Shigaclone MKII Black - The builders Thread

I have a question...of the trimmer we modified ......only two pins from the three are being used....contrary to a volume pot meter.

Am I correct in saying that those are the two on the right side close to eachother...
(i do hope so since I noticed a difference..lol)

Two of the three pins must be connected to eachother in order for a variable resistance so it probably does not matter...?

Last edited:
I have a question...of the trimmer we modified ......only two pins from the three are being used....contrary to a volume pot meter.

Am I correct in saying that those are the two on the right side close to eachother...
(i do hope so since I noticed a difference..lol)

Yes, only the two on the right side.
The left one (middle one) is connected to the top one.

Regards,
Tibi

I hate solder with silver... Mostly because there is no Pb in them and it's very easy to mess up. You also have to be very careful with your positioning tactics... No moving around and stuff...

If you are not (as Tibi said) a guru with black belt and 10 dans in soldering I would forget it in difficult places. A cold joint with a spec of silver is not going to be better than a proper silver-free joint.

Thanks for the input, is there a way to check continuity of the first mod the single XR5 replacement? Is there an access point for this circuit that you can get to with a multi-meter? Also I was thinking about using a good solder paste and heat gun possibly on second mod, do you think there is resist on pcb, or is this a totally off the wall idea?Does Ag solder work well with heat gun or is solder iron best do you think? I have 852D+ hot air. Thanks once again

Thanks for the input, is there a way to check continuity of the first mod the single XR5 replacement? Is there an access point for this circuit that you can get to with a multi-meter? Also I was thinking about using a good solder paste and heat gun possibly on second mod, do you think there is resist on pcb, or is this a totally off the wall idea?Does Ag solder work well with heat gun or is solder iron best do you think? I have 852D+ hot air. Thanks once again

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-QF0EAtUuteQkNLdTZCX2tkVjg/edit

In first page you have connector drawing. You should check continuity with ground pin 9 and respectively pin 1 and 2.
Pin1 is for Vref=2.5V decoupling and pin2 is for Vcc=5V decoupling.

Regards,
Tibi

Quick question about V1 and V2.

I m thinking of giving them one shared transformer and diodes.

Or should I use a third transformer too? Going way overboard with diminishing returns?

To be honest I would be perfectly happy closing it as it is :) I am more curious and playful right now rather than expecting more improvement...

By the way, where do we attach the ground and V+ for the external super regs? At the middle leg of the socket for ground and not dotted one for V+??

Last edited:
Quick question about V1 and V2.

I m thinking of giving them one shared transformer and diodes.

Or should I use a third transformer too? Going way overboard with diminishing returns?

To be honest I would be perfectly happy closing it as it is :) I am more curious and playful right now rather than expecting more improvement...

By the way, where do we attach the ground and V+ for the external super regs? At the middle leg of the socket for ground and not dotted one for V+??

For V1 and V2 one shared power supply should be OK.
Ground point is at J6.
Super regs V+=5V must go to middle hole.

Regards,
Tibi