Silver RCA Cable-share your experience, opinions here!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This could be one of those rare occasions when Feynman got something wrong. It is best to think of the Poynting vector not as the flow of energy but as a means to calculate where the energy ends up. As I said, in a simple DC circuit the energy is actually carried by the electrons as potential energy. It can't be carried twice, as that would double the dissipation.

Or is he talking about RF where energy is transferred from the EM field to the conductor as in a antenna?

well after all of that I have switched back to my copper cables lol I think I prefer the sound of them to plain silver wire-despite what people say it does sound "brighter" and has a harsher sound than copper even though ironically it is more detailed-despite what people may say I have come to the conclusion that at least if your using electrostatic speakers there is an improvement in detail but whether it is to your taste is another thing. It really can make bad recordings sound worse on my system anyway so im steering clear :)

That is expected... you have to anneal the silver wire, or use multiple runs of silver wire in parallel, or mix it with a bit of pure copper (or pure copper - gold plated).

Also, with electrostatics and, in particular, transistor AB push-pull designs, copper may sound "better"... But, you could use copper ribbons in that case; just don't use copper Litz/copper multistrand wire <- that's terrible!

Attachments

• IMG_2851.JPG
    IMG_2851.JPG
    357.3 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
well after all of that I have switched back to my copper cables lol I think I prefer the sound of them to plain silver wire-despite what people say it does sound "brighter" and has a harsher sound than copper even though ironically it is more detailed-despite what people may say I have come to the conclusion that at least if your using electrostatic speakers there is an improvement in detail but whether it is to your taste is another thing. It really can make bad recordings sound worse on my system anyway so im steering clear :)
You could use tone controls for more flexibility

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
That is expected... you have to anneal the silver wire, or use multiple runs of silver wire in parallel, or mix it with a bit of pure copper (or pure copper - gold plated).

Also, with electrostatics and, in particular, transistor AB push-pull designs, copper may sound "better"... But, you could use copper ribbons in that case; just don't use copper Litz/copper multistrand wire <- that's terrible!

I see:emoticon::emoticon::emoticon:

Thank you guys.

I've got the gist! Think I'll call this not so uncommon phenomenon the 'Hawksworth Effect'!

It's very common in academia. Many academics (like me) know their subjects very well, but when they try to apply their knowledge to other fields, they come unstuck!

On a related topic - I'm considering offering a substantial monetary prize for anyone who can correctly identify their "magic" interconnects, speaker cables or even mains leads in a genuinely double-blind test. They'd have to identify their cables 10 times out of 10 against my generic cheap ones. The entry fee will be $1000 each to prevent time-wasters. I'm certain to collect a lot of £1000 entry fees and never have to pay out!

mictester said:
Many academics (like me) know their subjects very well, but when they try to apply their knowledge to other fields, they come unstuck!
The snag is that for Hawksford audio is supposed to be his subject! It would be interesting to know where and what his undergraduate degree was. It is conceivable that if it was EE in one of our lesser universities he could have been left with a mind full of misunderstandings.

You could use tone controls for more flexibility

Plus one for tone controls, but only if the potentiometers are of the wirewound annealed silver and copper composite type! ;)

Seriously, with the variations in brightness between my vintage vinyl records, I find the treble control to be indespensible. Also, a little bass boost is beneficial to some recordings which sound thin in that region.

Obviously I am not a perfectionist when it comes to reproducing the sound as the recording engineer intended! For me, the ability to make 'on the fly' adjustments of tonal balance outweighs any slight audible distortion which may be introduced by the tone controls.

I certainly won't be employing exotic cables as expensive and inflexible tone controls!

Here it says
Malcolm O. J. Hawksford was educated at Aston University in Birmingham, UK where he received his B.Sc. with first-class honours in 1968, Ph.D. in 1972 and D.Sc. in 2008.
According to researchgate he studied EE at Aston. Sadly, the British university system means that most EE students (and, hence, some EE teachers) don't get exposed to enough of the underlying physics and maths to really understand EE theory but in most cases they are not aware of this.

It's very common in academia. Many academics (like me) know their subjects very well, but when they try to apply their knowledge to other fields, they come unstuck!

Not meant to be offensive, but that´s what you just gave an example for by your "bet" proposal. ;)

On a related topic - I'm considering offering a substantial monetary prize for anyone who can correctly identify their "magic" interconnects, speaker cables or even mains leads in a genuinely double-blind test. They'd have to identify their cables 10 times out of 10 against my generic cheap ones. The entry fee will be $1000 each to prevent time-wasters. I'm certain to collect a lot of £1000 entry fees and never have to pay out!

Bias most likely all over the place, heavy impact from money bets (also most likely) and even without that quite high risk to commit an error of the second kind due to small number of trials. Admitting some of the concerns could be settled with final agreement about the test conditions, controls and so on, but this kind of proposal isn´t that encouraging.......
Party parlor tricks don´t help in these discussions - imo of course.

@speedskater,

One would think that if cables did any of the strange things written about in audiophile threads like this, that someone in the real world scientific, medical or instrumentation fields would have noticed the problem a long time ago.

Can´t say if it were due to this alleged "strange things" but the "someones" realized quite a long time before audiophiles began to talk about cables, that you need different constructions for different purposes. That´s the reason why most the today existing designs were existing already.

Last edited:
Even Military cables don't cost as much as some audiophile cables. The engineers designin the military electronics must not know what they are doing. :eek:

Not true some APC cables designed for traceable to NIST calibration can cost $700 a meter terminated (but that is for DC to 22GHz). But in general it is true, life critical medical electronics does not avail itself of a single one of these phenomena, what a shame.

Last edited:
Not true some APC cables designed for traceable to NIST calibration can cost $700 a meter terminated (but that is for DC to 22GHz). But in general it is true, life critical medical electronics does not avail itself of a single one of these phenomena, what a shame.

A pair of 1.85mm flexible test port microwave cables (up to 67GHz) from Agilent (N4697F) cost north of USD10,000 and that's before import taxes and VAT. They are gold plated, phase stable and phase matched, which makes them ideal as interconnects between a Blowhard preamp and a Wavac power amplifier.

One would think that if cables did any of the strange things written about in audiophile threads like this, that someone in the real world scientific, medical or instrumentation fields would have noticed the problem a long time ago.

The problem is most EE aren't scientists. They are great at designing to yield quantitative performance but when it comes to music reproduction cant understand the scientific concept of validity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.