SEWA - Seven Watt Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

Thanks for the nice words!:)
Here is the schematic.
I think it is as simple as possible!

I forgot some parameters:
Case weight: 15Kg
Temp: only around 40C. (!)

I'm no good at webdesign, so I need help to do it properly.
I think I could...... if you want.:)

Greets:

Tyimo

P.S.: No CCS, No resistor! Choke Load is RULEZ!!:D

Attachments

• clota1.jpg
    clota1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 2,392
Thanks Mads!

Do you really need the 8R2 between GND and 0V?

Yes. I think it is very good for keep the amp noiseless. I used to built my JLH1969 the same way.
What do you think what could be better: to use two 100R gate resistor like i did or only one 220R?

I forgot to tell: I drive my amp with Geek's Tub Preamp for SEWA E88CC mu follower. Maybe I am a perverse, but I atracted to the "followers"......:D :D

Greets:

Tyimo

Try to short them and listen if you can tell the difference. It will give you test of your grounding arrangement; you shouldn't need it ;)

The two 100R's perform two different tasks. The first one is to shield the source (preamp) from looking directly onto the zener (also, it slows down the charge/discharge of its capacitance), the second to keep the mosfet from parasitic oscillation :)

If you want, you could place the first 100R directly in line with the zener, to have only 100R in series with the mosfet gate ;)

Try to short them and listen if you can tell the difference.
Good idea!

It will give you test of your grounding arrangement; you shouldn't need it
In this time I tryed a "new" way of grounding and it is working perfect. I connected only the case to the mains safety earth. Nothing more.

As you remember last time I had very serious noise truble with my Tubpre and SEWA connection. I didn't tell you how solved I the problem:
-Tubepre's input RCA's shield is connected to the case and to the mains safety earth.
-SEWA PSU grund and the (isolated) input RCA's shield connected together into one starpoint, then via 10R/5W+220nF to the case and to the mains safety earth. Only this variation worked good. So I can hear some very little idle noise from 30cm.

Until now all of my DIY amps has a very-very little idle noise. Sure You know this very little hissss sound. With my new amp ther is absolutely 0 noise! I think my groundig is perfect.

The two 100R's perform two different tasks.
Thanks. So I will leave as it is.

Greets:

Tyimo

I used diode bridge instead of the 10R thermistors.
I also tryed 10R resistors without succes.
The solution was that I had to connect the input RCA's shild to gether. I got even better result with the PSU ground and the input ground together etc. as I wrote. I don't know why I need have to do this. It is strange..... Woodoo.... The most important was the 2 RCA need to connect together!?! Why?!? I don't understand......

Tyimo

I would love to build a sewa like Mads & Tyimo but I'm not an electrical engineer -- just a programmer that enjoys listening to music and woodworking.

Is there any way for someone to assemble a kit that could be built by a novice? I have no idea how to read schematics (my college EE courses were many years ago) or order a PCB.

many regards,
Dave

A bit about myself: during college and afterwards I was an audio geek. In college I had a pair of Magnepan 2.5R's and an Aragon 8008BB. After college I bought some Cary SE amps and a sonic frontiers pre-amp driving some Soliloquy speakers.

After selling off my system to pay for bills & three kids, etc I'm really missing audio.

PS Thanks for hours of great reading and whetting my appetite to get back into critical listening.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Nah, I would take a look at this Burson, and money well spent - but they do have more expencive stuff

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0807/bursonaudio_pi_100_buffer.htm

Instead you should use your woodworking skills and make some really nice speakers - the Burson will drive any speaker you like

OR this cheap little Trends amp may be interesting with an effektive SPAWN family speaker - there is some devellopment going on at the moment, so its hard to say which Spawn design to prefer, that is if you like fullrange sound at all

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/trends_ta10_e.html

http://www.frugal-horn.com/spawn.html

Or maybe one of these GM BIBs

http://www.zillaspeak.com/BIB-Supravox.asp
:)

Dave or "marc brown", where in Maryland??? I'm a little further north but my brother "a programer" lives down there... I've seen a few members from NJ, NY, Md, Penn area. Or are you on the south side?
You can't get to much simpler but there is a handfull of other similar simplistic ideas. You just need a little help getting started :D

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I'm in Germantown, MD -- about 20 miles north of D.C.

I'm sure the SEWA is pretty simple -- I just need some hand holding ;) .

I'm a programmer myself, in bethesda. I took a bunch of EE courses in college for my engineering degree but they never seemed as easy as the differential equations or thermodynamics.

:cannotbe:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.