Simple Symetrical Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not the right place to explainaudible effects of harmonic distortions.
Nothing real after 100Khz, only FFT calculation artifacts. Absolutely normal.
No distortion you can hear after 20Kz neither.
Make a measurement at low frequency if you want to know high order harmonics inside the audible bandwidth.
And do not forget, it is just simulation, not real world.
Now, you decide if the level of distortion you can read up to 20Kz meet your goals.
But 0.02% is a good value for a power amp.

Look at the first file: Signal is at +20dB, H2 at -55dB.this give 75dB =<0.02% of H2 distortion.

As Paulo said "so it is not a concern?". That's how it sounded like.

Many of us don't have a problem with H2. But with such graph the total HD will be not as good.

I don't have access to LTSpice (and my computer) for a few months now. But the graph seemed to show lack of bias.

I'm not saying that the graph is bad. What I'm saying is that I'm familiar with the amp simulation and what I have seen is better than 75dB. Actually, 75dB is below my standard.

I have been biasing latfet around 120mA-150mA. So may be this one is less?

I've been listening all day long to beautifull music with my SSA. The female voices are rendered with an unbeliveble presence and realism. And the piano notes are sweet and extended. Melody Gardot, Jane Monheit, Eliane Elias, Diana Krall, among others never sound so wonderful! Today is sunday but I had other things to do besides listening to the SSA. Guess what, the day is over and I just couldn't switch off the amplifier!

I'm going to build this amp the best I know how, with nice parts, nice chassis, nice psu. I'm waiting for some parts including the fets. I ordered these from here:Mosfets I Hope they aren't fakes.

Any sugestions about how to build a nice power supply for the SSA?

Hi paulo.

The precision zeners are there to fine tune the output voltage to match the + and - supply close in value, within millivolts. :)

Hi Shaan, I think you forgot to include on your SSA Impotant Links on how to do the biasing on your SSA amps. I'm for sure it will be helpful to eveyone who is attempting to build it, specially on the first power up of the amp. Just my two cents.

Fred

Hi Shaan, I think you forgot to include on your SSA Impotant Links on how to do the biasing on your SSA amps. I'm for sure it will be helpful to eveyone who is attempting to build it, specially on the first power up of the amp. Just my two cents.

Fred

You don't need to bias the amp, the 2 1N4148 set the bias for the fets. You need to ajust the dc offset with the trimpots or use the servo version instead.

How much current goes trough the zeners?
How many volts should be across the transistors? (vin-Vout)
I is Set by the 380 Ohm. (V=RI) need ~ 1/100 of the requested output current.

Vin-Vout/Vin is perfect around 7%: More, you need more power dissipation for the power transistor, less, you have less margin when AC flows or high demand. Tune-it to let a little margin when full power with the amp on its charge.
If it is too complicated, just change the Zener total values to let 25/30V in the TL431, according to your V.
It is the simplest stabilization you can find, so simple that i think it need no further out of topic explanations.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.