Semisouth goes Dodo ; what now ?

Nice and balanced article.

Notwithstanding the GDS pinout and the differences in semiconductor physics,
from a practical perspective, the device appears to be similar to a BJT.

At least in the context of a linear audio amplifier output device.
Interesting part.

Thanks NP

Last edited:
This device is quite unique - it cannot be classified in the traditional NPN structure, or like a FET. It switches like a FET (purely capacitive); but has current gain (which if you think about it a JFET also has a finite current gain). In terms of temperature dependence of on-state and switching characteristics, it is a FET-like behavior. The physics of operation is NOT bipolar, and that is why we do not refer to this device as a "bipolar" transistor. It is not just a marketing game - there are good reasons for this nomenclature that many "experts" did not understand.

Does your company condone posting this nonsense on a public forum.

Attachments

• gan.jpg
    gan.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 498
BTW, I built a "Zen" version of an amplifier using the GA10JT12 in a single-
stage single-ended Common-Source amplifier without feedback, and I will
be posting the results shortly.

:cool:

Does anyone know if Papa ever built anything with the Cree SiC mosfets he bought a while back? Perhaps he skipped over them and built this amp instead. Just wondering if I missed anything.

I don't think you've missed anything, but it would be a treat to read some of his wand-waving, or caveats at large regarding any issues. I know one of the C3M's didn't like my mini. Or vice versa. Haven't adjusted anything in the diff pair or rest of the amp, but might play around after the holidays to see if anything helps.. sound wise. I don't own any test equipment beyond DVM