Short Thor build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm almost done finishing the cabs, then I have to do the xovers. I've been out of work for some time, so I've been able to devote a lot of time to the project, but I only bought one tweeter and one woofer, to get dimensions from. I'll have to wait until I get a job to get the rest of the drivers, but they'll be all ready when I do!

I'll probably give them a good burn in before tweaking, but I built the cabs so the bottoms are removable for easy access to the xovers and stuffing.

I'm almost done finishing the cabs, then I have to do the xovers. I've been out of work for some time, so I've been able to devote a lot of time to the project, but I only bought one tweeter and one woofer, to get dimensions from. I'll have to wait until I get a job to get the rest of the drivers, but they'll be all ready when I do!

I'll probably give them a good burn in before tweaking, but I built the cabs so the bottoms are removable for easy access to the xovers and stuffing.

That's how I built mine too. Still it's a PITA to have the Xo's inside. Experience speaking.

Ron

Totally agree Jackinnj,
Tweeking made easy! And a display box too! What more could you ask for? (other than active XO) ;)

Ron

Attachments

• Thor Crossover 007.jpg
    Thor Crossover 007.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 664
I finally got the xovers soldered up:

Now the exciting part !!!!!! Firing them up. I found that they took a couple weeks of playing -- perhaps it's my hearing system -- but I prefer them to the kilobuck ones in the living room (WAF figured in).

At the moment I am listening to an Oxford Camerata recording of "Spem in Alium" on Naxos -- and the Thors handle the double choir quite capably. This recording was only 6 L-

Mattmd,

Just something I saw on your Xover layout, you might want to stand one of those large coils (inductors)vertically, they could effect each other in a negative way otherwise.
If you look at the picture of my Xovers above, you'll see the green one standing proud.

Jackinnj,
What are your "Megabuck" speakers? Are you driving your Thor with your F5s?

Ron

Last edited:
I got the speakers finished, and I'm completely blown away. The detail, texture and staging are nothing short of amazing. The bass is very solid but superbly detailed- I'm hearing texture where before I heard just notes. I am hearing new things in albums I've listened to for 25 years! These are truly worth every penny and every second of time.

(That good, and I'm running an mp3 player through a 25 year old Rotel solid state integrated amp with extremely dirty pots)

I'll post pics as soon as I can tear myself away from listening.

Here are some pics. I built the speakers before the listening room, so pardon the surroundings.

Very nice indeed. I am still in midstream with mine and scared to go much further until I can figure out some questions.

1. The first modded XO's showed polarity reversed on the milleneum. The latest mod does not show this or did i read it wrong?

2. In Short Thor, should stuffing be applied to the first (driver) section only
or spread to the entire upper section of the cabs?

3. The preferred port lenght appears to be 5 1/16 + 3/4 + 3/4 for 6 9/16.
is this correct?

4. What should be the final DC resistance at the post when all is hooked up?
Mistakes now just cost too much.

I really could use some help here folks. Thanks again to all who have helped so far.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.