak to earth and kill your self with the secondary circuit (they are isolated from each other) and the earth leakage will not change.

I can't imagine a B+ transformer or OPT where the secondary isn't connected to earth in a tube circuit, so I don't think the we can say the primary is isolated from the secondary?