"Silver-Carbon" Pot ex Tawan - Photo - & ignore my ugly Pinky!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Still not necessarily the only Alpha pot that is up to the job, though it's nice to know that Jaycar has the original parts in question after all this time. I have some similar-looking Alpha parts purchased from Mouser a while back, teeny and green, sealed well (a plus), with smooth, well-damped action. Unfortunately, they are a little too low in resistance for what I currently have in mind.

I also have a couple of coencentric sets intended for a guitar (still available on E-pray) that look like they might also be Alpha units, though a different type - they'll get tried as a law-fake with a good quality metal film resistor. I also have some promising Russian carbon pots that are well put together, with heavy duty tracks and trifurcated wipers. Law-fake again...

I'm currently working with two pots in my preamp test boxes - one box uses a Vishay/Sfernice 10k coencentric audio taper pot of unknown pedigree (cermet or CP?) that sounds pretty decent. My other box uses old 50k audio taper Noble "black brick" pots with step detents, purchased from a guy on Ebay that was selling a lot of Hafler replacement pots. I want to try swapping them out for something else to see if I can hear the difference. If Jaycar has some of the values I want, I may grab a few of the Alpha parts and give them a try. One of the reasons I have these two boxes is to mix and match guts, so I can keep one playing while I'm tinkering with the other. Pots are a natural thing to try next once my other circuitry settles down a bit.

Edit - I just checked the Jaycar site, and the pots pictured have knurled split shafts - the only option?

Last edited:
I'm sure decent knurled knobs abound, but they won't match what I'm currently using, especially for my source selector switch, which is resolutely solid-shaft.
I'm currently using some retro-looking bakelite knobs that I snitched off some old rheostats.
If I end up getting some of the Jaycar pots, I may resort to wrapping tape around the shafts and filling the slot with JB Weld, so that they'll be more compatible with the usual set screw knobs.

I'll be trying this guy out - whether it's Alpha or a knockoff I have no idea. It doesn't really matter anyway, as long as it sounds good - the basic point of this thread after all. The pot shown is 250k, linear taper with coencentric shafts. I'm waiting for some nice black knurled knobs to top it off - guitar parts sellers on Fleabay have them, which is also where I found the pots. The pot will be law-faked with a pair of good quality 41.2k resistors. I'll check back in after I've done some listening.

Attachments

• Img_6234.jpg
    Img_6234.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
The box where that particular pot is destined uses a single coencentric volume control. Right now it sports a 10k coencentric shaft Vishay/Sfernice pot. I wanted to try something with higher impedance to make life easier for my signal sources. If/ when I try the Jaycar pots, they'd be going up against some Noble "black brick" 50k CP pots in my other test box. In that box I have 2 separate controls for volume/balance, so the Jaycar/Alpha pots would work there.

I was doing some more Ebay scrounging a short while ago, and I located some Alpha 50k audio taper coencentric shaft pots at one of the guitar parts sellers. They are one of the larger size models rather than the little greenies. I'm strrongly considering giving them a spin to see if any "Alpha magic" rubs off...

Floating around in some spare parts in the living room were a pair of Alpha "tiny green" 9 mm 50K audio taper pots. I'm inclined to try them in one of my test boxes when I figure out a way to get all the wires in place on the tiny thing (an intermediary bit of perf/vero board comes to mind). The size difference between the Alpha pots and the Noble pots they're slated to replace is hilarious...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.