Simplest class D amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Build the amp according to this schematic Speaker Amplifier and Modulator - Mid/High-Power Amplifier - TPA3116D2 - TI.com
Read the tpa3118d2 thread for the BOM.

im not shore what schematic you wanted me to build the amp with but im guessing its the one in the user guide but I cant read any of the components in the schematic they are to blurry and hard to make out I can only just make out the GND's on the schematic is there a clearer image somewhere or am I looking at the rong schematic

Fun at every level...

There's fun at every level of this hobby, so don't be dissuaded if you want to tackle the project at a higher level than just a PCB. If you want to get your feet wet first, before going after the component level kit, then look no farther than a couple of these LJM modules. They are relatively small, popular, can be used with either a linear, or SMPS PSU, and to my ears sound great. There are several threads on these in the class D forum. Search for LJM IRS2092.

I have built 1, 2-channel amp using these modules and haven't looked back. A second amp is in the works using the same modules. They are very musical and make $60 sound pretty sweet. They can be operated across a wide voltages +-60-80VDC, so you have lots of flexibility with PSU requirements and corresponding watt/channel output. For now, it's my stereo amp of choice for simple listening using a pair of inexpensive bookshelf speakers. Pictures of my build can be found in this post.

I'm very happy with these modules and they're very easy to work with if it's your first class D exposure. I think you'll be surprised at just how good they can sound - provided the source is good.

Have fun! :)

Rick

The UcD180HG or even the UcD180ST from Hypex is way better value for money than any of the IRS2092 crap out there.

And if you want/need more power than 180 watts, there is the UcD400, UcD700 and even the UcD2k to fullfill your high quality audio needs.

If all you need is 50 watts a channel and only want to hook up some mains, a audio signal and a set of speakers, look no further than the Abletec ALC0100-2300 module on profusionplc.com

I bought one of these modules and it is top quality, sounds great and takes up less space than same power separate modules and psu would. You wont find better value for money than this.

The DAD and DAP packages differ from their heatsink. The DAD package has a TOP heatsink, while the DAP has a bottom heatsink.
BTW, you can never get 50W from 18Vin, even 36W is impossible. Despite P=U*U/R, and you got a 40.5W power, but remember, we are talking about sinusoidal signal, such as sin or cosine wave, they have sqrt(2) peak amplitude as their RMS amplitude, which means 18V Vpeak is 18/1.414V Vrms, which is approx. 12.73V. To reserve some headroom for the amplifier chip, to reduce clipping distortion, you may have only 10.5V rms voltage, which generates a maximum power of 13.8W on a 8 Ohms load, and the output filter and cable must be lossless. Therefore, you can only expect 12W from the amplifier. To further reduce THD, you may only get several watts of power ultimately.
Therefore, I suggest you using either a lower impedance speaker, or a boost converter. However, a low impedance speaker is not feasible either due to the IC can source max. 7.5A peak, which is 5.3A rms.
To build a boost converter with sufficient power, you can take some time on Analog, Embedded Processing, Semiconductor Company, Texas Instruments - TI.com or Linear Technology - Home Page. Looking for external power mosfet boost converter, or boost converter controller, and wire them up exactly following their datasheet.
Good luck.

Hi Tekko - I've been following and reading about the Hypex. My next project may be centered around a couple of their modules. They seem to be priced on the higher side of DIY, but certainly not outside the realm of possibility. :) The NC400 seem to be top-of-the-line. At $430USD that's a significant investment. I'm happy with my 2092 based modules for now, but I'm sure there's room for improvement. But my next project is on hold, due to the move of the family to a new state, new job and new home. The excitement of living! - Rick

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
im not shore what schematic you wanted me to build the amp with but im guessing its the one in the user guide but I cant read any of the components in the schematic they are to blurry and hard to make out I can only just make out the GND's on the schematic is there a clearer image somewhere or am I looking at the rong schematic

fig 27 top. http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa3116d2.pdf

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
please do NOT waste your time with pre filter feedback class d! Its not worth the time and effort.

Post filter feedback self oscillating has much higher performance and sound quality than pre filter feedback and clocked.

That is a pretty strong opinion for the types of amps you like to build. If you are looking for a single ic solution at 30 watts I think the sound from 3116d2 is very good and certainly not a waste of time.

The DAD and DAP packages differ from their heatsink. The DAD package has a TOP heatsink, while the DAP has a bottom heatsink.
BTW, you can never get 50W from 18Vin, even 36W is impossible. Despite P=U*U/R, and you got a 40.5W power, but remember, we are talking about sinusoidal signal, such as sin or cosine wave, they have sqrt(2) peak amplitude as their RMS amplitude, which means 18V Vpeak is 18/1.414V Vrms, which is approx. 12.73V. To reserve some headroom for the amplifier chip, to reduce clipping distortion, you may have only 10.5V rms voltage, which generates a maximum power of 13.8W on a 8 Ohms load, and the output filter and cable must be lossless. Therefore, you can only expect 12W from the amplifier. To further reduce THD, you may only get several watts of power ultimately.
Therefore, I suggest you using either a lower impedance speaker, or a boost converter. However, a low impedance speaker is not feasible either due to the IC can source max. 7.5A peak, which is 5.3A rms.
To build a boost converter with sufficient power, you can take some time on Analog, Embedded Processing, Semiconductor Company, Texas Instruments - TI.com or Linear Technology - Home Page. Looking for external power mosfet boost converter, or boost converter controller, and wire them up exactly following their datasheet.
Good luck.

on the datasheet this chip can handle from 6v to 26v
the 9v and 18v is what I have access to without building anything extra
but if I put 2 12v car batteries in series I would get realistically about
24-27vdc and that should be about 50w per channel
is that right?
0r I could figure out how to build a dc/dc step up converter and figure out something that can detect and adjust itself automatically relative to how many volts there are and converts it to 25.99v

to everyone else I think for the moment I will stick with the TPA3116D2 class d amp for now, latter on I might try a different chip amp or maybe one without a chip and from scratch
or I will epically fail and move to a class A transistor amp and try my luck
Not sure if you are interested in an eval board since it's not a kit and more expensive, but here is the TI evaluation board for the TPA3116D2 - read to rock. Digikey has them in stock for $152USD.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.