Simple Killer Amp - Listening impressions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jam said:
Hi Macka,

I will be waiting for your further thoughts on the amp. haw about a comparison with the Aleph?.............In the Summer Time.........was that not a song by Mungo Jerry:D

I am still trying to get hold of Greg to order some kits.

Regards,
Jam

Dazzled and Confused..The Song Remains the Same.......

There are a lot of similarities, anyone who owns an Aleph knows how romantic and engaging that design can be.

What strikes me with this amp is the utter clarity of it.

There is a spatial transient capability and naturalness in the mid and the upper registers that enables very clear resolving power of individual notes. Transients snap cleanly like chalk, no blurr, no fuzz, no over shoot.

The result is sound staging that draws you in and solidarity of imaging borders on the finest Class A perfomance.

The amp is easy to listen, tonally very neutral and never overplays a particular area.

But it draws your attention because it's so real sounding.

I think its got the best front end of any A/B amp I have ever heard.

I am playing James Reyne "Reckless" from the album "The Horse You Rode in On"..stunning magic.

Greg should be very proud of what he has done with this design...I am ..another brilliant Australian design.

Five stars *****

:cheers:

Ian

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 2,959
A different angle

I used Conrad heatsinks, 3 mm plate aluminium and 12 mm square rod all tapped and bolted with M4 bolts. The heatsinks are overkill but they make a great chassis.

The intention is to put another channel in there maybe sometime

The rails are right on 50 volts, the supply +-20,000 uf. A Blue LED will of course go on the front ..shortly.

As I was saying to Greg, its bomb proof.

While building the boards I was distracted by the Aust Open Tennis and put all the power fets in the wrong place and baked the 10R bias setup resisters. I fixed that and it still goes! Those IRF Power fets are incredibly tough.

Macka

Attachments

• image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 2,681
Great even with a Handicap!

Following the inital assessment I noticed some coarsness in the midrange on some program material. On checking the wiring of a recently installed crossover network (bi amp - 3 way passive crossover) a wiring error was identified reversing the phase of one of the mid cones and was corrected.

The fact that is sounded as good as it did prior to this fix was a surprise.

I am pleased to advise the amp now sounds even more fluid and its grip tightens as the challenger to class A supremacy.

Time to raise the Bar to run the Turn Table.

If time permits I will post some more auditions during the week.

An order will of course be posted for the 300 watt version shortly.

That should really get the Ball rolling!

Macka

Attachments

• vinyl3.jpg
    vinyl3.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 2,401
macka,
I am in the process of recieving the kit from greg.
How would you characterize the lower octaves of GB150d.

i have a dynaudio 52se powered by nad t753 reciever , a very sad combination, tried a 55W amplifier which did improve things but i am still still a long way from reaching my "destination".

I really can't say as i am biamping with the GD150D on the mid and top end and another refererence amp on the woofer.

http://www.passdiy.com/gallery/hi-lo-xover-p1.htm

However when the GD300 is ordered and built I will respond!

Biamping is the only way to go for something like this system, particularly if you want to determine the true accuracy of an amplifier. This particular monitor has reputation for the most accurate and effortless bass, the woofer is a JBL 2245 18 inch driver.

mackabags;)

Attachments

• 4345.jpg
    4345.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 2,279
Planned power..Excess NOT.

The monitors are the 4345 Professional Series.

Well if the truth be known I have used everything from a JLH , an Aleph 3, an Aleph 5, an Aleph 60, an Aleph 2, an X Aleph 100 watt, a PSS600 to a 350 watt Phase Linear.

My intent is to also try a Jfet power amp when I get a moment.

Quality nothing to do with power when it comes to diy but power does have advantages looking at the current Passlabs X Series 0.5 range. Go figure;) .

I'll post my impressions soon...

I've recieved two beautiful pcbs of GB150D from Greg yesterday and I'll inform you about my impressions when I'm done with the construction. Refering to the pcbs, I must admit that Greg has done a great job. They are very well designed and they have the best quality I've ever met in a kit.
Well done Greg...Well done!
If its sonics are as good as it looks...then we can say that we have the DIY winner for this year...

ShinOBIWAN said:
My SKA's arrived and are ready to go:

Greg has done an excellent job with the board layout - extremely tidy.

Will post some thoughts on the sound later.

It is a pity Greg amplifierguru did not behave too well.
So, he will not be able to comment in this topic.
But I am sure he will read anything posted here.
:)

By the way, he is a member at DIYHIFI.org Forum:
Greg's Simple Killer Amp Q&A , How good?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
lineup said:

It is a pity Greg amplifierguru did not behave too well.
So, he will not be able to comment in this topic.
But I am sure he will read anything posted here.
:)

By the way, he is a member at DIYHIFI.org Forum:
Greg's Simple Killer Amp Q&A , How good?

I'd really like to see Greg reinstated.

I've had email conversation with him and he's a likeable character. I'm not quite sure where all the tension came from in previous threads but it certainly didn't warrant a ban, the mods were bang out of order there, it should have been another more prolonged sin-bin at best. I've seen folks on here get away with much less.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.