"Silver-Carbon" Pot ex Tawan - Photo - & ignore my ugly Pinky!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Electric guitar knobs work on standard splined shafts.
Hey, you could have dice shaped knobs on your preamp-or skulls!!

Seriously , they do make some nice guitar/amp knobs....
I like the ones that are knurled chrome cylinders.

Hmmmm how about Fender knobs on a sunburst maple wood panel...

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
From what I can see, the 9mm Alpha pots stocked by Mouser are all singles. They do have ganged 12mm units in both linear and audio taper, so you can try the quasi audio taper shunt resistor hack if you don't trust the tracking of the ganged audio taper pots. I have no idea if their ganged 12mm and larger pots sound as good as the 9mm ones, but they're pretty cheap, so it won't cost you a lot to find out either way...

I have asked Alpha about this and they sent me this picture.

They look fairly similar to me.

Minimum order quantity is 1000 though.

Attachments

• alpha060s.jpg
    alpha060s.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,140
does anyone have experience with the discussed pots and this panasonic?

panasonic EVJ-C20F02D54, datasheet , digi# P2U4503, $2.66 US.

a little while ago the opinion in the headamp crowd was there really wasn't anything to choose between it and the expensive alps blue. i'm curious where it fits with the experience of the group here.

Peter,

I'm sure you know we're all interested in your long-term listening impressions. Hope these are the giant-killers they promise to be.

I also ordered some of these pots to try out but don't have a gainclone ready to put them in at the moment. So I haven't listened, yet.

I ordered mine directly from the Jaycar website. They arrived stateside with no problems. Seems to me this is the most direct way of purchasing these.

Hope others will have a chance to try these out and post their impressions.

Thanks,
KT

EDIT: i just realized my post was unclear. it could be read to mean the pana EVJ was considered equivalent to the alps blue, which would be crazy talk.

i meant only that they'd found nothing cheaper than the alps that was better than the little EVJ; if you wanted better then you should go straight to the blue. sorry for the confusion.

I'm curious to hear if anyone has listened to a cermet pot, like from Bourns or Spectrol/Vishay,and how they would compare to the lot mentioned so far. I'm considereing volume and balance controls for a new preamp, and the variety is overwhelming, to say the least. The preamp will be arranged so that aux inputs see the pot first through a coupling cap, followed by a line level buffer.

I've used a few of these. Hell they're the only decent quality pot here unless you go to RS or the like.

I can't compare them to anything but cheapy pots and they're certainly much better. Low level channel seperation is tighter and they weren't as muddy sounding.

Cheap at $5.50 AU too.

*edit: Here's one I destroyed earlier, actually I killed the shaft ;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

wrenchone said:
I'm curious to hear if anyone has listened to a cermet pot, like from Bourns or Spectrol/Vishay,and how they would compare to the lot mentioned so far.

For me, I've found cermets to be the least preferred. But don't let that stop you. If you don't mind spending a few bucks, I'd recommend trying several different ones and decide for yourself what sounds best to you.

se

Here's a PEC I dissected some time ago.

The wiper, unlike most other pots which use some sort of stamped spring metal, is that little back slug of carbon at the bottom in the second row from the left. It seats in the piece of molded plastic just above it and it floats in the two holes in the spring steel wafer attached to the shaft.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

se

wrenchone said:
I'm curious to hear if anyone has listened to a cermet pot, like from Bourns or Spectrol/Vishay,and how they would compare to the lot mentioned so far. I'm considereing volume and balance controls for a new preamp, and the variety is overwhelming, to say the least. The preamp will be arranged so that aux inputs see the pot first through a coupling cap, followed by a line level buffer.

Im using a cermet Vishay P11 and think they are amazing. Havent had any pots in this thread to compare it to though.
Its also available in more channels.

Im still looking for alternatives that have up to 6 channels though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.