Silver RCA Cable-share your experience, opinions here!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, i made a set of pure silver wires following exactly Allen Wrights Cable Cook Book.
XLR to XLR for MC to Phono Preamp and a second pair from Phonostage to Line In of the Preamp. I used his recommended scotch tapes and whatever.
My only mod was a protection shield made out of those variable size plastic hose.
Connectors Neutrik XLR silver contact.

My previous wiring was original FM Acoustics Cable with the same connectors from Neutrik, FM sez its mandatory to use his cable to get best ratio from disturbances and so on.

With the very expensive FM Cables i always had issues with receiving some radio stations while listening recordss and there was a humming noise floor at really low level, but i could hear it sometimes.

With the Allan Wright style silver cables the hum was gone, the Radio station also.

My conclusion is, that the construction of the wire eliminated my problems.
Silver or copper, i have no clue whats better.
Ohmic values could not be the factor which eliminated the problems, on the other hand there was no copper wire with the size of of the silver cable available, thus no comparison possible, be it silver or whatever.

The Phonostage out is very low ohms and the Line In of the Preamp is 47K.
MC has 42 Ohms and Phono Input setting is 470 Ohms.

In the end, i stay with this configuration, and some clients using the same wiring reported all is fine.

Thus, i recommend the silver wiring, nothing wrong therewith, no hum, no radio, and the price was ok in my mind.
Lacking the radio station and the hum i can hear more details , thats pretty ok for my approach.
Greez
Frank

I see where this is going! well to be honest even the joints sounded better after the mains supply upgrade. At the moment im running a point to point lm3886. so not many joints . But now you have got me thinking would it be better if i use an amplifier with lots of joints maybe the sum of them will sound even better with the supply upgrade! it worked on everything else .. Then again it always sounds better after the joints :)

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Yes the ratio of dry source to extra joints is directly proportional. or did i get that all mixed up! I think it is something to do with all theses joints!!! Any ideas bill ?

Joints are not the problem. There is a good reason why a dedicated spur can improve things and it's entirely consistent with known physics as taught. You are reducing loop area, and this is good.

I cannot believe the complete and utter nonsense that's being put in this thread! If they're genuine - not trolls - then I'm really very worried about the sanity of Audiophiles.

I'm happy to test my 50p Amazon phono to phono leads against any other product in a truly blind testing. I'll throw my Audio Precision Test Set away if anyone can correctly identify different phono interconnect cables ten times out of ten in a genuine blind test, since real measured results are obviously so worthless....

It's actually funny that people are so utterly convinced that they can hear a difference between 0.1% THD and 0.01% THD from their amplifiers, when their loudspeakers are adding several percent distortion.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
@Mictester. Sorry for the silly question but your handle is confusing me (easily done) are you

a) someone who tests microphones
b) someone called Mic who tests things

It's been troubling me...

P.S. You've been dormant here for a while. There are many views here. This is I believe repetitive argument #7 that goes around and around. :D. I would avoid the blowtorch thread for your sanity though.

@Mictester. Sorry for the silly question but your handle is confusing me (easily done) are you

a) someone who tests microphones
b) someone called Mic who tests things

It's been troubling me...

P.S. You've been dormant here for a while. There are many views here. This is I believe repetitive argument #7 that goes around and around. :D. I would avoid the blowtorch thread for your sanity though.

The answer is (A). When I used to sing professionally, I was rather loud - hence "Mictester"!

I cannot believe the complete and utter nonsense that's being put in this thread!

I enjoy putting complete and utter nonsense in this thread!

So, for me, it's not a complete washout!

Attachments

• Fairy Liquid.jpg
    Fairy Liquid.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 181
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.